Automatic Transmission - Parking [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Automatic Transmission - Parking

_karu_
05-24-2009, 06:54 AM
Hi guys,

I am wondering about other members' opinion on this parking tip for automatic transmission vehicles by Honda Owner's manual:

If your car has an automatic transmission, set the parking brake before you put the transmission in Park. This keeps the car from moving and putting pressure on the parking mechanism in the transmission - making it easier to move the shift lever out of Park when you want to drive away.

Do you guys apply the parking brake BEFORE you put the tranmission in Park (P)?

Doing so should be technically "healthy" for the rear brakes, right? Except perhaps when you park the vehicle for a longer period of time.

Discuss. :)

Succinct
05-24-2009, 07:22 AM
I always do it that way - I never shift into "P" unless my foot is on the brake or the handbrake is set. If it's my foot on the brake, then I don't remove it until I set the emergency brake.

One exception: when I park overnight inside my garage, I know the surface is level and so wil not load up the pawl on the transmission.

This is so simple and easy to do, yet I am amazed how many people disregard this and use the transmission pawl to hold their car parked.

_karu_
05-24-2009, 07:48 AM
^Thanks!

Yup, that's what I am doing as well. I put my foot on the brake, shift to "P" and then set the emergency brake before lifting my foot off the brake.

I've been driving manual car in the past 5 years, I forgot about it. Actually, I never realized it until I read the owner's manual. lol.

daflipside
05-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Hi guys,

I am wondering about other members' opinion on this parking tip for automatic transmission vehicles by Honda Owner's manual:

Do you guys apply the parking brake BEFORE you put the tranmission in Park (P)?

Doing so should be technically "healthy" for the rear brakes, right? Except perhaps when you park the vehicle for a longer period of time.

Discuss. :)

I have to admit that I am guilty of doing the total opposite of what is recommended. I shall from now on engage my parking brakes before shifting to park! :yes:

Thanks for the friendly tip/reminder karu! :banana:

rszappa1
05-24-2009, 08:41 AM
I will always set the parking brake before I put it into park...and if I am on a hill when it is time to leave I will press the brake pedal down and hold it and then release the parking brake then start the car and put it into drive and then take my foot off the brake pedal and drive away.....

reaquino
05-24-2009, 09:55 AM
This is my approach:

(1) While stopped with foot on brake, move gear from D(or R) into N
(2) Set parking brake.
(3) If in hilly area, turn tires in required direction.
(4) Release brake to let car rest of parking brake.
(5) Put in park.
(6) Turn off car.

Accordlover
05-24-2009, 10:04 AM
I keep my foot on the brake, put it in park then pull up the e-brake.

My dad failed to utilize his ebrake in his TL and it caused all the motor mounts to fail before 70k miles since he is constantly putting stress on them with hills and what not. Until they were replaced the car would always slam into reverse or drive.

BLCKFLSH
05-24-2009, 02:52 PM
If I can put the car in neutral, and it doesn't roll, I don't use the parking brake. Not necessary, IMO. Sure, if I park on an incline, I will set the parking brake, while in neutral, then put the tranny in Park. In my truck, which is a manual, I will either put the tranny in 1st, or reverse (depends which direction I will be moving when leaving), no need for the parking brake here either. I use the parking brake mostly when jacking the car up for service.

1accord
05-24-2009, 05:50 PM
In order do you do it when you are going/putting it back in drive?

hillstones
05-24-2009, 06:24 PM
With foot on the brake when stopped, I set the E-Brake, put the trans in Park, release my foot from the brake, then shut off the engine. That ensures that the vehicle will not move when I am putting the trans in Park.

hillstones
05-24-2009, 06:26 PM
If I can put the car in neutral, and it doesn't roll, I don't use the parking brake. Not necessary, IMO. Sure, if I park on an incline, I will set the parking brake, while in neutral, then put the tranny in Park. In my truck, which is a manual, I will either put the tranny in 1st, or reverse (depends which direction I will be moving when leaving), no need for the parking brake here either. I use the parking brake mostly when jacking the car up for service.

