Aftermarket alarm? [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Aftermarket alarm?

jayyurb
02-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Hey DA, I'm planning to buy an affordable aftermarket alarm for my 2008 accord. I have the factory remote start installed, is there a way for it to work even with an aftermarket alarm?

And which alarms (one or two way) do you guys prefer? I was looking at the viper 350hv. Thanks!

08coupex
02-08-2011, 05:03 AM
You will have to talk to the installer to find out if they can intergade your remote start into your alarm. It shouldnt be a problem and definitly a 2-way alarm.

GoLowDrew
02-08-2011, 06:41 AM
Yes you can. The "problem" would be if the guy wants to be nice and do it for free or charge you for it.

Let me share two examples:

1. 15+ years ago when Power locks were still not common on low line cars. The store wanted to charge me and said I need to pay for their power locks. My car already have PL, and the installer just did it for me. It made no sense for me to have two remote. Maybe 2 mins of labor.

2. 4 years ago, I asked if they can wire my alarm to the factory FOB because it had other OEM functions too. They said "Yes," but it'll cost you an additional $50. It would have been another 2 min job.

So the answer is Yes they can, and should not be hard at all. It's all about the money.

jayyurb
02-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Yes you can. The "problem" would be if the guy wants to be nice and do it for free or charge you for it.

Let me share two examples:

1. 15+ years ago when Power locks were still not common on low line cars. The store wanted to charge me and said I need to pay for their power locks. My car already have PL, and the installer just did it for me. It made no sense for me to have two remote. Maybe 2 mins of labor.

2. 4 years ago, I asked if they can wire my alarm to the factory FOB because it had other OEM functions too. They said "Yes," but it'll cost you an additional $50. It would have been another 2 min job.

So the answer is Yes they can, and should not be hard at all. It's all about the money.

Thanks for the input, I guess I just got to talk to different alarm shops and stuff.

jayyurb
02-08-2011, 12:54 PM
I heard they can integrate the OEM remote start to an aftermarket remote, has anyone done this?

froyo
02-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Yes you can have both. my '10 just got a viper 991 remote starter with arlarm 1 month ago. My stock key remote still work. It is just a separate system but both can work side by side.

GoLowDrew
02-08-2011, 01:55 PM
I heard they can integrate the OEM remote start to an aftermarket remote, has anyone done this?

Thinking about this, I think it's better to use the OEM remote to control your alarm. Like my $50 (#2)example above.

I believe the OEM remote starter must have some kind of code and stuff, which may not work with aftermarket. I've not kept up.

Since you are getting a "basic" alarm. It is much easier to wire a standard alarm using the factory FOB. The basic alarm are limited in features. And you shouldn't need to pay for an aftermarket remote starter to match (again, since you already got one installed.)

So your door locks, trunk, windows, and remote start will all still work.

jayyurb
02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Thinking about this, I think it's better to use the OEM remote to control your alarm. Like my $50 (#2)example above.

I believe the OEM remote starter must have some kind of code and stuff, which may not work with aftermarket. I've not kept up.

Since you are getting a "basic" alarm. It is much easier to wire a standard alarm using the factory FOB. The basic alarm are limited in features. And you shouldn't need to pay for an aftermarket remote starter to match (again, since you already got one installed.)

So your door locks, trunk, windows, and remote start will all still work.

Hmm the problem is I don't have the factory alarm in my car, they took it out for some bs reason. So basically I just have a factory remote start. I am planning to buy the Viper 5301 a 2-way with remote start. My friend said I could use the OEM factory remote start chip to put in the Viper remote and it could work still.

08coupex
02-09-2011, 05:17 AM
Go with the aftermarket remotes, the factory ones have a very limited range.

vi3t4lif393
02-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Go with the aftermarket remotes, the factory ones have a very limited range.

+1
I have the Clifford 50.7x Remote Start/Alarm 2-way and it works great.