08 Accord I4 Engine Rattle Noise [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: 08 Accord I4 Engine Rattle Noise

PINOY.RICHY
10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
does anyone of you have the same problem that im experiencing? on cold start there is a rattling noise on my engine when i first started the car the cooler... sounds like the chain is hitting the plastics or something... need help please is this normal or no?

treday630
10-06-2008, 07:48 PM
No and I were you I would take it to the dealer to get it checked out. But of course it will be to duplicate the problem since it's only happening during cold starts.

hispanicboi415
10-06-2008, 08:15 PM
if its something that only happens when its a cold start then your best bet will be to leave it there overnight. but ill try and check mines, see if i have the same thing or not.

sqa4life
10-07-2008, 10:52 AM
mine does the same for about 10 secs, then went away. I think that's normal.

PINOY.RICHY
10-07-2008, 04:31 PM
i took it to the dealership and they found out that the "power steering pump" is faulty that's why its making the noise.

Honda247
10-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Did they warranty that?

PINOY.RICHY
10-07-2008, 05:43 PM
yup...

PINOY.RICHY
10-09-2008, 07:23 PM
update on the engine noise.... i just received a call from the dealership they told me that its not the power steering pump its the timming chain tensioner or something lolz...

hispanicboi415
10-09-2008, 09:29 PM
:paranoid: looks like they arent too sure either. i checked mine out but i couldnt hear anything out of the ordinary. so far so good! was the noise really obvious?

PINOY.RICHY
10-13-2008, 07:24 PM
just got my car back last friday and then started saturday morning noise is still there i called the dealership they told me bring back the car for the 3rd time... they replaced the power steering pump and something else...

puffball
11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
I have the exact same problem on my 08 Accord I4. Pinoy, did you finally get it fixed? What was the exact cause of the noise? Thanks

shogun
11-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Rattling during start-up? Sounds like valves..Get it checked ASAP

puffball
11-13-2008, 08:49 AM
The rattling is more like gear slip noise rather than rattling. And it only happens on startup after the car has been sitting for a couple of hours (so usually in the morning when I go to work and after work), doesn't matter if it's cold or hot outside.

jayknight
11-13-2008, 08:56 AM
I dont know if the inline4 k24 has a auto chain tensioner like my brother altima does. Maybe one test you can do is, turn the ign to on but wait 5 seconds before starting the car. See if the noise is appearen or not.

puffball
11-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks jayknight! I'll try that out tonight and tomorrow morning. I think Pinoy mentioned something about getting his timing chain tensioner looked at, but it didn't help. Does the auto chain tensioner activate when the car goes into ON mode before engine start?

jayknight
11-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Maybe, it can be. If it is electronic control. Then yes, if not then no. Since the i4's have cam phasing on the intake cam. Maybe the ecu is changing the cam phasing to get the engine to start up easily?

hwilljr88
11-13-2008, 09:38 AM
well mine has tha same annoying ass rattle...its so damn embarrassing especially when u get in a brand new car and u start er up and everyone turns and looks like wtf?!!! i've taken it to tha dealer several times to get it fixed but they can never duplicate tha same...its so frustrating...and with one car and being a college student I can't just leave my car overnight...ya kno?

jayknight
11-13-2008, 09:40 AM
well mine has tha same annoying ass rattle...its so damn embarrassing especially when u get in a brand new car and u start er up and everyone turns and looks like wtf?!!! i've taken it to tha dealer several times to get it fixed but they can never duplicate tha same...its so frustrating...and with one car and being a college student I can't just leave my car overnight...ya kno?

The dealership should have loaner cars

shogun
11-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Timing Chain Tensioner or Belt Tensioner - Does he have a V6 or I4...V6's have a belt & I4's have a chain. :deal::deal:

GigaS27
11-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Had same issue here and was repaired.

They found it was a lower exhaust pipe. (i believe it had flexible sections to, maybe flex pipe?)

Anyhow, how i was able to duplicate it was keep car in a 1,500 to 2k rpm range and while cutting the car hard to the right, than to the left i slightly gave throttle in those RPM ranges and the noise happened all the time.

