Revving High Question, my first Honda ever... [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Revving High Question, my first Honda ever...

Finance Guru Z
09-04-2008, 12:11 PM
hey guys,

this is my first honda ever. i have a 2008 accord lx-s coupe.

Does this car for some reason have all its power only after 3000, or really 3500+ rpms?? Its brand new, and i dont wanna hurt the car....but, its kinda fun. Can somebody tell me some history or details about the high revving tendency for this i-4 coupe??

i got the i-4 for its efficiency. my mileage is horrible, granted theres barely 1k on the odometer, and i kno it needs about 4-6k miles to really break in etc etc. ill take performance over efficiency any day tho.

rwlib3
09-04-2008, 12:19 PM
VTEC kicks in at higher RPMs.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC

VTEC = More Powa!

VTEC (also) = more fuel!

USAFRET
09-04-2008, 12:25 PM
You say this is your first Honda (mine too) but I'm a car guy and have learned to love TORQUE. My Corvette has over 400 ft lbs in a car that weighs in less than 3200 pounds. So it was no surprise that the 190HP I4 is a dog from a dead stop. But up around 3500 rpm's the motor suddenly "swells" and feels like it just gained 2 more cylinders.

You won't hurt anything as long as you avoid constant trips to the rev limiter.

rexflexall
09-04-2008, 12:32 PM
You'll be fine, you will see the Accord is very rev-happy. Yep, just be careful of redlining too much.

sjlee
09-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Another risk of revving the engine too high with a MT... if you miss an upshift and accidentally downshift, you'll over-rev the engine (i.e. rev beyond redline) and likely bend some valves.

Edaccord08
09-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Another risk of revving the engine too high with a MT... if you miss an upshift and accidentally downshift, you'll over-rev the engine (i.e. rev beyond redline) and likely bend some valves.

yes, but thats more a issue with V6 model, K24 can handle a lot higher rpm than stock rev limiter 7100/7300(though its a waste in stock form).

AznX TL
09-04-2008, 01:15 PM
yes, but thats more a issue with V6 model, K24 can handle a lot higher rpm than stock rev limiter 7100/7300(though its a waste in stock form).

dude, thats a huge risk for the k24. our redline is 7100, if you mis-shift its going to be in the 13k range which is like blown head.

Coolcrush
09-04-2008, 01:18 PM
hope you were not expecting the 4 to be fast

Edaccord08
09-04-2008, 01:29 PM
dude, thats a huge risk for the k24. our redline is 7100, if you mis-shift its going to be in the 13k range which is like blown head.
how would miss shift cause blow head gasket ?
most risk is value kissing the piston and bending it a bit.
I haven't heard a single issue with K24 but have seen many post issues on V6 models with rough running and loud drivetrain.

Also with due respect, how can you get to 13k by miss, thats be major screw up. maybe wrong down shift but not up shifting.
Anyway i think you missed my point, all i am saying is the V6 is way more prone to damage than K24, which can handle like 7600, You do have to be careful if your going up to redline a lot.
The auto's shift right before redline so the car is made to go high rpm.

AznX TL
09-04-2008, 01:48 PM
how would miss shift cause blow head gasket ?
most risk is value kissing the piston and bending it a bit.
I haven't heard a single issue with K24 but have seen many post issues on V6 models with rough running and loud drivetrain.

Also with due respect, how can you get to 13k by miss, thats be major screw up. maybe wrong down shift but not up shifting.
Anyway i think you missed my point, all i am saying is the V6 is way more prone to damage than K24, which can handle like 7600, You do have to be careful if your going up to redline a lot.
not head gasket, i mean actually bending the valves on the head. redlining 4th and putting it into 3rd would= disaster.
the auto transmission shifts by the driver's shifting patterns, if you floor it alot, it will shift at higher rpms, if you drive like a granny, it shifts low. the k24 isnt really a high revving engine compared to its k20/f20c counter parts.

sjlee
09-05-2008, 06:22 AM

13k is probably a bit of a exaggeration, but if you miss upshifting from 4th (put it into 3rd instead of 5th... trust me, it happens), you'll easily exceed 7600 rpms before you realize what you've done.

As far as an AT, you don't have to worry about mis-shifts since shifting is taken care of you. BTW, just about all vehicles with an AT will rev up to redline if you floor it... that doesn't necessarily mean that the engine was made for it (although in Honda's case, it usually is).

Yury
09-05-2008, 06:32 AM
shouldn't you bounce off the rev-limiter if you shift too low?

sjlee
09-05-2008, 06:33 AM
the k24 isnt really a high revving engine compared to its k20/f20c counter parts.

Agreed. The K24 can be found in such vehicles as the CR-V, TSX, Accord (both US and Euro) and Element. I think the redline on those vehicles ranges between 6500-7400.

Meanwhile, the K20 (found in the Civic Si) has a redline of 8200. Heck, the K20A found in the Accord Euro-R had a redline of 8800!

sjlee
09-05-2008, 06:35 AM

Correct. Missing an upshift is basically like downshifting too early. Plus, you won't be "bouncing off the rev-limiter"... you'll go beyond it.

AznX TL
09-05-2008, 06:45 AM

i think it actual hits fuel cut and shuts down the car.

sqa4life
09-05-2008, 08:03 AM
hey guys,

this is my first honda ever. i have a 2008 accord lx-s coupe.

Does this car for some reason have all its power only after 3000, or really 3500+ rpms?? Its brand new, and i dont wanna hurt the car....but, its kinda fun. Can somebody tell me some history or details about the high revving tendency for this i-4 coupe??

i got the i-4 for its efficiency. my mileage is horrible, granted theres barely 1k on the odometer, and i kno it needs about 4-6k miles to really break in etc etc. ill take performance over efficiency any day tho.

I feel your pain. I noticed the same issue. My previous 2000 Accord EX, 4cylinders didn't have this problem. It ran strong at low RPM.

My new 08 Accord EX has very little power at low RPM. Sometime I feel shame when the light turns green. It runs like a Metro until the RPM goes over 3000 RPM.

What can we do to gain power at low RPM?

AznX TL
09-05-2008, 08:09 AM
I feel your pain. I noticed the same issue. My previous 2000 Accord EX, 4cylinders didn't have this problem. It ran strong at low RPM.

My new 08 Accord EX has very little power at low RPM. Sometime I feel shame when the light turns green. It runs like a Metro until the RPM goes over 3000 RPM.

What can we do to gain power at low RPM?

was your 2000 accord auto? if so, it didnt have a problem because of gear ratios. i noticed this too from my f22b1, it was very quick in first gear. but it only had 4 gears.

Yury
09-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Correct. Missing an upshift is basically like downshifting too early. Plus, you won't be "bouncing off the rev-limiter"... you'll go beyond it.

Yes, "bounce" is not accurate. Anyway, the rev limiter should keep you from damaging anything....

Yury
09-05-2008, 10:16 AM
i think it actual hits fuel cut and shuts down the car.

Hope not! Loosing power at high speed is an awfully dangerous thing.

sjlee
09-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Hope not! Loosing power at high speed is an awfully dangerous thing.

It's not true. There is a fuel-cutoff, but it doesn't shut off the car... it simply prevents the engine from continuing to accelerate.

As far as the rev-limiter is concerned, if you do downshift with the RPMs too high (or miss an upshift), it won't make a difference. The rev-limiter only cuts off the fuel, it does not disengage the transmission from the engine. Therefore, the engine will still over-rev... just not under power.

I know first-hand. :yes: