interior light not coming on when door opened [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: interior light not coming on when door opened

N1Accord72
03-01-2011, 10:33 AM
I recently purchased a 2007 Accord and trying to resolve a few issues it has. The interior light overhead and beween the front and back seats will work when switched to the ON position but does not function when in the DOOR position and door is opened. I have small lights that are on each front door panel as well and when the door switch is pushed in and out to activate it, they go on and off, so the door switch seems to be working. Can anyone offer any help as to what I could check to fix this light? Someone told me that there should also be a chime that activates when the door is open (not sure if thats true or not) but I do not get a chime when the doors are opened. Also not sure if the map lights should activate when the doors are opened either, but they don't.

lordbird2000
03-01-2011, 11:17 AM
if u have the key in the ignition and acc off, you would hear the chime when the door is opened... as for the dome light, pull out the complete housing and check the slider to make sure its making contact, sometimes the bulb gets hot enough to melt the plastic and cause it to loose contact. thats the first thing id check.....good luck

N1Accord72
03-01-2011, 11:51 AM
will try that, thanks. I'll post when I get it pulled out.

N1Accord72
03-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Also, key in, ACC off, door open, NO Chime.

N1Accord72
03-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Chime works after all. Now if i could just get my light to work.

lordbird2000
03-02-2011, 10:45 AM
good to hear... now for the lights.......

gen_unknown_7.5
03-02-2011, 09:12 PM
if u have the key in the ignition and acc off, you would hear the chime when the door is opened... as for the dome light, pull out the complete housing and check the slider to make sure its making contact, sometimes the bulb gets hot enough to melt the plastic and cause it to loose contact. thats the first thing id check.....good luck

+1, Chime only works when the key is in the ignition turned to On, or when you have your headlights on, with key out. For the dome light, i would think something is wrong with the relay, from the door sensor to your dome light. also, I would change your interior lights to LEDs to prevent excessive heat build up. And the LED give off way better lighting :banana:

lordbird2000
03-03-2011, 07:56 PM
tottally agree with the led comment.... im switchin over soon enuff, getting tired of the strange buzzing noise coming from my domelight when it comes on

N1Accord72
03-19-2011, 09:57 AM
still having issues with my overhead light. The original one would come on when slid to ON but would not come on when in the DOOR position. I removed it and checked it out and thought maybe the contact was bad on the DOOR setting. I ordered a new light, installed it, and still doesn't work, so something is jacked up somewhere. The door contact switch in the doors work because the lower lights in both the driver and passenger door work when the switch is pushed in and out.
I took it to the dealer yesterday and while they were installing my rear spoiler, had them look at it. They said they couldn't find anything wrong and that they would need to remove my ECM to diagnose it and that it would be costly. I said NO THANKS. I think they were just trying to jack me around and make a bunch of money off of me. I don't believe it requires taking the ECM out but who knows.
Anyone here have any idea what I may can try? Someone has mentioned a relay? Anyone know if theres a relay I can check? Or someone else maybe had this issue in the past? Does anyone know if theres a seperate wire that goes from the door switch to the overhead light and the lights in the doors (since the door lights are working)? Crazy that the light works but will not when door is opened.

jagboy
03-19-2011, 10:29 AM
I had a similar issue when I had my accord, I posted a diy fix on v6performance :
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/7th-generation-honda-accord-2003-2007/201651-pin-out-overhead-console-plug-pic.html#post1781310

ntextreme3
03-19-2011, 11:00 AM
the map lights ground through a bolt thats behind the lights. I'm not sure if they ground on one or both sides (because ive never checked) but if its both, its possible that the one for the fader/door position is not tightened. check that if you haven't already. i would say fuses, etc as well, but there aren't any specifically for the fading/door function.. and you said it works when switched correct?...btw i just realized i was assuming the map lights when you said overhead.. did you mean map or dome?

N1Accord72
03-19-2011, 12:18 PM
btw i just realized i was assuming the map lights when you said overhead.. did you mean map or dome?

No, it's not the map lights, it's the dome light. Map lights do not come on when door is opened, only when pushed up to activate. My maps light work fine. Thanks

N1Accord72
03-19-2011, 12:29 PM
I had a similar issue when I had my accord, I posted a diy fix on v6performance :
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/7th-generation-honda-accord-2003-2007/201651-pin-out-overhead-console-plug-pic.html#post1781310

The light I'm referring to is not the map light, it's the dome (overhead light) between front and back seats. Map lights on my 07 do not activate with door opening, just the dome light does. Map lights (over rear view mirror) only come on when pushed up to activate and go off when pushed up again. I do appreciate you sending the the link anyway and trying to assist me.

ntextreme3
03-19-2011, 01:07 PM
You don't have a switch near your map lights? I thought they should come on with the door also (if the switch was set accordingly). I didn't think that changed over the years. Trace the wires back to where they originate there has to be some type of control unit if you don't have one in the maps.

cnisenbaum
03-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Both my map lights and the overhead light come on when I open my door. They both have switches too.

