When Car is Turned off Radiator Fan Stays ON!! [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: When Car is Turned off Radiator Fan Stays ON!!

darula8
09-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Recently I was getting codes p0141 and p2254 which were related to my o2 sensor needing to be changed. I changed it this past week then noticed that when my car is turned off the radiator fan on the drivers side stays on for awhile. I even tried turning the car on and off again but the fan stays on. When I went to get the codes checked it shows p2631 now. Even if I erase the code or unplug battery for 15 min the code immediately in 3 seconds comes back up. Code is for the oxygen sensor saying current trim circuit high. Anybody encounter this problem or know what to do?

hillstones
09-07-2009, 04:30 PM
No experience with that one. By the way, did the US Post Office ever find the lost mail containing your DVD-ROM drive? Did you ever get the Navigation System working properly?

jli18
09-07-2009, 06:56 PM
i have a 2007 and sometimes i experienced similiar problems. I was told that it helps cooling down the engine faster(if the engine is hotter than normal). I dont know I could be wrong.

darula8
09-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Well the thing is even if the car is only turned on for 2 min it does that. Plus the heat wave is over so I dont know why it does it.

BLCKFLSH
09-07-2009, 07:56 PM
My 92 Accord did that all the time (fan would run after the engine was shut off). My 03 Accord has never done it. When the fans on the 92 Accords would keep running (never stop) the fan timer was the usual suspect. I don't know if these new Accords work the same way though. My guess would be either a timer, or coolant temperature sensor is causing it.

03LXV6
09-09-2009, 06:14 AM
I used to see that happen on older Hondas. I thought it was normal back then. I was driving my Mom's 97 this past weekend and it happened.

Hondaboy9602
09-09-2009, 06:20 AM
The 96 Accord we used to have did that. I didn't think newer Hondas still did that.

accordn17
09-09-2009, 07:11 AM
my 91 accord did that all the time..lol

darula8
09-09-2009, 10:45 AM
well big thing is fan stays on HIGH round the radiator. Also it stays on for while now and I think my battery is gonna die soon.

CarlR33
09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Recently I was getting codes p0141 and p2254 which were related to my o2 sensor needing to be changed. I changed it this past week then noticed that when my car is turned off the radiator fan on the drivers side stays on for awhile. I even tried turning the car on and off again but the fan stays on. When I went to get the codes checked it shows p2631 now. Even if I erase the code or unplug battery for 15 min the code immediately in 3 seconds comes back up. Code is for the oxygen sensor saying current trim circuit high. Anybody encounter this problem or know what to do?

Maybe Mr. obvious here but if you have the a/c button on and turn the key all the way on without the motor running the fans on mine continue to run until I push the a/c off.

Are you saying that with the key in your hand (key not in the ignition) that it still runs?

darula8
09-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Key is in my hand and I fully lock my car and leave i and it remains loud. It is not hot so I have not even been using ac or fan. Also I believe for the 2631 code I need to place a fuse in the connecting hub for the O2 sensor to eliminate that code. I dont think itll solve the fan problem but ill try. Fan Problem gotta figure it out asap b4 battery dies.

CarlR33
09-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Key is in my hand and I fully lock my car and leave i and it remains loud. It is not hot so I have not even been using ac or fan. Also I believe for the 2631 code I need to place a fuse in the connecting hub for the O2 sensor to eliminate that code. I dont think itll solve the fan problem but ill try. Fan Problem gotta figure it out asap b4 battery dies.

Most likely an electrical problem then related to the O2 sensor (maybe even a bad new one?). If you just unplugged and plugged the new one in I cannot imagine what happened. Did you disconnect the battery before changing it out? If you cannot find anything on a search here then it is probably not a common issue. It would probably be worth a trip to the dealer or local shop. I would think about any shop could diagnose it.

How about some info on your car on your sig?

darula8
09-11-2009, 07:11 PM
fixed o2 sensor issue but still havin fan problem. Now both fans stay on and they dont turn off period. I disconnected my battery for an hour and whhen I plugged it back on both fans started up immediately. I disconnected the sensor to the left(if your looking at the front of the car) of the radiator and they stayed on. Only thing I do now is disconnect wire on the left fan to turn em off.