Hope this helps.

hwilljr88
11-14-2008, 11:40 AM
The dealership should have loaner cars

Lumberton Honda doesn't...not all dealerships have loaner cars...but i think they fixed it today...sed it was the lower exhaust pipe...so we'll see

GigaS27
11-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Lumberton Honda doesn't...not all dealerships have loaner cars...but i think they fixed it today...sed it was the lower exhaust pipe...so we'll see

ha same issue like i just listed above. Also my dealer does not have loaners but they are pretty good to get it back same day

PINOY.RICHY
11-15-2008, 05:16 AM
FINALLY! its been awhile since i had this issue since between june to present i my car has been in and out of the dealer they almost replaced the whole car lolz 1st they said its the power sterring pump that is making the noise so they replaced that then next visit they said that the intake is making noise they replaced the intake next visit they told me its the VTEC cam shaft or something they kept my car every visit for about a week then last visit they replaced the tensioner, accelerator the whole assebly of the timming chain and it solves all the noise... JUST GOT MY CAR BACK YESTERDAY!

puffball
11-17-2008, 06:21 AM
I brought my car into the dealership today after recording the rattling noise. I tried the wait method that jayknight suggested with no improvement. When I played the recording to the technician, he knew right away what it was. He said I was only the second person to have this problem and it took them forever to diagnose it the first time. I'm not a car/engine guy, so I'll try and repeat what I remember him saying. I'll ask for clarification if everything works after I get my car back tonight.

He said that it happens on 2008 Accord I4 engines. Something to do with the VTEC on start up where it has to lock the timing by using oil pressure. However, because this lock is not properly held up, the oil pressure drops and tries to regain pressure on a cold start. That's why if you turn off you car and start it again right away, there is no noise because oil pressure is retained. After the car has been sitting for a while, the oil pressure drops again and the rattling noise reappears. We opened the hood and he pointed to a small bulge in the VTEC engine chassis on the left hand side and said that that's where the part is that has to be replaced. He said that it is not the timing chain or the tensioner and it would not have caused any damage to the engine.

I'll confirm if this is the problem tonight.

Edaccord08
11-17-2008, 11:03 AM
I brought my car into the dealership today after recording the rattling noise. I tried the wait method that jayknight suggested with no improvement. When I played the recording to the technician, he knew right away what it was. He said I was only the second person to have this problem and it took them forever to diagnose it the first time. I'm not a car/engine guy, so I'll try and repeat what I remember him saying. I'll ask for clarification if everything works after I get my car back tonight.

He said that it happens on 2008 Accord I4 engines. Something to do with the VTEC on start up where it has to lock the timing by using oil pressure. However, because this lock is not properly held up, the oil pressure drops and tries to regain pressure on a cold start. That's why if you turn off you car and start it again right away, there is no noise because oil pressure is retained. After the car has been sitting for a while, the oil pressure drops again and the rattling noise reappears. We opened the hood and he pointed to a small bulge in the VTEC engine chassis on the left hand side and said that that's where the part is that has to be replaced. He said that it is not the timing chain or the tensioner and it would not have caused any damage to the engine.

I'll confirm if this is the problem tonight.

that's interesting, it sounds like he is describing the VTC oil control solenoid value as that does have drain passages.

hispanicboi415
11-17-2008, 02:12 PM
thats interesting to know...maybe i should take mine and explain this to the dealer. but the funny thing is that i took accordlovers advice of holding the key long enough and since have not had any problems at all. could it be that maybe i dont have the same issue? did any of you guys try this method?

puffball
11-17-2008, 05:25 PM
I got my car back, but they didn't have the part in stock, but they have put in an order for a VTC actuator. Will follow up once the part gets replaced.

Fredsvt
11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
I wonder if Honda is buying there cam phasers (vtc sprockets) from the same people that Ford and Nissan have been?

Both of those have that issue, when the car is shut off the oil drains out of the phaser and on startup, the phaser fails to remain locked in place and rattles until oil pressure reaches it. There is supposed to be a mechanical lock to keep it in place when the oil pressure goes away.

