Outside Temperature Gauge [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Outside Temperature Gauge

2003EXV6
12-29-2003, 10:26 PM
On my 2003 EXV6, I've noticed that the outside temp. gauge is not very accurate. It usally 3 degrees C. too high. I'm comparing it to my other vehicle. Nissan Pathfinder, that guage is spot on compared with what the radio stations say the outside temp. is. Is my sensor mounted wrong? What have other Accord owners noticed and can this be adjusted to read more accurately?

princess
12-31-2003, 06:52 PM
According to the manual heat reflecting off the road can make it read wrong, as can going slower than 19 mph/30km/h, & temps below freezing. Our Pilot is a bit more accurate than the Accord, but it's just for us people that always use the auto climate control, so we don't freeze our behinds off ( or melt ) when we get out of the car. We can look & see that it's not as comfy outside as we're feeling inside! I'll look on Honda site & see if they have a acceptable accuracy range....:)

princess
12-31-2003, 07:03 PM
They say it's supposed to be about + or - 3 degrees. The coolant temp needs to be exactly 139 degrees when they do a calibration. Does this help??

Ganz
01-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Mine is always 4 degrees F too high.

dmparker
01-08-2004, 07:13 AM
The outside temp sensor can be adjusted +/- 3 degrees F.

There is a procedure outlined in the Honda service manual.

Hope this helps.

2003EXV6
01-08-2004, 07:39 AM
I'm nearing my first service. I'll bring it in to the dealer and keep everyone posted to see how accurate they can get the reading. Thanks for the help everyone.

CatchMe
01-12-2004, 06:11 PM
yep, mine does the same damn thing. Always plus 2 deg.

davemac
01-31-2004, 03:55 AM
my father had been complaining about this, as his 04 temp gauge was about 6 degrees high (the one on my Pilot is within a couple degrees). He complained enough that the dealer finally replaced it (relatively cheap part, but tough to access). Well, now the new one is closer to 10 degrees high- which is even more annoying. He was showing 40 degrees the other day, and the actual temperature here in MA hasn't even approached freezing in four weeks.
Any additional info on the previous mentioned (+/- 3 degree) adjustment?
Also, I'm assuming that the outside temp gauge is NOT linked to the climate control. Am I correct?

princess
01-31-2004, 09:07 AM
Yes it is linked, so the heater or A/C won't blow out high if it will feeze you out more. There's a cabin sensor for the climate control & they do talk to each other.

The outside gauge checks too infrequently for my driving. (errands) & it reads the garage temp for quite a while. I have been at my 3rd store before I get it to read the outside temp, then when parked the engine heat warms it up! It's only meant to be close at 19 mph, on a day that's not too sunny & not too damp.

You're right the Pilot's seems to better located. Perhaps it's the height of it that helps. ?? It also seems to take a reading more often.

There have been several times that mine reads 55 degrees on a 40 degree day because that's what it was in the garage. Annoying? yes! It seems to work better in warm weather, when we bought it in August it was pretty much right on. So my assumption is that it's location is effected by the temps of the road suface & the engine more than they'd planned.

I printed out the "instructions" for checking it a couple of weeks ago & it passed when using a second source for reading the temp where it was parked.

It adjusts at a rate of about 1 degree per minute! (too slow for me!) If the first start of the day involves a cold engine it will have a new check for the outside temp. If it's warm it uses the last reading from before.

On freeway trips our's seems to be dead on!

If I find out anything is discovered about adjustments I'll pass it on!:)

dmparker
01-31-2004, 04:04 PM
OK, OK I should have told you how to adjust the outside temp. gauge. Sorry!!

Here goes:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

2. Push and hold the reset select button (the one for trip odometer resets and dash light brightness) for 10 seconds. While you continue to hold the button the display will scroll through temperature settings from +3 to -3 degress as follows, 0, 1, 2, 3, -3, -2, -1, and repeat.

3. When the desired correction value appears on the display, release the button, and the recalibrated outside air temp. will be displayed.

That is all there is to it. Hope this helps -- although sounds like some of you need more than +- 3 degrees.

Don Parker

princess
02-02-2004, 08:11 AM
Kewl! Thanks! I have it in the book, just haven't taken the time to look it up.

Do remember to check the temp against another source first! Like us, you may discover that it's not off, just slow to change!:)

Bean
02-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Mine was pretty accurate from the factory.
Of course, it's always in the high end of the scale down here.
But when we went up North this Christmas, the temp. displayed changed into a bunch of exclamation points, kinda like this ( !!!!).

Guess she wasn't used to the Non-FL weather.

princess
02-02-2004, 09:26 AM
You must have found the minimum!

The Pilot still was reading fine at 24 degrees on our snow trip. The Accord has read 107 down south on our way to Disneyland. We were comfy inside until we stopped. We left the car running & took turns using the tinklerooms! That wasn't an option at lunch & it cooled off fairly quick. We don't eat in our cars! Just never got into the habit even before the new ones.

:)

BenjiBoy650
02-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Kinda pointless for Honda to put !!! at low temps. They should just put ice to warn the driver, as GM vehicles do.

2003EXV6
02-03-2004, 08:06 AM
Thanks DM, I've just adjusted the temperature setting this morning on my into work. I'll monitor the reading to see how accurate it stays. For you guys that need to adjust the setting more than the +/- 3 degrees it allows, you can do this adjustment as many times as you need to get down or up to the correct setting. By the way, my Pathfinder also has an "ice" warning feature on the gauge as well. It's a pretty neat feature.

Bean
02-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Ummm... guys... (and you too P)....

It was a joke.

*Taps microphone* Is this thing on? :confused:

princess
02-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Caught again!

:blush:

Seriously, how cold was it on your trip??

