what do they check during inspections? [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: what do they check during inspections?

nodrog321
07-31-2010, 07:43 PM
wasnt too sure where to post this..

what do they check during inspection? i shouldnt have any problems with my HIDs right? i have HIDs in my fogs and in my lows, if that matters..

paperboy42190
07-31-2010, 10:28 PM
i keep hearing about these "inspections"...which states do this? i would think california would be one of these states because we have the most strict standards around but all i need is smog check every 2 years...

hillstones
07-31-2010, 11:46 PM
Well, modifying your headlights is illegal in pretty much all States. Not sure what inspection you are referring to. As paperboy said, in CA, the only inspection required is a smog check every few years, depending on the age of the vehicle. Do they strip search your vehicle in NY during one of your "inspections?"

nodrog321
08-01-2010, 04:40 AM
Hmm. I'm not too sure what they check exactly as this is my first car. But its a yearly thing.

RTexasF
08-01-2010, 05:02 AM
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm#einspect

Sylver Bullet
08-01-2010, 05:24 AM
Hmm. I'm not too sure what they check exactly as this is my first car. But its a yearly thing.

You're one of the lucky bunch. :) MD inspections are generally a "once and you're done" deal. Frequency varies by state, e.g. PA also requires annual inspections.

nodrog321
08-01-2010, 05:28 AM
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/vehsafe.htm#einspect

yea, i was actually just looking at that.. looks like they DO check lights.. but how thoroughly? hopefully they just check that they turn on. i mean there shouldnt be any problems right? or all these civics and corollas with HIDs in their reflectors blinding everyone would fail every year..

AznAccord08
08-01-2010, 06:03 AM
You're one of the lucky bunch. :) MD inspections are generally a "once and you're done" deal. Frequency varies by state, e.g. PA also requires annual inspections.

+1 MD is easy to get away with (except if you have a exhaust system with a 2" tip).

VA is more difficult to pass (every year). As soon as they sit in, they will check all the lights on the dash (CEL, SRS, ABS, etc). They check that all your accessories work (lights, wipers, horn, etc) then raise the hood check for leaks, and go under the car to check for safety (brakes, lines, hoses, oil pans, etc). It's like getting an full inspection for $16.

Depending on the inspector, they will try to fail you for "ride being too low", "exhaust too loud", "too much lighting", "oversized wheels", ... random stuff.

Then the emissions test is to check for "emissions". It's either like a dyno type test where they run it on a diagnostic ramp or they plug a OBD scanner into your car and something in the fuel tank to check for CEL codes and emissions level depending on your make, model, and year. $28.

yea, i was actually just looking at that.. looks like they DO check lights.. but how thoroughly? hopefully they just check that they turn on. i mean there shouldnt be any problems right? or all these civics and corollas with HIDs in their reflectors blinding everyone would fail every year..

NY they check headlights because people like to ride around with 15000k deep blue, sometimes 30000k purple, and one time I've seen GREEN HID in halogen housings that are really unsafe on the road. Along with that, they have on the fog lights and other misc. lights they've added to their car [Ricey]

nodrog321
08-01-2010, 07:37 AM
+1 MD is easy to get away with (except if you have a exhaust system with a 2" tip).

VA is more difficult to pass (every year). As soon as they sit in, they will check all the lights on the dash (CEL, SRS, ABS, etc). They check that all your accessories work (lights, wipers, horn, etc) then raise the hood check for leaks, and go under the car to check for safety (brakes, lines, hoses, oil pans, etc). It's like getting an full inspection for $16.

Depending on the inspector, they will try to fail you for "ride being too low", "exhaust too loud", "too much lighting", "oversized wheels", ... random stuff.

Then the emissions test is to check for "emissions". It's either like a dyno type test where they run it on a diagnostic ramp or they plug a OBD scanner into your car and something in the fuel tank to check for CEL codes and emissions level depending on your make, model, and year. $28.

