Parking Brake adjustment (AKA: E-Brake)... [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Parking Brake adjustment (AKA: E-Brake)...

Bruce Hawkins
07-20-2009, 09:07 PM
The Parking Brake (PB) adjustment (AKA: E-Brake) info...

Hi all...

My PB had little braking effect, not in till the very last, two or three clicks. I could easy pull the PB, with very little effort, till it bottomed out (was all the way up). I could pull the PB two or three clicks, it felt like there was no cable connected, at all. This was way too loose...

Per the factory service manual, it implies that you have to remove the entire center console. You, do not.
First read the factory service manual, then if you chose, consider my approach to the procedure...
What the service manual failed to state clearly:
1) Just open the (center console) lower storage box. At the bottom is a access panel. Pry the front up first, and then forward.
2) Below is a, 12mm nut, that needs to be tightened (it in the center of a bracket, that connects the left and right parking brake cables). I found that I had to use a deep set socket (removing the cup holder allowed me to hold the PB bracket, giving me more control wile tightening the nut).
3) Careful not to over tighten the PB, as it can cause the rear brakes to drag. You should be able to, easy pull the PB up, two or tree clicks.

My tests (to make sure it not, too tight (dragging the brakes):
On my car, pulling the parking brake dose not make the rear brakes lockup (skid), although it could - Use caution!!!
Drive somewhere no one is around. Drive up to 25 MPH. Put the car in Neutral, don't push in button on the side of the gear selector, because you could go into Reverse (boom, no more trany).
Pull up on the PB, one click. You should feel no drag, at least for the first, one or two clicks. It should have an effect, on the, third, forth, or fifth, clicks (sixth is OK to).
Long after any testing of the PB. Drive around, once you arrive to where your going, touch the rear rims, they should not be hot, or at least not hotter than the front rims.
If too much drag is felt, or rims are hot, loosen PB nut one turn), retest...

I can't easy pull the PB till it bottoms out (all the way up), any more.
Unfortunately, Still no e-brake u-turns are possible (I did not test this, just the parking brake, did not feel THAT strong)...