TCS & Engine light went on & D4 blinking...what happend?? [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: TCS & Engine light went on & D4 blinking...what happend??

prowler220x
04-14-2010, 10:31 AM
So today I'm driving down the street and all of a sudden my TCS & Check Engine lights turn on and my D4 lights starts blinking. I pull over, turn the car off then back on and the TCS light is off the the D4 is now solid like it should but the Check Engine light is still on.

Before I go out and get the engine light checked out for the code to find out what it's reading, has anyone experienced this before? What happend??

cajun
04-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Is it shifting okay? What color is your ATF and is it at the correct level? Hope I'm wrong, but your trans might be giving you an early warning.

prowler220x
04-14-2010, 10:49 AM
I've only had the car for about a month and haven't noticed any changes in the shifting since I purchased it. The ATF fluid is a reddish color and it's at the correct level.

AccordLXMaster
04-14-2010, 01:10 PM
blinking d4 light.....is a VSS(vehicle speed sensor)

EDIT: also indicates problems with the tranny....sorry

prowler220x
04-14-2010, 01:53 PM
I guess replace it with one of these & then see how it goes?
http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepartment/Speed_Sensor/HONDA/ACCORD

Anyone experience what I mentioned in the first post?

cajun
04-15-2010, 08:32 AM

See how it goes? Pull your CEL code before you start replacing parts.

prowler220x
04-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Of course, I'm getting that checked today before I order any parts

ShortTom
04-15-2010, 09:29 AM
http://www.partstrain.com/ShopByDepartment/Speed_Sensor/HONDA/ACCORD

Anyone experience what I mentioned in the first post?

Accord to the Honda OwnerLink extended transmission warranty statement:

" These characteristics are not normal; if you experience any of them, call your Honda dealer.

* While driving, the D4 indicator on the instrument panel flashes.

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/documentum/images/mai/recalls/D4.jpg

* An abnormally loud noise from the transmission.
* Extremely slow or delayed gear engagement, upshifts, or downshifts.
* Abnormal gear slippage during upshifts or downshifts.
* Erratic or excessively harsh shifting.
* Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) leaks.

In the next few weeks, owners of potentially affected vehicles will be sent a copy of this letter along with reimbursement instructions in case they previously paid to have the transmission repaired or replaced.

It's important to maintain your vehicle's transmission according to the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual. Not maintaining the transmission properly can void the warranty coverage.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

Sincerely,

AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC.
Honda Automobile Division "

I guess that's mainly no helpful other than indicating it's not a normal scenario. What year and mileage is on your Honda? I spoke to a Honda tech the other day that said even if your vehicle's out of warranty Honda will "work with you" on a transmission replacement. The extended warranty I'm talking about is for 98-01 models and covers 7 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first so you're def out of warranty. Unless there's another tranny recall on later models.

prowler220x
04-15-2010, 10:10 AM
It's got around 107,300 miles on it. It shifts pretty smoothly and the tranny's not making any loud noises.

1st to 2nd gear doesn't happen as quick as it did on previous car's I've owned unless I push down a bit harder on the gas pedal but I'm assuming that's because of the transmission and not an indicator of a problem

I'll know more after I get the CEL code

AccordLXMaster
04-15-2010, 10:46 AM
yeah just pull the code...

prowler220x
04-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Got the code read:

PO780 - Shift Malfunction

They turned the light off and said if it goes back on then it's really a problem. Anyone deal with this? The car still shift and sounds pretty smooth so I'm hoping if maybe replacing the fluid and the filter in the tranny will keep this problem at bay.

CDsDontBurn
04-16-2010, 12:13 PM
i did. but my transmission was already a gonner at the time. a few days after this started happening to me and i got that code, i took my car to a shop to have the tranny rebuilt.

you say yours is shifting fine, so maybe it just happened once or twice. keep an eye on it to see if it comes back. on my car when it happened, it was slipping a lot between all 3 gear changes: 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th.

ShortTom
04-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Got the code read:

PO780 - Shift Malfunction

They turned the light off and said if it goes back on then it's really a problem. Anyone deal with this? The car still shift and sounds pretty smooth so I'm hoping if maybe replacing the fluid and the filter in the tranny will keep this problem at bay.

Sure couldn't hurt. I'm like CDs you pretty much have to wait and she what does.