You would never do that in California. You never know when there will be an Earthquake and the last thing you want is your vehicle rocking back and forth against the transmission, even with a manual transmission, if left in gear.

daflipside
05-24-2009, 06:41 PM
You would never do that in California. You never know when there will be an Earthquake and the last thing you want is your vehicle rocking back and forth against the transmission, even with a manual transmission, if left in gear.

Yup, Indeed! 1994 Northridge, CA earthquake victim here... :bawling:

BLCKFLSH
05-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Well, in Louisiana we have NO chance of earthquakes. I have never used the emergency brake, unless it is necessary, and never had a problem. There is only one parking lot where I go once or twice a week, that's on an incline. I use it there every time. The emergency brake is also very useful, when pulling a boat out from a steep launch.

AccordEXxx
05-24-2009, 09:40 PM
in a auto...

Put into park and turn the car off.
If i do use the ebrake... I would stop. With the car still in gear , pull the ebrake then park...

manual...
Leave in gear with foot on clutch, pull e brake, turn off car, let foot off clutch.

berg
05-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Berg's method
1. drive up to space and stop
2.shift to park foot still on brake.
3.with foot still on brake i then pull e brake
4.after e brake is pulled then i let foot off brake.
5.turn car off

SkylessKnight
05-25-2009, 02:10 AM
I always do it that way - I never shift into "P" unless my foot is on the brake or the handbrake is set. If it's my foot on the brake, then I don't remove it until I set the emergency brake.

Me too. Always. Usually two or three notches on the E brake... not too much..

tmundal
05-26-2009, 10:16 AM
My driveway is pretty steep. Pull up, pull ebrake, release brake, put in park.

bok269
05-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I usually don't pull the brake unless I'm on a noticeable incline (although I always leave my foot on the brake until it's in P and the engine's off). Am I damaging my transmission this way?

BLCKFLSH
05-26-2009, 04:20 PM
I usually don't pull the brake unless I'm on a noticeable incline (although I always leave my foot on the brake until it's in P and the engine's off). Am I damaging my transmission this way?

If the car doesn't roll, in neutral, it will not hurt anything. If the car rolls when you put it in Park, and bounces off the parking prawl, you should have applied the e-brake. If there is enough of the car's weight resting on the transmission, it could be difficult to get the shifter out of Park.
When you are about to park, put the tranny in neutral and let off the brake pedal, if the car does not roll, you don't need the e-brake, IMO.

ShadowAccord
05-26-2009, 07:30 PM
ya i just do my parallel parking and keep my foot on the brake when done then shift it into park......I guess I fail when it comes to what the manual says but hey I dont have one so how would i know lol

_karu_
05-26-2009, 08:19 PM
For me:

On incline:
1. Stop the car
2. Hold brake pedal
3. Shift to "N" Neutral
4. Engage parking (hand) brake
5. Lift up brake pedal to transfer car's weight to rear brake
6. Shift to "P" Park
7. Shut off car

Flat surface:
1. Stop the car
2. Shift to "P" Park
3. Engage parking (hand brake)
4. Shut off car

bok269
05-27-2009, 06:00 PM
If the car doesn't roll, in neutral, it will not hurt anything. If the car rolls when you put it in Park, and bounces off the parking prawl, you should have applied the e-brake. If there is enough of the car's weight resting on the transmission, it could be difficult to get the shifter out of Park.
When you are about to park, put the tranny in neutral and let off the brake pedal, if the car does not roll, you don't need the e-brake, IMO.

Makes sense-I never have an issue pulling out of Park but I'll definitely pull the brake more often-thanks. :thmsup:

Cordi2005
05-27-2009, 07:10 PM
KARU...check your messages...I sent you a PM...thanks.

_karu_
05-28-2009, 06:15 PM
^Thanks! Replied! :)