Some of the Nissan and Ford cam phasers shear pins inside and rattle horribly when running. The Ford V8s sound like old diesels when they shear the pins in the phaser.

Watch your car carefully for oil leaks if they had the front chain case off when doing this work. Lots and lots of Hondabond is used to seal that cover, no gaskets.

hwilljr88
12-15-2008, 09:43 AM
any more noise puff??

puffball
12-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Sorry, forgot to update everyone. So after the dealership replaced the VTC solenoid (as well as other components relating to other problems - rear door lock solenoid and the audio amplifier), I think my Accord is in full working condition. It has been below 0 deg Celcius for the past month and I have not hear the clicking noise at all in cold start after sitting out overnight.

1stHondasofar..
12-15-2008, 03:16 PM
This noise sounds similar, or looks similar, or reads similar to my issue. When i start my i-4 cold, i notice this clicking or resistance form the steering wheel column. It sounds exactly like something is stoppping and starting over and over for the first few hard turns, then goes away after the car is warmed up. Maybe the vtc solenoid is making the noise for me too, and i Just coincidentally am turning the steering wheel at the same time...??

hwilljr88
01-05-2009, 07:57 AM
so i took my car in 12/30/08 for that rattling issue, I printed out the convo from earlier when pinoy and puff had figured out tha issue. and I still haven't gotten my car back. so now the dealer is battling with corporate bc they don't wanna pay for it under warranty. I am slowly loosing my patience.

hwilljr88
01-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Got my car back...it was tha vtc soleniod

jpc17
02-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Don't want to start another thread so I'll put it in here.

1) Whenever my car starts, it makes this infernal rattling noise that disappears after it warms up a bit which leads me to believe it is the VTC Solenoid.

2) There is also a second rattle that occurs whenever I'm accelerating from a full stop in the low end RPMs. I have no idea what it is since it doesn't happen every single time but quite often, I'd say about 40%-50% of the time which is quite annoying. I have a feeling it might be the engine mounts but not 100% sure since I know nothing about car engines.

If anyone can provide me some information on this, please do so I can go to the dealership prepared. Thanks!

DougNuts
02-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Don't want to start another thread so I'll put it in here.

1) Whenever my car starts, it makes this infernal rattling noise that disappears after it warms up a bit which leads me to believe it is the VTC Solenoid.

2) There is also a second rattle that occurs whenever I'm accelerating from a full stop in the low end RPMs. I have no idea what it is since it doesn't happen every single time but quite often, I'd say about 40%-50% of the time which is quite annoying. I have a feeling it might be the engine mounts but not 100% sure since I know nothing about car engines.

If anyone can provide me some information on this, please do so I can go to the dealership prepared. Thanks!

I just read through this whole thread (have you?) and will attempt to answer your questions based on what I read.

1) Sounds like the VTC.

2) Possibly the exhaust is hitting somewhere?

jpc17
02-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Yep been searching and reading each thread that I could find about rattles. Printed out rear shelf rattle TSB, glove box rattle TSB, printed out this whole convo to bring to the dealership, the first one I'm pretty sure is the VTC solenoid, but the second is the one that really confuses me, the sound vibrates throughout the whole car but I'm 80% sure it's coming from the front which leads me to believe it's not the exhaust. I was hoping others who have more experience with these issues or know more about engines would be able to help me with a few suggestions or confirm things =( I'll try again to check if maybe it is the exhaust though just incase =)

jpc17
02-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Just got back from the dealership, unfortunately the American TSBs do not apply here in Canada but they still did some work on it and did their best to fix the issues all under warranty.

For issue 1, we could not replicate it so I'm setting up a time next week where I can leave it over night so they can hear it for themselves.

For issue 2, they said something is wrong with near the headers (exhaust gasket I think he said) that didn't come properly from factory so they're ordering the part and will be arriving soon.

