Is factory alarm STANDARD on the EX-L model??! Did I get ripped off? [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Is factory alarm STANDARD on the EX-L model??! Did I get ripped off?

ShootingStar
07-31-2010, 09:29 PM
HELLO ALL :)

I am a chick happy with my new coupe :)

I just got the Honda accord coupe Ex-L 2010 a month ago...........its BEAUITFUL and have been reading up on the threads for weeks now and finally decided to join to put in my two cents and give feedback to you all too....

Here is my issue....i hope someone can answer my question...
Does the Accord coupe 08-10 models come with factory alarm. If not, does the Ex-L? Most importantly DID I GET RIPPED OFF??!

After settling on the price of the car, I said I wanted alarm. He said 799, then 699. So I paid 600 for the alarm to be activated. I know its quite a bit high.... I know I could have prob gotten it for cheap if I negotiated or stayed longer. The point is...I don't think it has shock sensors because I kicked my tires real hard and nothing happened, moved my car..nothing. So I emailed the guy who sold me the car and asked ( i knew it would prob be no) if i could get it refunded because at the time I felt pressured to just go with it. He said he cant refund it because its been activated then he said quote "The alarm has already been activated...no refunds. Factory alarm? I don't think so. All the Honda product comes with Alarms from the factory. The shock sensor upgrade you purchased also reimburses you up to $500 deductible if the car is broken into or stolen"

SO WHAT THE HELL DID I BUY? as far as I knew it, I said i wanted an alarm and he said 699. Is he saying that all honda's come with factory alarms and that I purchased the shock sensor upgrade??! (He never said that at the time of purchase at all!)

Someone please explain this to me!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am confused and feeling tricked.....

Gosha
07-31-2010, 09:34 PM
First of all where the hell dd you get your car? second every car has standard alarm, there is NO WAY he could have hoocked up a shock sensor to the stock system. If you dont have another keyfob that means you dont have jack other than stock alarm. If you got it at a dealer then go and get your money back because the guy just ripped you off

ShootingStar
07-31-2010, 09:41 PM
I bought in Honda of El Cajon, California. I got a good deal online, and he prob thought he could get his commisions worth by sellling me the 'alarm'.

he told me that there was no alarm, and it just locks and unlocks. I said i wanted alarm. Thats when he said 799, then 699.

SO YOU ARE SAYING IT COMES STANDARD with alarm??!!!!!!!!! omg i am now very upset. He EVEN said no refunds.

Is there even such thing as adding a shock sensor to your purchase??!

He said that the alarm comes with a "electronic coded key" to stop the ignition if someone tries to start the car with another key other than that one. Does this 'electronic coded key' also come standard??!

Gosha
07-31-2010, 09:46 PM
No there is no such thing as a shock sensor (only on actual real alarms which take time to install, aka aftermarket), the guy just straight up lied to you. The stock alarm is open and close, and say you leave your windows open and lock the car. If someone tried to open the car by turning the button inside an alarm will go off.

The only alarms are made by other companies which i cant remember now, they will actually give you a keyfob. If you dont have any keyfobs or any paperwork on an alarm being installed then there is your problem.

That is some some shady shit the guy did to you. Go to the dealer and ask to speak with the main manager in charge because that ass should be fired and probably will.

Richnator
07-31-2010, 10:00 PM
Unfortunately, once you sign the papers then the deal is done. The guy should be fired for being so shady. He basically straight up lied to you and I think those people should be burned. Anyway, like Gosha said, go talk to the manager in charge and complain. Also write a complaint letter to Honda headquarters concerning this unprofessional conduct by this salesperson. I can't believe people like that exist and just reading your story wants me to kick his ass.

ShootingStar
07-31-2010, 10:01 PM
I am going there tomorrow first thing when I wake up and going to get this settled.

I feel like I was tricked into this 'shock sensor upgrade" thing. thing is he never said 'oh the car comes with factory alarm, do you want to upgrade your security" no he just said its 699. On top of that when I was in the finance room, i asked the finance guy is my alarm activated yet? and instead of him going "its already on there" he goes "i will check, most come activated and if you choose not to buy it we take it out"

It dosnt matter where your from or what state you bought it right, a honda is a honda and it comes with the factory alarm.?

no, there was no other key fob or paper work. On my finance papers, i paid 699 for what is said to be "Theft Deterrent" I wonder if that is the 'shock sensor upgrade " they were talking about.

is the 1900 dollars I paid for extended warranty (6 years instead of 3 ) worth it? should i refund that???

First car buying experience=not so good now

Richnator
07-31-2010, 10:11 PM
I usually say no to everything because Honda are very reliable. You are not going to have problems like other American cars, chevy and such. I don't know if you can ask a refund because you did sign the papers concerning that warranty, but you can requiest a refund for the alarm because it is something that was not installed. Basically, you have a valid argument to request your money back for the alarm because the service, being the "shock activated" alarm, was not installed.

ShootingStar
07-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Sent email to guy saying i wanted ext. warranty refunded.... he replied with nasty email saying my friends are OBVIOUSLY not looking out for me because the warranty is worth it.

Thankfully i read in my service contract I have 60 days to return. I am going to do that tomorrow as well.

desiboy5291
07-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Sent email to guy saying i wanted ext. warranty refunded.... he replied with nasty email saying my friends are OBVIOUSLY not looking out for me because the warranty is worth it.

Thankfully i read in my service contract I have 60 days to return. I am going to do that tomorrow as well.

Dont mention friends or the forum telling you what to do. Just say you felt uncomfortable and pressured into purchasing these things you did not want and that if he would refund it that you would appreciate it. If he still acts like a d-bag speak to his manager and once again explain what happend... and like the other guy said... send a letter to Honda. I am sure they will compensate you in some way. If not, try a new dealership.

Gosha
07-31-2010, 11:25 PM
Finance room is where they get you, its the final step to getting the car, so even the main manger probably didnt know about it. Dont back down and tell them you want both things refunded, that seems to be the only way of getting through dealerships these days. Explain to them that factory alarm is, factory, there cannot be any shock sensor activations added to it. Tell them that there is no such thing as activating an alarm. Just put it this way, from what youre telling us EVERYTHING they told you about activations, alarms, sensors is BS and lie just so its clear and what you need to say. Good luck and let us know

berg
08-01-2010, 12:02 AM
why get extended warranty if your covered under bumper to bumper still?? that have double coverage for first 3 years.maybe if it started after the bumper to bumper was over that would be ok but you can always buy a warranty on your own after the bumper to bumper is over with.Yes turn off that extended warranty.If they give you any hassle like saying they are faxing the papers and no refund comes call honda corp hotline file a complaint and im sure the main manager will be calling your phone apologizing for the while situation ha ha ha ha i know i been there and done that

berg
08-01-2010, 12:08 AM
To get your warrenty refunded you have to bring the copy of the contract in and (let them photo copy the originals) and you need to sign cancellation paper and they fax it right in front of you to make sure.Sad I had to watch them fax it after 2 times they said they did already.They make money off these warranty thats why they get so mad when you refund them because they have to give it back also ha ha ha
Nissan dealership was so much more respectful they asked us once of we wanted the warranty and when we said no they didn't try to explain the cons and why we really need to get it.they left it at that.I know for a fact because i was in Skype with the wife while she was buying the car for me,LMFAO!!

07AccordEx-L
08-01-2010, 12:32 AM
One rule of thumb when trying to save money, NEVER EVER buy extended warranty. As far as I know, most of the time Honda as well as other dealerships always call BS on anything that could be covered under warranty.

My driver side window rolls down slower than my passenger window. I told a tech this and he said they both roll down at the same time to him. But when I used to the unroll window with key function, the driver side window was still up while the passenger was noticeably lower. The tech then told me it was common and they could not fix it. Seems to me he just didn't want to.

Research and research next time before you buy a car. Never feel pressured to buy "extras". It's your money, and as long as you make a reasonable offer (can be low too), then the dealers won't refuse it. Here's another tip, the best time to go to the dealership is at the end of the month.

07AccordEx-L
08-01-2010, 12:34 AM
and to answer your question, you got duped into buying an alarm system that already came on standard AND activated on your car. What that dealer did should be illegal (idk if it is). Email him and tell him you found out the alarm came standard and if he doesn't refund, then you will file a complaint to the manager and honda.

Unearthed
08-01-2010, 12:51 AM
This is bad bad bad and why car dealers get a bad rep as a whole. Also, the warranty isn't a bad idea but $1900...wow. Search online and you can buy it for at least $1000 cheaper.

berg
08-01-2010, 12:56 AM
This is bad bad bad and why car dealers get a bad rep as a whole. Also, the warranty isn't a bad idea but $1900...wow. Search online and you can buy it for at least $1000 cheaper.

tell me how have double coverage for the first 3 years makes sense??

DrumZ53
08-01-2010, 02:52 AM
tell me how have double coverage for the first 3 years makes sense??

The extended warrenty takes over when the stantard 3 year one expires

berg
08-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Not all the ones they have tried to sell me and the one we canceled.We had one on our mazda5 and when we traded the car in we were refunded a prorated amount for how much of the warranty was left out of the coverage.then why is it you get a 60 days to cancel and get a full refund.because it starts as soon as you buy it.why would they sell you something that wont take affect for 3 years?you may want to look at your warranty papers.

yjm
08-01-2010, 03:11 AM
Congrats on your new car. I especially like your choice, but I guess I'm a little biased. What color did you get?

The EX-L model comes with an alarm and an engine immobilizer. Even if the thief breaks the window and gets in your car he's not going anywhere with it because of the immobilizer. The Honda's from the 80's and 90's are some of the most stolen cars made, but when Honda started putting engine immobilizers in their cars, theft of Honda's went down dramatically. The only way new Honda's can be stolen now is on the back of a flatbed truck.

It is pretty scummy and shady they would tell you the car doesn't come with an alarm, but, I hate to say this, you should have done a little homework before you bought the car. Even if you went to the Honda website they give full descriptions of the different models, and you would have seen the Accord EX-L already comes with an alarm and the engine immobilizer. When buying something really expensive like a car or a house it's best to be an informed buyer so you don't get taken advantage of the way you did.

While it ****s you lost some money on the deal, it's only money, you'll make it back. For now enjoy your new car and don't let this experience ruin that new car enjoyment. You live and learn, now you'll know better the next time you buy a car.

denniswolf
08-01-2010, 04:00 AM
I hate people like this... scumbags ...and i have dealt with MANY in this industry. You should be ok because you have on paper that 'theft prevention' was installed and that you can return the warranty within 60 days. Don't listen to any of their BS. Just go with what you have written down and make demands. They have already proven to be uncooperative. Best of luck!

cajun
08-01-2010, 04:17 AM
You should be ok because you have on paper that 'theft prevention' was installed and that you can return the warranty within 60 days.

Doubt it. If something like "alarm activation for $700" was in the paperwork the OP might have a shot. "Theft prevention" can be any BS the dealer wants to dream up. Dealers around here have a $200 "theft prevention" package. They mark your glass and add your VIN to some database. My guess is the OP's dealer has some kind of BS package like that, but the scum salesguy came up with alarm activation story instead.

Sad to hear that someone got ripped, but you have to do your homework before you walk into the hornet's nest at the dealership.

trithumb
08-01-2010, 05:25 AM
write to honda themselves.... get as much info together as u can.. is it on the paper work as an alarm activation? if so take it to them and show them cuz theres no alarm options for the car at dealer level...try to get that guy fired cuz who knows what else hes getting away with.. for the future always always always think about everything they say... YOU are in control of the purchase... all you have to do is say no... or hey all this new info i wana go home and think it over... ill come back tomorrow.. thats what i did with the warrenty

Sylver Bullet
08-01-2010, 05:28 AM
HELLO ALL :)
Here is my issue....i hope someone can answer my question...
Does the Accord coupe 08-10 models come with factory alarm. If not, does the Ex-L? Most importantly DID I GET RIPPED OFF??!

Star, congrats on your coupe and welcome to the forum. :)

The window sticker for my 07 EXL-V6 lists remote entry and alarm system as "standard equipment at no extra cost." Good luck.

