cheapest safe way to get under car *n00b inside* [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: cheapest safe way to get under car *n00b inside*

GeneValgene
09-27-2005, 05:39 AM
i am wanting to get started in doing some of the minor maintenance myself (e.g. oil changes, ATF changes), but i have a few questions...bear in mind i am a total n00b

1) is it possible to get under my car without raising the vehicle at all, with enough clearance to drain the fluids?

2) if not, what is the cheapest, and safe, way to raise my vehicle?

thanks!!

Inspector1
09-27-2005, 05:48 AM
1. Depends on your size and comfort level of doing on the ground.
You will need a drain pan that is low profile to fit also.

2. On stands and jacks check out my post in this thread (http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3506)

I1 :)

GeneValgene
09-27-2005, 06:30 AM
1. Depends on your size and comfort level of doing on the ground.
You will need a drain pan that is low profile to fit also.

2. On stands and jacks check out my post in this thread (http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3506)

sweet...thanks a bunch!

on average, how long do you think it woudl take the average user to lift the car using the floor jack at each corner, and placing the jack stands into place?

OwAce
09-27-2005, 07:34 AM
just take car to the dealer. oil change should cost you 17 bucks provide your own oil..

:dunno: why ppl do it themeselves..

SSMV6
09-27-2005, 07:53 AM
just take car to the dealer. oil change should cost you 17 bucks provide your own oil..

:dunno: why ppl do it themeselves..
No appointment necessary.
You know it's done with the oil and filter you have.
You're not paying someone else to unscrew three things (oil drain plug, filter, oil cap) and fill the crankcase with oil.
It only gets easier the more you do it.
You get the satisfaction of taking a wrench to you car and having your car come out in one piece. :D
You could let the oil drain longer than 10 minutes.
Your driveway is always open. :D
etc, etc....

As an alternative to jacking up the car, you can get rhino ramps and drive up the ramps to work on the car, drive up two thick boards (one on each side), or if you have a hilly driveway, drive the car to the crest of the driveway to get the extra room to work under the car. Accords have about 6" of room under the car to work with, but the drain plugs are pretty far back. Most of the time you're going to need to raise the car before your arms could reach and get enough leverage to loosen the bolts.

Whatever you do, just remember that the safest way is always going to be jacking up the car on a level surface and putting it on jackstands. It should take no more than 5-10 minutes to raise one side (front or back).

OwAce
09-27-2005, 09:02 AM
well yeah, but this is is me with an oil change.

i have to spend 20 dollars on ramps, that my car cannot get up on. so that means i have to jack it up and put it on jackstands. 20 mins at least.

then i have to get under the car, and use the oil wrench filter. that is 10 bucks at least.

then i have to get the oil filter off and try to get out of the way of the oil falling on me. then i have to make sure the oil is going into the pan etc etc and no where else.

then i have to replace the filter get dirty.

then i refill with oil, and then i take car down..

whole process takes about an hour..

now with me and curry, i walk in, tell them i need an oil change, enrique or omar, will be like sure thing. they getinto my car drive it around the lot, make sure the only bay i can get into is kept for me. pull in lift car, take out oil filter, take out oil.

in meantime rotate tires, inspect brakes, and suspension components, 10 mins later new filter in, car goes down, oil goes in, and i drive away a happy guy after ive talked to them about random stuff i want to get done to my car.

and i only pay em 17.

mebbe it just the service ppl at curry who awesome like that. :)

04blkpearlcoupe
09-27-2005, 09:24 AM
i am wanting to get started in doing some of the minor maintenance myself (e.g. oil changes, ATF changes), but i have a few questions...bear in mind i am a total n00b

1) is it possible to get under my car without raising the vehicle at all, with enough clearance to drain the fluids?

2) if not, what is the cheapest, and safe, way to raise my vehicle?

thanks!!

I've seen these on sale at Pep Boys:
Rhino Ramps (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002YTN4I/104-6525560-9745545?v=glance)
ramps in use (http://store1.yimg.com/I/rodi_1862_39344086)

BenjiBoy650
09-27-2005, 02:39 PM
I don't pay the knuckleheads at the dealer to screw up my car. They get it dirty, scratch the rocker panels, overtighten the drain plug, forget to change the crush washer, spill oil on the block and don't clean it up, etc.