Will update more regarding the engine noises next week when I have the part replaced and let them keep the car overnight to hopefully replicate the cold start up noise.

cingularpat
09-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but a co-worker of mine is having a similar issue. 2008 EX-L I4 5-speed. Puffball, do you still have the recording of yours? Any way you can send it to me or post it on here so I can compare?

The best way I can describe his noise is this. On a cold start, immediately following cranking a very loud rattling or tapping is heard. It sounds like metal hitting plastic, not like a heat shield rattle or anything like that. It only lasts for 2 seconds or so, but it sounds really awful. I can try to get a recording if no one else has theirs.

Granted he drives his car hard as hell, so that could have something to do with his problem! lol

puffball
09-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Sorry, just deleted the recording a couple of weeks ago. I've noticed that this noise also happens if the engine oil level is too low, so double check that first.

Puff

IH8SPM
12-05-2009, 12:17 PM
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1675a0/921

Its been documented and is covered under warranty

Takumi
12-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Anyone still have the sound so that I can confirm my car is having the same problem?

adrammelech
03-22-2010, 01:06 PM
hey did u find whats wrong with the rattle cause today i got this rattle sound and it kills me
the rattle sounds come only around 2000 rpm any cure for this issue

jrath1
05-07-2010, 06:02 AM
My car is in the shop for the cold start rattle. The dealership is replacing the VTC solenoid. They said this is an all day job as they have to pull apart half the engine.

Is this true? Or a load of bs, as they are backed up and haven't returned my car in a day and a half.

adrammelech
05-07-2010, 06:10 AM
i had that and i got it checked
it just the cover underneath the engine it need to be held right

Edaccord08
05-07-2010, 07:28 AM
hey did u find whats wrong with the rattle cause today i got this rattle sound and it kills me
the rattle sounds come only around 2000 rpm any cure for this issue

Could be flex joint in down pipe if happens all the time (not just after first started ) .

Edaccord08
05-07-2010, 07:34 AM
My car is in the shop for the cold start rattle. The dealership is replacing the VTC solenoid. They said this is an all day job as they have to pull apart half the engine.

Is this true? Or a load of bs, as they are backed up and haven't returned my car in a day and a half.

Not sure if there is a mix up with VTC parts.
The VTC solenoid is easy access at front of motor, 1 bolt and wire plug holds it in the front cover (you can see it easy yourself). This controls the oil pressure that goes to the VTC actuator sprocket that varies intake cam timing .
The VTC actuator , which is the intake cam sprocket gear that adjusts the actual timing is the bigger job (this is also the part that has locking pin that "should" be in lock position when cold).
This is the part that can go bad, pin not locking properly and making noise .

jrath1
05-07-2010, 08:17 AM
The VTC solenoid is easy access at front of motor, 1 bolt and wire plug holds it in the front cover (you can see it easy yourself). This controls the oil pressure that goes to the VTC actuator sprocket that varies intake cam timing .
The VTC actuator , which is the intake cam sprocket gear that adjusts the actual timing is the bigger job (this is also the part that has locking pin that "should" be in lock position when cold).

Thanks for the update, it was indeed the VTC actuator. The reason my car took so long is they were waiting for their A tech to work on it.

thermodynamics
10-22-2010, 07:36 PM
I have 2010 LX-P with March 2010 mfg date. Do i need to check with the dealer about this problem. I can hear extra noise from car during cold start. When i try to move the steering, buzz goes up further and feel some vibrations. My glove box is not aligned. I have small rattles from the plastics around transmission.

avs
11-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I have 2010 LX-P with March 2010 mfg date. Do i need to check with the dealer about this problem. I can hear extra noise from car during cold start. When i try to move the steering, buzz goes up further and feel some vibrations. My glove box is not aligned. I have small rattles from the plastics around transmission.
When you try to move the steering wheel when the car is not moving the buzz noise and vibration is normal. The power steering pump is driven by the engine. When you move the steering wheel left and right you're putting pressure on the steering wheel pump. The loud rattle noise the OP is referring to is for TSB #09-010.