For better content: write a letter and send it certified mail to the owner, and a copy to the general manager of the dealership. Keep it friendly and professional, but explain your situation. I did this after the dealer I purchased from snuck money back into my contract, and received my refund very quickly. If you'd like an example, send me a PM and I'll show you what I wrote. I think you'll have more leverage by keeping things in writing, versus word-of-mouth.

If the dealership won't budge, I'd recommend filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I understand you're upset, but you may receive a better response by taking the high road and a professional attitude with this dealer.

And as everyone is suggesting of course, gather information -- you wrote that you have a certain period where you can return the purchase, so best of luck!

Aviography
08-01-2010, 06:08 AM
OP,

You said you bought this car on-line, did the salesperson email you saying "there is no alarm"? You need evidence and if he's so dumb to put the lies on paper, then you have a good chance.

Better Business Bureau should also hear this from you, although they are not that effective in enforcing a refund..........., but you will at least be able to taint their record on BBB file.

DrumZ53
08-01-2010, 06:16 AM
By the way....Welcome to the Forum...enjoy the coupe :thmsup:

gentledental4u
08-01-2010, 06:37 AM
they tried to sell me that alarm thingie... i forgot what it was called...but one of the dealershipres told me that it was worth only 20 bucks..and they sell for 200.....

so i never trusted car salesman...you know how to to tell if they are liars or not? you test them with something that you know is absolutely false about the car.... then you see how they react...you see what they do when they lie.. then you see how they react when you ask something you don't know..
..like playing poker!!!

Aviography
08-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Sadly I have not personally met any car salesmen that had been truthful, and that includes an ex-neighbor who didn't pay his share of the fence cost for almost a year........

ShootingStar
08-01-2010, 07:04 AM
OP,

You said you bought this car on-line, did the salesperson email you saying "there is no alarm"? You need evidence and if he's so dumb to put the lies on paper, then you have a good chance.

Better Business Bureau should also hear this from you, although they are not that effective in enforcing a refund..........., but you will at least be able to taint their record on BBB file.

Unfortunately no. In person I asked if I could get alarm on the car if there wasnt one and he never said there was one. He said "we will discuss that later" . So in the negotiating room they already calculated the "alarm" with my payments. They said you wanted "alarm" right? I said yes.

In the email when I told them I wanted a refund , he said no refunds "the alarm has already been activated" He then said that it was a shock sensor upgrade and 500 deductible if my car got broken into or stolen" He said that it came with alarm..so im M ORE UPSET that he wrote me UNDERSTANDING that there is an alarm and NOW informing that i purchased something else when at the dealership I was under the impression that I was purchasing an 'alarm' for the car.

If there was a shock senor 'upgrade' like Karr systems ...how come I never got a brochure or lecture or anything for it??!!

freaking stealership.

ShootingStar
08-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Doubt it. If something like "alarm activation for $700" was in the paperwork the OP might have a shot. "Theft prevention" can be any BS the dealer wants to dream up. Dealers around here have a $200 "theft prevention" package. They mark your glass and add your VIN to some database. My guess is the OP's dealer has some kind of BS package like that, but the scum salesguy came up with alarm activation story instead.

Sad to hear that someone got ripped, but you have to do your homework before you walk into the hornet's nest at the dealership.

Sadly, I did do my homework but not enough . I knew it had a security system so I asked "is there alarm on the car, if not I want one" that was my mistake... saying I wanted one. He said no, we could discuss it later. On my finance papers it says "Theft Deterrent" for the 700 dollars. WHAT IS THAT?!

GNote
08-01-2010, 07:53 AM
ShootingStar, get him to detail in writing what it was that you paid for then also get the paperwork explaining the $500 deductable (and anything else). It will either ferret out his lie more which give you better ground to stand on or give you peace of mind knowing that you don't have to pay a $500 deductable if your car is broken into.

Also, RETURN the extended warrantee for a full refund. There is no reason why this person should get any more of your hard earned mony in commission. If you want the extended warrantee, you can still buy it from another dealer.

Sorry about what happened BTW.

ShootingStar
08-01-2010, 08:06 AM
ShootingStar, get him to detail in writing what it was that you paid for then also get the paperwork explaining the $500 deductable (and anything else). It will either ferret out his lie more which give you better ground to stand on or give you peace of mind knowing that you don't have to pay a $500 deductable if your car is broken into.

Also, RETURN the extended warrantee for a full refund. There is no reason why this person should get any more of your hard earned mony in commission. If you want the extended warrantee, you can still buy it from another dealer.

Sorry about what happened BTW.

Thanks for your concern :) much appreciated. Thing is I never received no literature, brochure or paperwork about a 500 dollar deductible. He never told me it was a 'sensor upgrade' from factory alarm. He just said it was an alarm because I was under the impression there wasnt already one on the car. I guess he found this as the opportune time to slip an upgrade in . If i would have known, I never would have bought this so called option. Apparently if I had said no, they would have removed the 'chip' and I would have been left with the factory alarm which is FINE BY ME, thats what i wanted. However being my first car buying experience and my excitedness, I was totally tricked into getting something that I did not want. But on top of that I had no idea I had gotten that...I wanted the ALARM, not a shock sensor upgrade. 500 dollar deductible paid for car broken into is just not worth it, esp now when I realized I have been duped........

I am returning the warranty . He dosnt deserve the commission on what he done. I am waiting a few more hours for dealership to open so I can go bitch at them.

PersianPride
08-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Wtf i got the 6 year extended warranty for 750, and i live in canada which should be more expensive ...

ShootingStar
08-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Wtf i got the 6 year extended warranty for 750, and i live in canada which should be more expensive ...

Did you have to negotiate? Wow, i totally got ripped off.

PersianPride
08-01-2010, 08:16 AM
oh welcome to DA forums shooting star :)
and yes I DID negotiate it because the original price was 1250 and i kinda showed them how upset i was with that price so they lowered it to 850 and then to 750. you should really talk to the general manager of that store. anyways make sure you enjoy the coupe coz its a lovely ride

Aviography
08-01-2010, 08:20 AM
i got the 6 year extended warranty for 750, and i live in canada which should be more expensive ...