RICANRAY
09-11-2009, 07:27 PM
doesn't it have a sensor??? maybe the sensor is acting up

darula8
09-12-2009, 06:02 PM
ok I changed relays in the fusebox under the hood and changed temp sensor switch on the engine block that controls the fan and still have a problem. I do not know what the hell to do now guys.

hillstones
09-13-2009, 08:27 AM
Trip to the dealer would be next and tell them what you have replaced for troubleshooting, and they still stay on.

darula8
09-13-2009, 10:14 AM
I am thinking I need to replace ALL 3 relays. Ima try that next

RICANRAY
09-13-2009, 02:18 PM
u sure ur head gasket aight going....i had a weird issue like that with my old acura legend turned out it was the headgasket ...the headgasket went in a way that it blew air bubbles into my resevoir, the fan would stay on forever.... their can also be an air pocket in the system, an air pocket can confuse the temp sensor too make the fan stay on.....have u notice if the temperature gauge is reading correct??

darula8
09-13-2009, 02:19 PM
temp always good on the guage. I think it may just be that I have to replace all fan relays

ChristineInFL
09-13-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm new here but thought I'd share my experience. My 04 EX V6 Sedan 's fan did the same thing this summer and when my stereo backlight went out(this was a service bulletin) I took the car to my Honda dealer and asked the tech to run a diagnostic check regarding the fan problem. It turned out to be the pcm and luckily this part is under warranty 8yr/80,000miles. If the pcm isn't the problem you're only out the cost of the diagnostic check.

darula8
09-13-2009, 08:15 PM
whats a pcm?

ChristineInFL
09-13-2009, 08:26 PM
It's the powertrain control module.

darula8
09-13-2009, 08:29 PM
so ur fan would be on high when u start ur car and stay on when uu turn it off?

ChristineInFL
09-13-2009, 08:42 PM
My fan would stay on while I drove the car and would stay on after I turned it off. I think the fan would run approx 15-25min. after I turned off car. Interestingly my a/c was screwed up at the same time, my compressor clutch wouldn't engage and and nothing was wrong w/ relays & fuses. Not only was my a/c clutch not working, the compressor was bad. I did buy a used working compressor off Ebay hoping that would totally fix a/c & fan issue but it all had to do with the pcm.

darula8
09-13-2009, 08:44 PM
ya my ac works fine and radio light is ok

ChristineInFL
09-13-2009, 08:53 PM
As much as it pained me to take car to dealer to find out what was wrong, it was worth the $70 diagnostic check. I ended up not paying for it since problem was under warranty. If problem wasn't under warranty I would say thanks for the diag. check then go home and fix it. Now that my car is performing like an Accord should, I am now dealing with my other ride, a 2000 F250 diesel, which thinks its ok to shut off while cruising down the highway, and won't crank back up until 2hrs later:(

darula8
09-19-2009, 10:12 PM
changed fan relay, fan switch, changing thermostat tomorrow. If it doesnt fix the problem I do not know what will. I am beginning to finally hate Honda!!!

ChristineInFL
09-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Replacing each suspect part can get costly-if you never locate the problem. At least you're starting with the more affordable stuff. You decided against taking it in to dealer for the diagnostic check?

darula8
09-20-2009, 04:42 PM
well my friend has a shop so I am able to trial and error there 1st. Plus I know some people that work at the dealer and the parts I have been goin after is what they go after 1st. If we still cant get problem fixed ima let Honda see the car cuz I believe itll proly b a electrical problem.

darula8
09-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Turns out my ebay fogs caused my fuse box to malfunction so had to replace it. Went to a junkyard to get it and now everything works again. Freakin e*** fogs. Now gotta find out how to wire up my fogs without touching my fusebox

hillstones
09-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Turns out my ebay fogs caused my fuse box to malfunction so had to replace it. Went to a junkyard to get it and now everything works again. Freakin e*** fogs. Now gotta find out how to wire up my fogs without touching my fusebox

A good example proving that OEM fog lights are worth the money. Glad you got your fan issue resolved. Had nothing to do with eBay, they were just aftermarket.

hebrew_hammer
09-25-2009, 08:36 AM
So your problem is solved now? Fogs causing your problems although unlikely could very well have if hooked up to the fuse box wrong. Just get an oem wiring harness, you can keep the housings.

darula8
09-25-2009, 08:38 AM
connector overheated. Melted the plastic covering the wire and burnt my fuse box.

CarlR33
09-25-2009, 06:27 PM

Sometimes it is best to cut your losses and take it to the dealer. The money and time you spent on the do it youself stuff you could have given to the dealer and been done several posts ago.

darula8
09-25-2009, 07:26 PM
actually still cheaper than dealer since they got diagnoses and full price to repair a fuse box. I just paid 20 on a thermostat, 13 on relays, and 110 on a fuse box which still beats the diagnoses fee my dealer charges.

hillstones
09-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Sometimes it is best to cut your losses and take it to the dealer. The money and time you spent on the do it youself stuff you could have given to the dealer and been done several posts ago.

And what do you think the dealer would have done about the non-OEM fog lights causing the problem? He saved more money diagnosing and fixing the problem himself.