NY they check headlights because people like to ride around with 15000k deep blue, sometimes 30000k purple, and one time I've seen GREEN HID in halogen housings that are really unsafe on the road. Along with that, they have on the fog lights and other misc. lights they've added to their car [Ricey]

ive seen people with purple lights, actually saw one last night.. stupidest thing IMO.

so i shouldnt have any problems with my HIDs right? i mean i do have a retro on my lows with 4500k, but my fogs are just regular housings with 4300k.

CYANiDE
08-01-2010, 09:49 AM
You will pass as long as they aren't pink or super blue. I passed with them. If you need a place to go to I can take you somewhere not to far that will definitely pass you.

Trip
08-01-2010, 12:37 PM
The inspection station / inspectors can vary from wild to mild, too. My Wagon passed inspection for two years with a small hole in the tail light. Year three . . . same hole, same size, suddenly was enough to fail the car. :-/

AznAccord08
08-01-2010, 05:29 PM
ive seen people with purple lights, actually saw one last night.. stupidest thing IMO.

so i shouldnt have any problems with my HIDs right? i mean i do have a retro on my lows with 4500k, but my fogs are just regular housings with 4300k.

I've seen your from pics and your youtube vid, you're fine. Just do not change it to some deep color.

nodrog321
08-01-2010, 05:32 PM
I've seen your from pics and your youtube vid, you're fine. Just do not change it to some deep color.

i probably wont. if anything 5000k is the most i would go up to.

im gonna bring mine to some asian place so hopefully they wont be too strict about it. (yes im asian). and i thought my inspection date was earlier.. but it looks like its not until march of next year. loll. thanks for your input though everyone! :thmsup:

_BIG_
08-02-2010, 12:53 PM
just had my MA state inspection done a week or two ago. its a safety and emissions type inspection for us that is yearly and $29 (i know its not NY test but might give you an idea of some of the stuff they check)
http://www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/index.html

Safety Tests
Safety inspections typically take about 12 minutes. In a safety test, the inspector looks for or tests 14 key areas:

1. Visual Overview
Certificate of registration
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
License plate(s) Decal
2. Brake Tests
Parking brake
Service brake
3. Exhaust System
Exhaust system components/Muffler
Visible blue or black smoke
4. Steering and Suspension
Steering wheel and box
Suspension/front end
Springs
Shocks
5. Horn
Sound horn to test for adequate signal
The horn must be securely fastened to the vehicle
6. Glazing, Glass and Windshield Wipers
Windshield
Windshield wipers and washer
Windows
Tint
7. Rear View Mirror
Rear view mirror
Mirrors (General)
8. Lighting Devices
Head light aim
Hazard lights/directionals/stop/reverse lights/and license plate light(s)
Reflectors
9. Tires and Wheels
Tires
Wheels
10. Bumper, Fenders, and Fuel Tank
Bumpers
Fenders
Floor pans
Fuel tank
Vehicle Frame or Unibody
11. Altered Vehicle Height
12. Seat Belts
13. Airbags
14. Fuel Tank Cap

Emissions Tests
Massachusetts uses two types of emissions tests: On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) for most vehicles and Snap Acceleration Opacity for heavy duty vehicles that are not equipped with OBD systems.
The Massachusetts Vehicle Check on-board diagnostic (OBD) emissions test is designed to ensure that your vehicle keeps running as cleanly as it was designed to run, which in turn protects the air we breathe.

The OBD test typically takes about 3 minutes. The inspector connects your vehicle's on-board computer to an analyzer in the station, and then downloads engine and emissions control data. The analyzer checks several OBD system functions
Communication. Does your vehicle’s OBD system communicate with the analyzer?
Readiness. Is your vehicle’s OBD system “ready” to be tested?
Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). Why would the OBD system turn on the Check Engine light?
Check Engine Light. Is the Check Engine light (sometimes labeled as “Service Engine Soon”) turned on?

and i got it done 3 days after installing a 6000k hid kit into factory halogen reflectors and passed fine