Squeaking sound while driving [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Squeaking sound while driving

jackal20
01-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Hi
I notice I hear squeaking sound while driving or coasting, but never when im braking. At first I thought it was the timing belt so I bought the fan belt dressing and that didn't resolve the problem. Could it be the rotar even though I only hear the sound while driving or coasting. Plus the sound occurs randomly it will go on for a minute and then nothing. Mile later will hear the sound again. Any idea what it could be. The only way I can describe the sound it just sound like a squeaky sound.

CKNSLS
01-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Hi
I notice I hear squeaking sound while driving or coasting, but never when im braking. At first I thought it was the timing belt so I bought the fan belt dressing and that didn't resolve the problem. Could it be the rotar even though I only hear the sound while driving or coasting. Plus the sound occurs randomly it will go on for a minute and then nothing. Mile later will hear the sound again. Any idea what it could be. The only way I can describe the sound it just sound like a squeaky sound.

Sounds like the wear indicators on the disk pads.

Aviography
01-29-2011, 04:34 AM
Sounds like the wear indicators on the disk pads.

:yes:

jackal20
01-29-2011, 07:29 AM
:yes:

Thanks for the advice will have mechanic check brake pads. Someone else told me to have the universal joints checks saying that squeaky sounds from the front wheels walls early indication of failure of the universal joints.

jackal20
01-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the advice will have mechanic check brake pads. Someone else told me to have the universal joints checks saying that squeaky sounds from the front wheels walls early indication of failure of the universal joints.

It was the rear brakes according to the mechanic. My question how come the rear brakes make the squeaky sounds only while im driving?
Second is it true according to the mechanic almost all Honda's the rear brake pads wear out much faster than the front brake pads?

dmo069
01-29-2011, 03:39 PM
It was the rear brakes according to the mechanic. My question how come the rear brakes make the squeaky sounds only while im driving?
Second is it true according to the mechanic almost all Honda's the rear brake pads wear out much faster than the front brake pads?

The wear indicators are designed to make that noise only while not applying the brakes. This let's you know there is a problem that needs attending to now. If they made the noise only while applying the brakes, it's not as obvious or annoying and might not get your attention as quickly.

Yes, it's strange but true. I had to replace the rears at 45K but the front's were still good at 60K, but I replaced them anyway when I replaced my warped rotors.

Aviography
01-29-2011, 04:05 PM

The rear brake pads are smaller and thinner to start off with, it's not unusual for them to wear out sooner.

jackal20
01-29-2011, 07:13 PM
The rear brake pads are smaller and thinner to start off with, it's not unusual for them to wear out sooner.

Thanks for the answers it makes sense to me now why they would make the noise while I was driving because it did catch my attention. So I guess when the pads are wearing thin they will automatically rub against the rotar to warn the driver that something is wrong.

Aviography
01-29-2011, 08:08 PM
There is a spring metal tab riveted to the backing plate which will contact the brake rotor when the the pad wears thin, the squeaking sound is from this metal tab intermittently scraping the rotor very lightly.

Just don't do one of my former coworker did when he first heard this sound, he ignored it for a while then the sound went away because the metal tab eventually broke off, so he thought everything was OK.

The next time he heard a noise was when the backing plate gouged into the rotor......

jackal20
01-30-2011, 09:27 AM
There is a spring metal tab riveted to the backing plate which will contact the brake rotor when the the pad wears thin, the squeaking sound is from this metal tab intermittently scraping the rotor very lightly.

Just don't do one of my former coworker did when he first heard this sound, he ignored it for a while then the sound went away because the metal tab eventually broke off, so he thought everything was OK.

The next time he heard a noise was when the backing plate gouged into the rotor......

Yeah my friend told me he ignore for almost 2 months completely wiped out his brake pads and damaged the rotars/