That's almost too good to be true, a few thoughs come to mind:

- What exactly did this extended warranty cover? Or more importantly what are not covered?
- Who is administering this warranty? Honda Canada or some third-party company? (I've heard some pretty bad horror stories with 3rd party held extended warranties!)
- What is the deductable? $25 per occurance? $250 per occurance?
- While none of us wants to think so, but perhaps they made money from you elsewhere in the purchase deal?

ShootingStar
08-01-2010, 08:22 AM
That's almost too good to be true, a few thoughs come to mind:

- What exactly did this extended warranty cover? Or more importantly what are not covered?
- Who is administering this warranty? Honda Canada or some third-party company? (I've heard some pretty bad horror stories with 3rd party held extended warranties!)
- What is the deductable? $25 per occurance? $250 per occurance?
- While none of us wants to think so, but perhaps they made money from you elsewhere in the purchase deal?

Mine is a 100 dollar deductible

PersianPride
08-01-2010, 08:23 AM
nah its the bumper to bumper warranty that comes with the car extended to 6 years. oh well i kinda was upset with the way i was treated and complained to head office first day i went there. so they called me back and apologized n asked me to come and negotiate for the car price and the best discount i got was on my warranty

Danielc409
08-01-2010, 09:05 AM
I hate to even ask how much they sold you the car for. When you are in the finance room or whatever, it's good to get them show you everything you are paying for step by step and have them point it out to you. I bet they sold you the paint and interior protection plan as well. Of course they will say "hey it's only 10 more bucks a month on your monthly payment, but figure that amount times how long your financing the car for and you'll see it's ridiculous. You can have all that junk removed off your contract.

The first time I bought a truck, my mom came with me and negotiated like a mofo lol. This Accord is my second vehicle, I didn't get to negotiate the price much because I was trading in my truck BUT you can at least figure out what and what you do not want on the contract IE extended warranties and protection packages etc.

zavato
08-01-2010, 09:07 AM
FWIW, I have 2 comments

1- To the OP, did you read the window sticker showing what equipment is included with the car? Caveat Emptor

2- As for extended warranty- we bought an extended warranty for our 2002 Odyssey. IT PAID FOR ITSELF IN SPADES. Between a transmission that needed to be replaced, together with an ECU, broken engine mounts, AC problems, sliding door problems, the warranty saved me THOUSANDS. Plus, I NEVER had any trouble getting anything repaired under the terms of the extended warranty. No one ever tried to dodge their responsibility.

A Honda is a machine and machines break. If you intend to keep your car for the long haul, an extended warranty, though a gamble, might be a good bet

Danielc409
08-01-2010, 09:09 AM
FWIW, I have 2 comments

1- To the OP, did you read the window sticker showing what equipment is included with the car? Caveat Emptor

2- As for extended warranty- we bought an extended warranty for our 2002 Odyssey. IT PAID FOR ITSELF IN SPADES. Between a transmission that needed to be replaced, together with an ECU, broken engine mounts, AC problems, sliding door problems, the warranty saved me THOUSANDS. Plus, I NEVER had any trouble getting anything repaired under the terms of the extended warranty. No one ever tried to dodge their responsibility.

A Honda is a machine and machines break. If you intend to keep your car for the long haul, an extended warranty, though a gamble, might be a good bet

Agreed IF you plan to keep your vehicle for that long. But obviously you don't need it if you only plan on keeping your vehicle 3-4 years.

BLKCOUPE
08-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Star, any update on what happened at the dealership today?

ShootingStar
08-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Star, any update on what happened at the dealership today?

Yes I got an update!!!!!!! Its a nasty one. ...for a quickie on the issue..basically this is it. I asked when I bought the car if it had any alarm. Guy said no. I said I want one. He charged me 700. Papers called it 'alarm activation". I asked for refund on ext. warranty and alarm. He said cant on the alarm, its activated and that what I purchased was the 'shock sensor upgrade' which qualifies me for 500 dollars deductible they pay if my car gets broken into. He then says all hondas come with the 'factory alarm' I write nasty email saying he tricked me and I want my refund. I just wanted the basic alarm, not an 'upgrade'. Papers do not say upgrade or instructions on anything. He did not even do a walk through. So on the day i bought car he said there is no alarm, and now in email he says there is and i bought the sensor upgrade..
-------

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!
------------

I got a phone call from my sales guy saying that he read the 'most nasty and irritating email ever' (I basically wrote that he low balled me and took advantage of me) and he went on about how he NEVER does that and would never do that. Talked forever about how there is no alarm at all and that its just a keyless entry system. and i said wat is the security system then??! the anti-theft sticker on my window ??! he said its the keyless entry system. and I said in your email you said it comes with factory alarm!!!!!!!!! He went on and on about how there is no alarm and the alarm is the 'key less entry system' I said , but it makes an alarm sound when someone opens the door from inside when factory alarm is armed. He says again there is no alarm and what I bought is the alarm. I get furious and he tells me rudely to "come in and we can discuss this with the managers, see you later! BYE" he hung up. AHHHHHHHHHHH

Ok no he is mixing up his words. First saying that there is no alarm whatsoever, then there is a factory alarm. Then on the phone , he said there is no alarm and that the 'alarm' is the keyless entry.

Point is, he never mentioned anything about factory alarm already being standard. He just asked if i wanted an alarm. If he would have said its a sensor upgrade..I would have SAID NO. but he took advantage of fact that I wanted an alarm and chose to upgrade it himself..........SHADY piece of crap!!!!!!!!