I had to buy a jack and jackstands, I don't consider that a huge investment. I figure if I can use them to change my oil, rotate my tires, etc, it's a good deal. I don't use an oil filter wrench. The directions say make contact then turn an extra 3/4 of a turn. I can do that with my hand. While I'm at it, I check the tranny fluid (MT's don't have a dipstick), check the boots, check the suspension, check the inside of the tire for bubbling, clean up the underside, check all the connections and lines that I can't see from the top of the engine, and then I'm done. Your dealer won't do this for you, I promise.

It takes an hour as noted, and I get dirty. Hell, it's just dirt...it'd come off (eventually). If I went to the dealer I'd wait just as long.

SSMV6
09-27-2005, 02:44 PM
I don't pay the knuckleheads at the dealer to screw up my car. They get it dirty, scratch the rocker panels, overtighten the drain plug, forget to change the crush washer, spill oil on the block and don't clean it up, etc.

I had to buy a jack and jackstands, I don't consider that a huge investment. I figure if I can use them to change my oil, rotate my tires, etc, it's a good deal. I don't use an oil filter wrench. The directions say make contact then turn an extra 3/4 of a turn. I can do that with my hand. While I'm at it, I check the tranny fluid (MT's don't have a dipstick), check the boots, check the suspension, check the inside of the tire for bubbling, clean up the underside, check all the connections and lines that I can't see from the top of the engine, and then I'm done. Your dealer won't do this for you, I promise.

It takes an hour as noted, and I get dirty. Hell, it's just dirt...it'd come off (eventually). If I went to the dealer I'd wait just as long.
Thanks, Ben. I forgot to note that I started to do my own maintenance ever since I got my own set of jackstands and a good jack. Who knows how much money I've saved in labor and parts over these past couple of years.... I only save the items that I can't do myself for the dealers such as wheel bearings, tire changes, and alignments, etc..

OwAce, too bad Curry Honda is 50 minutes away for me or I'd give them a try. They sound like an awesome dealership!

BenjiBoy650
09-27-2005, 02:52 PM
I can do my own tire changes but Costco gives me a good deal so I let em. I watch them do it though :paranoid: Then afterwards I do my own balancing, and I found them knuckleheads didn't balance it correctly either because it was off by about .5-1.25 on about 6 or 7 sides (2 sides per tire...) :headbash:

OwAce
09-27-2005, 03:29 PM
^^^ how do you do your own balancing?\

BenjiBoy650
09-27-2005, 03:31 PM
I have access to the proper equipment :yes: After I changed the tires I double checked the balancing myself, and did it again last May or so.

RTexasF
09-27-2005, 04:19 PM
I had an old set of ramps that I've used for many moons kemosabe.

Unfortunately the front lower lip of the Accord would scrape like mad on the ramps. I solved it by buying an 8' 2X10 and cutting it in half, one to extend each side of the ramps.

Works like a charm for oil changes, etc. They came in real handy (minus the 2X10's) for changing out the rear anti-sway bar.

I also have jackstands and wheelstops for other duties.
If only the tire rotation was front to back, not crossing over the rears to the front, I could do it at home.

SSMV6
09-28-2005, 06:55 AM
If only I got access to tire mounting/ balancing equipment... I wouldn't be paying to get tires changed out either! :D Each time I change tires, I got to keep an eye on the monkeys in a suit... There was this one time I was at the NTB in Allston, MA, I saw a nice BMW 5 series getting new shoes. Anyways, the wheels were kinda stuck to the hub and I saw the monkey use a giant 3.5' mallet to hammer the wheels loose! :eek: :eek: Needless to say, I never brought my car back there ever. I'm not saying all NTB's are bad.. just the one in Allston. The one in Needham, MA is much better.

