how many more miles do i have before i run out of oil life [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: how many more miles do i have before i run out of oil life

mahjong007
10-04-2010, 05:53 PM
okay, so i have about 15% oil life left on my accord v6. i go to work from 4am and get off at 7pm mon-sat, so as you can see, i dont have time to make it to the shop to get the oil change. obviously i dont want it to run completly out, perhaps, 5 or 10% oil life is still okay with me. since i drove about 150miles with 15% oil life, so how many miles do you think i can run in my car before it gets down to the level where i must get a oil change. i know this sounds kinda dumb and maybe not so good for my car, but i have a very busy schedule and time is money, i'm way past Overtime at work so i'm tryin to work as much OT as possible bc the money is too hard to resist. opinions, comments, advice, just no b.s. thanks in advance.:thmsup:

k24coupe
10-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Your not going to run out of oil lol! The Maintenance Minder uses an oil life indicator which is based on a number of factors not just mileage. I waited until my MM was at 5%. Just get it changed when you have time.

fastball
10-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Run out of oil?????? :screwy:

The Maintenance Minder is to gauge what percentage of useful, clean, efficient lubrication the oil has left in it before it needs to be changed.

reframmellator
10-04-2010, 06:54 PM
I understand about the OT and applaud your work ethic, but let's not be penny wise and pound foolish here.

Surely you can find a Wally World or Sears with an auto center, or, in a place the size of DFW, a dealer who's open until 9.

Do you have a gearhead friend? Pay him/her to come to your work or your place and change the oil for you. If the guy is unemployed, you'd be helping him out.

You can also buy everything you need to do it yourself for less than $25, slightly more if you want to run synthetic.

If none of that works for you, there are probably people who will come to your place in a van and change your oil in your parking lot. They do it for windshields, and I remember some people used to do "we come to you" oil changes.

Rule of thumb for me is that a MM of 15% means I have about 900 miles +/- until the thing runs to 0.

Aviography
10-04-2010, 07:25 PM
OP,

At certain point you stop making money for yourself when you hit the break-even point in the tax bracket.

Aviography
10-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Run out of oil?????? :screwy:

The Maintenance Minder is to gauge what percentage of useful, clean, efficient lubrication the oil has left in it before it needs to be changed.

Edited the thread title for OP, I'm sure that's what he meant. :yes:

xJoeMama78
10-04-2010, 10:54 PM
We can't estimate how many miles you have left without knowing how many miles you have put on since the last oil change. The rate at which the oil life remaining percentage goes down differs depending on your driving conditions. Mine hits 15% at about 6k miles with almost all city driving and short trips. Others have been at 40% at 6k miles.