......me and my friend head out to a diff honda dealership...posing as car buyers asking about the alarm (we need to make sure alarm is standard) ...loong story short he confirms every new honda has a factory alarm and immobilizer as standard. He says no sensor. I said what does sensor do...... he says a sudden hit, ball thrown..etc (not just window breakage) will trigger alarm. Ok so HONDA FACTORY ALARMS is standard. (I.E when someone tries to start your ignition with diff key or open car from inside it beeps like crazy)

Go to the dealership I bought my car. Pose as car buyers. Ask same question............. GUY SAYS there is no alarm and we have to buy it!!!!!! And that we can upgrade that to a sensor one too. I say "but dosnt it come with factory alarm" he says well that is just keyless entry...nothing rings. I say so if i try to open door from inside, itwont ring? "Nope". I keep saying that its standard..... finally he changes his story and says .yes its standard and that sensor is upgrade. He gets his 'manager' . Manager intros himself and we ask him the same question. He is upfront , tells me that factory alarm is STANDARD and sensor is an upgrade. Isay how much he says around 400... cheaper for me. (I paid 700).

I ask what does sensor alarm do. He says if you hit it, lots of motion, shake the car...thats when it hits me...MY CAR DOSNT DO THAT DOES IT??

I tell him me and my friends are not car buyers. explain to him the situation that we have been duped and want our money back and tells him MY SENSOR UPGRADE is crap!!!!!!! He goes to my car to check it out . We hit, smack windows, kick tire, shake car, jump on car.......NOTHING goes off. He checks for an alarm inside the car..tells me its not activiated...

THIS IS WHEN IM MORE pissed off. So you are saying i tell him..."Im paying for something I didnt ask for, ANDDDDdd its not even ACTIVATED??!!!!!!" he says he will activate it for me. And apologizes saying sorry im not the one that helped you. I said no, iwant a refund!!!!!!! He says i signed a contract. I said I signed under impression car had no alarm at all! He brings me to my car sales guy.

ME:"HI"
HIM: "whats up"
ME:"I want a return"
HIM:"cant do that. Ill walk you over to finance dept to refund your warranrty though"
"NO i want a refund on my ALARM. it already has one"
HIM: "it dosnt have any type of alarm. you bought it. It was just keyless entry"
HIM"heere is your finance director" (he leaves)
AHHH..
i get my warranty refunded with ease. And i vent to finance lady. Finance lady apologizes and says that yes all cars come with the standard factory alarm which is the 'partial alarm'

I say well I wanted to confirm that and instead he upgraded me to something i didnt want. She tells me to come in tomorrow to speak with the general manager who has worked there for 17 years...

So there it is , I am coming back tomorrow and settling this (hopefully) once and for all.

Sales guy got nasty with me, he should have done right by trying to fix any issues but he prob knew he was wrong and did not want to talk about it. Maybew he didnt know it came with a basic alarm . Either way He ddnt know, or he mislead me. I dont know which is worse.

Fact is , I should have done my hw better but he shouldnt have taken advantage of the fact that i wanted an alarm and slip an upgrade in without even telling me. He is to this day denying that there was any alarm to start with. On top of that.......... my 'sensor' upgrade isnt even THERE...................... so i paid for NOTHING.

Thoughts???????

Danielc409
08-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Sounds like a big mess. I'm glad the manager wasn't as shady as the salesman. Since he said he can't refund you because it's already activated, you should've said well it's NOT activated so I want the refund.

Guess you'll just have to wait to see what they can do for you tomorrow. And you said the manager or the other dealership said it was 400? He's caught in another lie right there ( the salesman charging 700 ).

Good luck, sorry but this is a very crappy first time buying experience, I hope it all works out for you. File every complaint that you can at least against the salesman and the dealership if they don't fix this situation.

There was this one dealership in my area doing some shady advertising business etc and they did a big undercover deal trying to get to the bottom of it. After it was all said and done, news covering the story etc, I think the guy got fined and I want to say the dealership went bankrupt, I can't remember I'd have to try and find it but I can't remember the name of the place.

Unearthed
08-01-2010, 05:44 PM
The fact they gave you such a quick refund on the warranty means they know they are caught.

Rattmann
08-01-2010, 06:06 PM
This is a Harassment and fraud!
Tell them to refund $700 and to get you free all weather floor mats as a good gesture.

Aviography
08-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Start talking about going to the State level complaints and investigations, then see who blinks first.

Edit: Don't loose your cool in front of the manager and the sales-scum, the more in control you demonstrate, the more worrysome they will become since they expect you to get upset with this experience, so the fact that you are suddenly calming down may give them something to think about just how serious you are about elevating this to the next level.

I also wonder about the "oh we haven't activated yet and we will activate it for you now" excuse, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't even install the shock sensor, which is (typically) nothing more than a piezo-electric microphone hooked up to the alarm unit if there is a dedicated alarm module, I would ask another Honda dealer where the shock-sensor is typically installed in the car (if it is external to any control module) but don't tell them why though, and if it is external then for them to confirm through inspection AND show you if your dealership actually installed the sensor as they had claimed. Else your dealership may slip the sensor in there now if they hadn't installed it before, and you would not have any clue that they just slipped another one past you.

You need to collect as much evidence as possible before your next round of discussion with this dealership, they need to know not only you mean business, you have also collected sufficient information to make their life hell for the dishonest conduct the sales-scum committed if they don't refund your money for the "alarm system".

What you do if/after you get your money back is up to you, i would report this to Honda America myself and never return to this dealership again since not only the salses-scum continued his lies, his sales manager is still siding with the lies one of his staff told, that is simply not acceptable.

PersianPride
08-01-2010, 07:03 PM
^^this

ShootingStar
08-01-2010, 10:00 PM
I read all the posts...thanks guys.

I forgot to add that the 'manager' ...being directed from the sales guy..wasnt a manager at all. There was no manager on duty today, being it a Sunday . He finally fessed to not being a manager when I exploded on him and said "your the manager right, fix this" ..he finally said sorry I am not the manager, I am just a honda guy. aaaaaack

I prob shouldnt have but I did some pretty nasty stuff to my car sales guy in an email and I just recently apologized for that part but not to doing what I have to do (getting my refund) i kindly told him that he needs to do right and fix this. In previous emails, I said stuff like 'shame on you' and you are 'low balling and taking advantage' and that he really knows how to 'trick people'. I felt saying mean things like this . But then again... thats who I am..I get emotional and start venting stuff because that is how i felt. MISLED.

I will make sure that I watch them check for the 'sensor alarm' so they dont slip anything in it.

Going to talk to the GM first thing tomorrow... I will update. Thanks again for everyones input/concern.