Inspector1
09-28-2005, 11:58 AM
If only I got access to tire mounting/ balancing equipment... I wouldn't be paying to get tires changed out either! :D Each time I change tires, I got to keep an eye on the monkeys in a suit... There was this one time I was at the NTB in Allston, MA, I saw a nice BMW 5 series getting new shoes. Anyways, the wheels were kinda stuck to the hub and I saw the monkey use a giant 3.5' mallet to hammer the wheels loose! :eek: :eek: Needless to say, I never brought my car back there ever. I'm not saying all NTB's are bad.. just the one in Allston. The one in Needham, MA is much better.

You would die if you saw me take my 5lb deadblow to my van every time I go to pull my rears. Some vehicles have a very tight bore tolerance on the wheel and they require some brute strength to remove.
Just be careful and don't hit the alloy.
I would be more worried when they lay wheels face down on concrete and the grit mars the face of the wheel :yes:

SSMV6
09-28-2005, 12:04 PM
I1, did you try putting some anti-seize on the hub after you removed the wheels? I did that on my sister's Corolla and it works wonders the next time I need to remove the wheels. After that, I started to do it to all the cars I work on. You remove the lugs and the wheel just falls off. No prying or banging required. :yes:

I hate it when they let the wheel drop even when they lay it down on its back! :paranoid: Also, when the guy at NTB finally knocks the wheel off the hub, guess which direction the wheel is going to face when it finally hits the floor?! :eek:

Inspector1
09-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Yep antiseized and sanded rust off hub but it still likes to stick.

The center caps on the wheel are very tight and trap moisture........then rust :yes:

Mazda issue that all PV owners seem to share :thumbsdow

RTexasF
09-28-2005, 05:56 PM
You would die if you saw me take my 5lb deadblow to my van every time I go to pull my rears. Some vehicles have a very tight bore tolerance on the wheel and they require some brute strength to remove.
Just be careful and don't hit the alloy.
I would be more worried when they lay wheels face down on concrete and the grit mars the face of the wheel :yes:

That's why God make WHACKHAMMERS. Sometimes it's the only way!

BenjiBoy650
09-28-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm too cheap to buy a friggin hammer to get the wheel off. I use my size 14 New Balances :yes:...my Nike flipflops work too :)

SWATaccord
09-30-2005, 12:45 AM
you can drive onto the sidewalk so that 1 whole side of the car is lifted and the other isnt .....i did this a couple times before my car was lowered its safer then jack stands haha

Rather Ride
10-07-2005, 06:34 PM
I bought Rhino ramps about 10 years ago and have used the same set ever since. They even hold my F-350 Diesel up, even though I can change that things oil with no ramps a a 5 gallon bucket (15 qts of oil).

Some of you people are really lazy.

BenjiBoy650
10-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Some of you people are really lazy.

Quite a statement for someone who uses ramps instead of proper jack and jackstands.

psyshack
10-07-2005, 07:01 PM
My driveway goes down hill. I have what looks like a speed bump on my driveway to block water from running in my garadge. I park the front wheels on the speed bump with parking brake yanked hard. Stick my floor jack on the front cross member and jack it up. I the car falls the hieght of the speed bump will keep me from being crushed. Drain the oil, change the filter. Yada yada... Refill lower and go. 15 mins max.

jermy4
10-07-2005, 07:31 PM
I bought Rhino ramps about 10 years ago and have used the same set ever since. They even hold my F-350 Diesel up, even though I can change that things oil with no ramps a a 5 gallon bucket (15 qts of oil).

Some of you people are really lazy. I would like to see you crawl under some of these accords without getting the car off the ground with ramps or jacks. :rolleyes:

according2me
10-08-2005, 12:16 PM
If you're only considering doing fluid maintenance, I'd recommend ramps. If however, you'd want to do brakes and other wrench turning, definitely get the floor jack and jackstands.
________
buy silversurfer vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/silver-surfer)

BenjiBoy650
10-08-2005, 12:24 PM
If you're only considering doing fluid maintenance, I'd recommend ramps. If however, you'd want to do brakes and other wrench turning, definitely get the floor jack and jackstands.

Well said. I prefer jack/jackstands because it lets you do tire rotation much more easily.

SWATaccord
10-08-2005, 07:41 PM
jes use the sidewalk