BluePearl
11-05-2010, 08:25 PM
As far as I know, the 8th generation Honda Accords do not have timing chains. They still have the timing belt and although it is possible for the timing belt to loose its tension, it is very unlikely. I would sure like to know what is really causing this noise.

sick08
11-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Me to when u take off slow it soundes like a small supercharged lol

avs
11-06-2010, 05:14 AM
As far as I know, the 8th generation Honda Accords do not have timing chains. They still have the timing belt and although it is possible for the timing belt to loose its tension, it is very unlikely. I would sure like to know what is really causing this noise.

FYI: All the i4 uses timing chain and V6 uses timing belt.

AccordKasem04
11-06-2010, 06:59 AM
I have the same noise! when engine is cold it sounds like a chain pulling thru a pipe. But even after engine is hot I have a grinding sounding noise as I accelerate past 2000 rpms. I took it to the dealer and they assured me it was the tensioner. I spent $300 to replace the tensioner and of course the noise was still there. Sounds like a big high speed fan as I accelerate. Im stooped.

Edaccord08
11-06-2010, 08:02 AM
I have the same noise! when engine is cold it sounds like a chain pulling thru a pipe. But even after engine is hot I have a grinding sounding noise as I accelerate past 2000 rpms. I took it to the dealer and they assured me it was the tensioner. I spent $300 to replace the tensioner and of course the noise was still there. Sounds like a big high speed fan as I accelerate. Im stooped.

you had to pay out of pocket , I would think its covered under powertrain warranty .

avs
11-06-2010, 09:27 AM

Edaccord08 do you happen have a picture of the locking pin you're referring to?

thermodynamics
11-06-2010, 10:03 AM
When you try to move the steering wheel when the car is not moving the buzz noise and vibration is normal. The power steering pump is driven by the engine. When you move the steering wheel left and right you're putting pressure on the steering wheel pump. The loud rattle noise the OP is referring to is for TSB #09-010.
Thanks for the update. I took the vehicle to Honda service station where i purchased vehicle. They declared that all the noise / vibrations coming from Engine, Steering and compressor are normal. They did fix the glove box alignment and did the car wash.
They need vehicle overnight to fix the rattles. I am planning to take it to near by Honda service station during the week. Fixing rattles seems to be lower priority for Honda.

JMoneyLX-S
11-25-2011, 12:14 PM
How much was this to fix? I have a 2008 I4 and I too am getting that noise.

It is similar to the sound your car makes when you try to start it when it is already running. And I'm pretty sure it only occurs during cold starts.

Edaccord08
11-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Edaccord08 do you happen have a picture of the locking pin you're referring to?

no, I don't but if I come across some I will link here .

Edit: best I could find

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f93/k20a-vtec-breakdown-124797/

http://asia.vtec.net/article/k20a/

between the two you should get good idea of its workings .

benjerman112
11-25-2011, 04:03 PM
How much was this to fix? I have a 2008 I4 and I too am getting that noise.

It is similar to the sound your car makes when you try to start it when it is already running. And I'm pretty sure it only occurs during cold starts.

Should be free it was a recall.

Edaccord08
11-25-2011, 04:30 PM
There is only a TSB on the VTC , there is a firmware update for VTC and injector timing but that is software .

The amount of people and short time this VTC last it should be recall but my guess is until they get fix that lasts there won't be one unless mandated (safety issue) .

JMoneyLX-S
11-25-2011, 05:51 PM
There is only a TSB on the VTC , there is a firmware update for VTC and injector timing but that is software .

The amount of people and short time this VTC last it should be recall but my guess is until they get fix that lasts there won't be one unless mandated (safety issue) .

I didn't get any recall for it yet? Does this mean there just aren't enough people complaining about it yet?

Edaccord08
11-25-2011, 06:36 PM
I didn't get any recall for it yet? Does this mean there just aren't enough people complaining about it yet?

there is no recall on this , only safety recall was the AT one , 11-050 but they also updated 11-049 when I brought mine in .

cypress257
11-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Hey all, I've had this problem on cold starts since I got my car. But since I am the second owner and the car isn't under warranty, is there any way of the dealership covering this? The noise really doesn't kill me so is it okay if I just leave it alone?