I mean whats worse..him not knowing the car has a standard alarm, or him misleading me into thinking there isnt one. GAHhh

ShootingStar
08-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Start talking about going to the State level complaints and investigations, then see who blinks first.

Edit: Don't loose your cool in front of the manager and the sales-scum, the more in control you demonstrate, the more worrysome they will become since they expect you to get upset with this experience, so the fact that you are suddenly calming down may give them something to think about just how serious you are about elevating this to the next level.

I also wonder about the "oh we haven't activated yet and we will activate it for you now" excuse, it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't even install the shock sensor, which is (typically) nothing more than a piezo-electric microphone hooked up to the alarm unit if there is a dedicated alarm module, I would ask another Honda dealer where the shock-sensor is typically installed in the car (if it is external to any control module) but don't tell them why though, and if it is external then for them to confirm through inspection AND show you if your dealership actually installed the sensor as they had claimed. Else your dealership may slip the sensor in there now if they hadn't installed it before, and you would not have any clue that they just slipped another one past you.

You need to collect as much evidence as possible before your next round of discussion with this dealership, they need to know not only you mean business, you have also collected sufficient information to make their life hell for the dishonest conduct the sales-scum committed if they don't refund your money for the "alarm system".

What you do if/after you get your money back is up to you, i would report this to Honda America myself and never return to this dealership again since not only the salses-scum continued his lies, his sales manager is still siding with the lies one of his staff told, that is simply not acceptable.

Funny thing is this 'manager' which turns out to be another car salesman "honda guy " as he calls it...actually felt bad and I could see in his face that I was duped. BUt he did say I 'signed the contract' I mean does can the contact be void if I am signing something that I didnt think i was buying?? I thought i was buying activation of an alarm ..not a sensor upgrade to the alarm. I mean shouldnt it say "sensor upgrade- 700 dollars" and then him explain to me what the sensor upgrade is? I got nothing! no walk through on the car, no alarm literature or the like.... no mention of an upgrade to the factory alarm. I just feel like I was totally misled.

BigAnt1969
08-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Sorry to hear about your all of this happening to you, hopefully it will be resolved for you.

I usually never keep a car for more than a few years, but 2 years ago when I bought my Accord I thought the Accord would become the "kids" car once it was about 5 years old so I was interested in an extended warranty.

The dealer I bought my car from wanted $1800 for a 8 year 100K mile Honda Care Warranty. I told them I was planning to buy it from JayHonda online for 1/2 the price. At the time Jay Honda was a popular place to buy an extended warranty with people on the message boards...
My dealer looked at the JayHonda online prices and matched them. In the end I paid $850 for a 8 year 100K Honda Care Warranty.

Aviography
08-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Funny thing is this 'manager' which turns out to be another car salesman "honda guy " as he calls it...actually felt bad and I could see in his face that I was duped. BUt he did say I 'signed the contract' I mean does can the contact be void if I am signing something that I didnt think i was buying?? I thought i was buying activation of an alarm ..not a sensor upgrade to the alarm. I mean shouldnt it say "sensor upgrade- 700 dollars" and then him explain to me what the sensor upgrade is? I got nothing! no walk through on the car, no alarm literature or the like.... no mention of an upgrade to the factory alarm. I just feel like I was totally misled.

Start using the phrase "false pretence", that will give a strong implication they were being dishonest and conned you into buying something different than the impression they gave you.

As I said, unfortunately I have never personally met an honest car salesperson, I'm sure they are out there, but it seems there are far fewer of the honest one than the dishonest ones...........

Unearthed
08-02-2010, 06:25 AM

The "You signed the contract" argument is hilarious in this context. They sold you something that doesn't even exist...be it an activation for an alarm that doesn't exist or a "sensor upgrade" that isn't on the car. They're the ones that violated the contract. It's apparent that's their excuse whenever someone calls them on the BS tactics they use. Sad part is that it probably works on quite a few people.

SatinSilver
08-02-2010, 06:42 AM
If the GM starts to offer more excuses the first thing I would say is something about contacting the local news channels about their fraudulant sales tactics. Most news channels have investigators that report these stories. People enjoy watching these shady people squirm. Almost all get a refund unless its a fly by night operation.

Here's 3 reporters that all belong to the same local station:

http://www.woio.com/Global/category.asp?C=111290&nav=menu68_1_5

Dreamacre
08-02-2010, 07:54 AM
The "people" that lied to you need to be fired and exposed. :thumbsdow

Valkyrie1911
08-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Write a complaint to Corp HQ for Honda. They should take care of it. That's not Honda policy and they don't take kindly to employees acting like that.

fastball
08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I hope you get this straightened out. They seem like real pricks, make sure this dealer is stickied into our list of BAD dealerships......

And in the future, you're best defense is a good offense when buying a car. RESEARCH EVERYTHING before you step foot into a dealership. KNOW what is standard, what MSRP, Invoice, holdback, and advertising fees are, and make your offer. You control the negotiating process.

accda
08-02-2010, 10:24 AM
I don't know the details of your emails/conversations to this point, but here what I would do:

1) Do not let them activate the sensor on your car under any circumstances.

2) If you have an email from your salesman saying that the car does not come with any alarm (unless you purchase one), then save it. If you do not have this in writing, email him again and try to get him to restate his story that the car only has lock/unlock capability and does not come with an alarm unless you puchase one.

3) Do not go into the dealership. They want you there so they can intimidate you. All future contact should be in writing. This will take away their advantage and make you seem it seem like you may be taking things down the legal route.

4) Write a professional letter to the general manager and tell him that your saleman had you purchase an item that comes standard on your model of car. Include the email from the salesman. Let him know that you did not intend to purchase a shock sensor upgrade and in fact it has been confirmed by his dealership that the shock sensor is not activated on your car. Let him know that if he does not refund your money, that you will contact Honda corporate, and pursue any legal means necessary to get your money back. Send this letter certified with return-receipt. (Certified letters are a first step in legal actions, and the he will know this).

5) There is a good chance he'll refund your money. If he doesn't contact Honda corporate. They are good at putting pressure on their dealerships, especially if the unhappy customer seems like they are in the right.