N1Accord72
03-19-2011, 10:37 PM
My map lights have no switch to slide. They are turned on by pushing the lens up either on the driver or passenger or both sides. They don't come on when door is opened either. I asked a few other people and I was told that the map lights aren't designed to activate when door is opened on my model, 2007 LX Sedan. Not sure, just going off what I was told. Either way, neither map nor dome light comes on when door is opened, so if both are suppose to come on, they don't. There has to be a sending unit or relay somewhere.
It's just aggravating that dealership jacked me around and wanted an arm and a leg to try to find problem. They were wanting to pull the ECM and charge me like a couple hundred dollars just to look. I find it hard to believe that a dealership has never encountered this kind of issue before and knows what to look for without telling customer "we have no idea whats wrong and all we know to do is pull ECM but thats gonna be costly for us just to look." It is what it is. I appreciate everyones input and assistance. I'll keep troubleshooting. I was hoping someone else may have had this issue before and knew what to look for.

lordbird2000
03-20-2011, 02:03 PM
thats a load of bull****, the interior lights dont go back to the ecm, theres a module under the dash called the multiplex control module, and it controls the ip cluster lights, dash lights, and interior lights, fade control and such. i had researched it when i was doing my interior accent leds. the dealer should b able to hookup their scanner and access the BCM thats most likey where they can diagnose the problem, other than that it could b a bad ground. hopefully this helps you out

N1Accord72
03-21-2011, 11:21 AM
thats a load of bull****, the interior lights dont go back to the ecm, theres a module under the dash called the multiplex control module, and it controls the ip cluster lights, dash lights, and interior lights, fade control and such. i had researched it when i was doing my interior accent leds. the dealer should b able to hookup their scanner and access the BCM thats most likey where they can diagnose the problem, other than that it could b a bad ground. hopefully this helps you out

Thanks lordbird, I knew I should have throw the bull**** flag but I refrained. I'll look into and research this multiplex control module and see what I can come up with.

N1Accord72
03-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Both my map lights and the overhead light come on when I open my door. They both have switches too.

Not sure, maybe it's because I have the 4 cylinder LX model and it doesn't have the more advanced light switch. Theres no switch on my map lights at all. The dome light does have a switch for ON OFF and DOOR. It works in ON position but nothing in DOOR position.

gen_unknown_7.5
03-21-2011, 09:50 PM
I believe only EX models have the switch for both the Map and Dome lights. The switch I believe is one similar to the Dome but with only DOOR or OFF. With the Map light there is also a small light that allows the driver/passenger to have ambient lighting at night.

Electrified22
03-07-2012, 04:57 AM
I have an '04 LX V6 that was doing the same thing. I tightened the mounting screws that hold the base to the car and the light started working. It uses the mounting screws to ground the light. Same case goes for the map lights.

Accord#2
05-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Hi. My 2007 Accord SE V6 just had the dome light stop working this evening.
- Both the left and right map lights work when I turn them on, but they do not come on when the door is opened.
- The dome light switch is set in the middle.
- Tomorrow ... when it's light I'll check the fuses.

gunshipgator
11-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Did anybody ever find anything further on this? I've got an '05 EX that has the same issue. Both lights good, and will come on when pressed, but do not come on when the car is shut off and doors opened. Thought I ensured the mounting screws were tight when I had the lenses out to check bulbs, but will re-check.

qjohn
11-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Check out this thread:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75937

greg1c
11-16-2013, 08:22 PM
That is the same issue I had on my 2005 Acura TSX, the map light switches are the issue, they switch between the body ground and the door switches, the contact on the switches go bad and need to be repaired. If you follow the instructions it will fix the issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

im_brandon
11-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Will this fix the door indicators not coming on/being recognized as open? I bought new door jamb switches and swapped them out with no luck.

2005 6mt
11-17-2013, 07:21 AM
I finally replaced the overhead map light unit. 35$ and 30 minutes later its a thing of the past.

greg1c
11-17-2013, 10:16 AM
I finally replaced the overhead map light unit. 35$ and 30 minutes later its a thing of the past.

To bad you can not just replace the switches as that is the only issue. To repair the switches is not hard, follow the previous post and save the $35.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Pilotuser
06-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Have 2007 pilot door lights quit first left then right. Removed covers and found unit uses only one bulb for both door and map lights. Map lights work. When door lights were working if you pushed the cover to turn on the map light the brightness increased. This suggest that when booth lights on it has a series resistor and the lamp switch shorts this resistor, thus higher brightness. Next step is to remove complete assembly, hope this theory is correct and resistors are on back

wrenchturner13
11-19-2014, 08:52 PM
I have the exact same problem with my interior lighting also they dont work with the remote, the rear started working then stopped. with the selector in door or not they only work if you manual push them on. is there a relay & where is it located? please help me with this issue

LifeAquatic
11-20-2014, 04:28 PM
I have a 2005 Accord LX SE. Only my dome comes on when I open the door. When I close the door the dome and instruments stay on for about 30 seconds then fade.

Am I wrong in believing that the fading function doesn't play well with LED bulbs? Or am I thinking about fluorescent bulbs. I may be high...

LifeAquatic
11-20-2014, 04:35 PM
I am high. I just saw that this post originated in 2011.