6) If all of the above fails, take them to small claims court. Bring proof that A) the alarm is factory standard (owner's manual, website printout, window sticker, etc), B) The salesman tricked you by saying it comes with no alarm from the factory, and C) your car does not have a shock sensor installed, and there is no justification for the added alarm expense. (Have another dealer independently verify that the sensor is not activated, and put this in writing).

Do not take this lying down. You'll get your money back if you put a little time into it.

Danielc409
08-02-2010, 10:24 AM
I hope you get this straightened out. They seem like real pricks, make sure this dealer is stickied into our list of BAD dealerships......

And in the future, you're best defense is a good offense when buying a car. RESEARCH EVERYTHING before you step foot into a dealership. KNOW what is standard, what MSRP, Invoice, holdback, and advertising fees are, and make your offer. You control the negotiating process.

Have paperwork with you from edmunds and things like that with TMV and what others are paying, and option print outs etc.

rfs830
08-02-2010, 03:42 PM
can you ask if they did install an oem upgrade alarm kit? There are kits that you can get that will upgrade you factory kit but in this case it just looks like they lied to you.

SteveL332
08-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I read all the posts...thanks guys.

I forgot to add that the 'manager' ...being directed from the sales guy..wasnt a manager at all. There was no manager on duty today, being it a Sunday . He finally fessed to not being a manager when I exploded on him and said "your the manager right, fix this" ..he finally said sorry I am not the manager, I am just a honda guy. aaaaaack

I prob shouldnt have but I did some pretty nasty stuff to my car sales guy in an email and I just recently apologized for that part but not to doing what I have to do (getting my refund) i kindly told him that he needs to do right and fix this. In previous emails, I said stuff like 'shame on you' and you are 'low balling and taking advantage' and that he really knows how to 'trick people'. I felt saying mean things like this . But then again... thats who I am..I get emotional and start venting stuff because that is how i felt. MISLED.

I will make sure that I watch them check for the 'sensor alarm' so they dont slip anything in it.

Going to talk to the GM first thing tomorrow... I will update. Thanks again for everyones input/concern.

I mean whats worse..him not knowing the car has a standard alarm, or him misleading me into thinking there isnt one. GAHhh

When you meet with the GM you should make sure you have all of your documentation with you (emails, contractual paperwork, etc). I would calmly tell the GM what the situation is and that he is the final person you will be meeting with at this dealership in order to get this resolved. The next persons will be the State Attorney General's office and the media for their dishonest, or even fraudulent business practice. In addition to their dishonesty at the time of the sale, the dealership's dishonesty was brought to a new level when they tried to pass off another employee as a Manager. I would look the GM right in the eye and ask "does the dishonesty at your dealership never end?" To be fair you have to at least give the GM an honest opportunity to make this right. It is possible that he may not know about this and it's the lower level employees trying to keep this at their level. For these lower level employees to authorize a "fix" might cast a light on what they did and now the higher ups find out and heads start rolling. Stay calm. Be prepared with your facts and figures. Ask that they show you "right now" this motion sensor that was installed on the car. Ask them to demonstrate with you that this part is working also. If they can do all this, I would ask "why does a motion sensor cost THIS MUCH money when you can buy a whole car alarm with installation for less money than $700?" I would also ask for the part number of the unit they said they've installed. Even if you can buy this motion sensor separate as an upgrade the price seems extraordinarily high!! A rip off actually. Good luck and keep us "posted." I think you've sparked a number of members interest on how this will pan out.

accda
08-02-2010, 04:40 PM
When you meet with the GM you should .......

Do not meet with the GM. Write a letter. If you have to escalate this with Honda, the courts, etc, either it's documented in writing or it didn't happen.

ShootingStar
08-02-2010, 05:22 PM
I wrote the GM a professional email stating that I wanted to meet him. I did not explain in clear cut detail. I asked for him to call me first thing because I would like to meet with him face to face. He works 8am-3pm. It was 8:40am when I decided I am not waiting anymore and decided to call him. I was directed to the VP of finance...

I told finance guy ..why do i keep getting directed when I spec. asked to speak to the GM??!!! VP of finance says he is the assistant of GM (weird..) and that the GM forwarded the email to him. He said he takes care of the complaints .

I was very upset that I was directed and not able to speak to the GM... the VP finance guy said he has to hear the problem out first..so I told him...he mostly goes "Hm.."... listening to everything I say. I tell him I want and deserve a refund... he says let me get this straight... so he said there was no kind of alarm whatsoever on the car .."YES" ... so you bought an alarm because you wanted some kind of anti-theft system "YES", there was no upgrade installed "YES", then he goes..."then you are entitled to a refund" WELLL THAT WAS FREAKING EASY...

But i am still pissed. Its the principle that matters. I read on yelp.com another girl had the same issue , she went in to her her alarm service because it wasnt working and they told her (the service people) said there was no alarm. She also paid 700 dollars. I wish it was just a honest mistake where they 'forgot' to do the install but I DONT THINK SO.

I told him i would like to speak with the GM, he said the best thing to do is to email him or write him a letter...I emailed him again writing in detail everything that hap. I told him I still want to talk to him.
I JUST DONT GET WHY HE CANT CALL ME OR talk to ME HIMSELF. why were his emails forwarded to some FINANCE GUY??! I know if i was the GM and someone personally sent me an email detailing what hap , i would personally take care of the issue
Unfortunately, I don't got much evidence but my car sales guy word of mouth that it does not come with an alarm. In person he said he dosnt but in the email to me he says it comes with factory alarm but i purchased the upgrade. Looks like he knows what he is doing....

What is next is seeing if my money is truly refunded . and also the finance guy said he would talk to the GM and the sales guy and call me back in a few days........ and let me know what they discussed. I swear...... they better MORE than refund my money. They better throw in some goods, oil changes and a big apology or im taking this to the TURKO files (news reporter who investigates this stuff)

If the GM never responds to my email and apologizes and I don';t hear from the FINANCE GUY..i will make sure i make hell for them by yelping a bad review and taking this to the news.

stay tuned........

Aviography
08-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Good to hear that it appears you will get your money back.

I wouldn't stress over insisting on discussing this with the GM, there's nothing more you can say that you couldn't put in an email, maybe you can find the information of the dealership owner who you can copy your email to at the same time.

At this point I would personally just get the money and run, don't go back to this dealership for anything.

In life you sometimes need to just move on, as the return on investment of your time, energy, grief, are just not worth it anymore.

That said, the GM not meeting you or not getting back to you with the discussions he had with the sales-scum may be just what you needed to contact the media! :yes:

Dreamacre
08-03-2010, 05:35 AM
I would still send a letter to American Honda, letting them know that these are the kind of people selling their cars.

SatinSilver
08-03-2010, 07:00 AM
If this is Tipton Honda in El Cajon they have an A+ rating on a scale of A+ to F with the BBB. Apparently, if they resolve complaints they get a good rating.

http://www.bbb.org/san-diego/business-reviews/auto-dealers-new-cars/tipton-honda-in-el-cajon-ca-100251/

+1 on what Avio said. After you get the refund time to move on and bring your biz elsewhere. Unless they offered some nice freebies I may reconsider. There are some dealers around here who have awful sales dept's but the service dept's are pretty good.

ShootingStar
08-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Hi all, ...thanks for letting me vent and sharing your opinions. After speaking to the finance director on Monday of this week and him saying he will call me back in 'a few days' and let me know what he found out about the situation...he has not called me back. So I decided to surprise them and sneak in ... the receptionist heard my story and called him out.... he found out who was waiting for him and his 'just a minute' turned in 20 minutes of waiting... he FINALLY met with me and thats what i wanted.

It was pretty much bullshit. There was a mix of genuine apologies coupled with the fact that he has covering up what happened. He never admitted wrong or the fact that he would investigate what would happen. He did however apologize for my bad experience.

He said he never emailed me back but instead forwarded them to the appropriate depts because he knew nothing with alarms and ' i didnt sell you the alarm' so i 'transferred you to finance because he would know better' ...bullshit bullshit and although I see the understanding in this..he least he could have done would have been to email me BACK letting me know he read it and that someone would help me shortly. What customer service!!!!!!!! I think no matter how busy he is, he should take this issue in his own hands and should have taken care of it and contacted me himself. INstead I have been getting the go around for over a week from 3 other diff people.

He told me there was nothing more he could do for me. I got my refund. ( I asked for proof , which I got). and although that is somewhat true , I know if I was an owner of a business , I would more than just refund someone their money...I would find what the hell happened , investigate, throw in some freebies, etc...

He obviously had no wrong to admit. Fake or not, I am finally personally satisfied I got to meet with the GM himself ... and got a apology out of it. He said to come back again but I most likely won't for MANY MANY years , if ever. I mean if thats how the GENERAL manager treats issues, why even bother.

This is a lesson learned for me. Do your homework. Take your business elsewhere when you find out what happened. Move on. I got my refund, if I didnt it would be a diff story.

HADriver06
08-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Op, first of all I'm sorry about what happened and I'm glad you got your refund. :)

My question, did you get your refund for both the alarm system and your $1900 extended warranty? Or you were refunded just for the alarm system?

Extended warranty is usually pointless if you're just keeping the car for a few years. But if you really want one for peace of mind, you can get Honda Care elsewhere for a much lower cost.

I agree with others, I'd still write a complaint letter to American Honda to express your absolute dissatisfaction with this particular dealership.

Honda's cars are great, but sometimes their dealers ****!

gentledental4u
08-07-2010, 07:15 AM
refund for the car??? you returned the car?

Rattmann
08-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Dear Friend, don't feel bad. I recently had a similar terrible experience when I ordered $60K 2011 BMW X5, that was few items missing, that the dealer was telling me are now considered accessories totaling $700. Also there was a small dent and nicked paint happened during transport.

Sadly I had signed the papers otherwise would never taken the delivery, than again it would cost me $550 to cancel, because it was my special order.

Long story short, I got all the missing items installed and free all weather floor mats and carpeted mats from the GManger. Took 3 weeks to resolve. Also got lifetime warranty on the body work as well.
Be very careful new buying any car, of any price range in todays market. "Cutting Coners" is the new trend in auto industry.

TheGandalf
08-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi all, ...thanks for letting me vent and sharing your opinions. After speaking to the finance director on Monday of this week and him saying he will call me back in 'a few days' and let me know what he found out about the situation...he has not called me back. So I decided to surprise them and sneak in ... the receptionist heard my story and called him out.... he found out who was waiting for him and his 'just a minute' turned in 20 minutes of waiting... he FINALLY met with me and thats what i wanted.

It was pretty much bullshit. There was a mix of genuine apologies coupled with the fact that he has covering up what happened. He never admitted wrong or the fact that he would investigate what would happen. He did however apologize for my bad experience.

He said he never emailed me back but instead forwarded them to the appropriate depts because he knew nothing with alarms and ' i didnt sell you the alarm' so i 'transferred you to finance because he would know better' ...bullshit bullshit and although I see the understanding in this..he least he could have done would have been to email me BACK letting me know he read it and that someone would help me shortly. What customer service!!!!!!!! I think no matter how busy he is, he should take this issue in his own hands and should have taken care of it and contacted me himself. INstead I have been getting the go around for over a week from 3 other diff people.

He told me there was nothing more he could do for me. I got my refund. ( I asked for proof , which I got). and although that is somewhat true , I know if I was an owner of a business , I would more than just refund someone their money...I would find what the hell happened , investigate, throw in some freebies, etc...

He obviously had no wrong to admit. Fake or not, I am finally personally satisfied I got to meet with the GM himself ... and got a apology out of it. He said to come back again but I most likely won't for MANY MANY years , if ever. I mean if thats how the GENERAL manager treats issues, why even bother.

This is a lesson learned for me. Do your homework. Take your business elsewhere when you find out what happened. Move on. I got my refund, if I didnt it would be a diff story.

These guys are just a bunch of scumbags... Working for 8am to 3pm and he calls himself too busy to, as you noted, even responding directly to you that things were getting looked at???? These guys care nothing about their customers...