I really don't pay a lot of attention to the outside temp gauge. I figure I don't need the car to tell me when I need to put a coat on! Normally that decsion was made before I got in it.

In the Summer I glance to remind myself how much of wall of heat I'll encounter when I get out because the A/C does it's job so well!!:D

Bean, we miss your humor! It's nice to see you around again. I take it you have time to breathe now!

2003EXV6
02-08-2004, 05:11 PM
A big thank you to Don!!! His post was great, on how to adjust the outside temparature guage. Now there should be no more complaining about wrong readings. Mines been spot on since I've made the adjustment.

thethird
12-06-2005, 05:57 AM
I just registered and I'm already thankful. This site rocks! Awesome DM, thanks for the insight. I think I'm running 4-5 degrees F higher, but 3 is at least a start to see how things go. From another thread strand, it sounds like you can adjust again once the gauge is recalibrated...correct?

Thanks again and it's nice to be on board here.

06coupe
12-07-2005, 04:25 AM
While we're on the subject...Do our outside temp gauges read below zero?

I was driving into work this morning and it remained at 0, never went to -1. I was just curious if that was accurate, or if 0 is as cold as it reads. Chicago winters blow!

LiAccord
09-12-2006, 05:10 PM
DM, Thank you. The outside temp gauge on my 03 Accord has always read 5 degrees to warm. The dealer has replaced the sensor under warranty and it still read about 5 degrees to warm. Your directions have been a big help especially when the below freezing days come which will be soon enough.

Regards,
Lionel

lee0073
09-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Had an outside temperature gauge installed as an option. The temperature gauge never worked properly. Eg. Temp gauge read 15*C while the actual outside temp was over 30*C.

Dealership replaced the the head unit and still experienced the same problem. Dealership could not find any documentation on this problem so they called Honda for assistance.

Honda told the dealership, they had to initialize temperature gauge to get it working. Temperature gauge seems to be working better, now. However I have not driven by any billboards displaying outside temperature to confirm the accuracy of the temp gauge.

LiAccord
10-07-2006, 05:33 PM

Here goes:

2. Push and hold the reset select button (the one for trip odometer resets and dash light brightness) for 10 seconds. While you continue to hold the button the display will scroll through temperature settings from +3 to -3 degress as follows, 0, 1, 2, 3, -3, -2, -1, and repeat.

3. When the desired correction value appears on the display, release the button, and the recalibrated outside air temp. will be displayed.

That is all there is to it. Hope this helps -- although sounds like some of you need more than +- 3 degrees.

Don Parker
I tried this adjustment. When I hold the reset button the display goes through the -3,-2,-1, 3,2,1 I release at -3 but my outsie temp stays the same. Can you give me some guidance?

willis
08-08-2010, 07:37 PM

Here goes:

Don Parker

I made the manual adjustment too and tha AC did work better but the temperature reading still gets "stuck" It read 101 this evening for the hour or so we were out while the outside was around 95. I have an appointment Thursday for the dealer to look at it. Thanks everyone for the information

BLCKFLSH
08-08-2010, 09:19 PM
I see the temp guage as totally useless. What do you need it for? Just another gadget adding to the price of my car, that I didn't need or want.

princess
08-10-2010, 08:24 AM
I LOVE the outside temp gauge!! Especially on trips! The inside is at whatever we set it to and it's nice to know if it's 100 outside or just in the 80s. That unexpected wall of heat can be nasty!!

I don't need it exact.... but within a couple degrees. It's not meant as a weather item, just a nice feature.

They are NEVER accurate sitting still. We'd laugh about how when parked it would do the "feels like" temp instead of the real temp. That was helpful in TX! Once rolling it was pretty much the same as the banks & whatever ones we passed. Once moving it checks it every couple of minutes & can be kinda slow.

jeffislouie
08-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Oh man, I'm wiped out.
I spent the last 3 hours installing my ipod/aux in that charges the ipod and trying to install the outside temp gauge I got off ebay from mechanicsville Honda. The fun twist is that I got to step 22 - the part where you are supposed to plug the harness into the control unit - and discovered that I don't have the control unit.
I emailed the seller and am hoping they take care of me by sending me what's missing. I haven't been able to find just the control unit, so if they don't find me one, I'm going to lose my mind.
The good news is that I can tell you that the temperature in my garage is sweltering - I've managed to sweat through both my shirt AND my pants. Sexy. I'm going to bed now. I have to get up before work and put my lower dash back together....

jeffislouie
08-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Just to update, Phil from Mechanicsville Honda in VA. and I spoke. He apologized and is sending me the control unit.....

hillstones
08-12-2010, 07:13 PM
However I have not driven by any billboards displaying outside temperature to confirm the accuracy of the temp gauge.

Billboards are not accurate either. You don't know where those temp sensors are located. They could be in direct sunlight, producing a higher result, or in the shade, producing a lower result.

If your car has been sitting outside, it can read hotter than normal on a hot day, and colder than normal on a cold day. After you have been driving around for awhile, it should produce a more accurate temp reading, give or take a few degrees.

hillstones
08-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I see the temp guage as totally useless. What do you need it for? Just another gadget adding to the price of my car, that I didn't need or want.

As an accessory add-on, it is just for knowledge. Since you have an EX V6, it is necessary for proper operation of your auto climate control. So you may think it is useless, but your HVAC system doesn't think so.

RinconVTR
08-13-2010, 05:42 AM
I really don't pay a lot of attention to the outside temp gauge. I figure I don't need the car to tell me when I need to put a coat on! Normally that decsion was made before I got in it.

In the Summer I glance to remind myself how much of wall of heat I'll encounter when I get out because the A/C does it's job so well!!:D

Funny you mention this...same here! Although I would like to add the #1 reason I added it. Mixed winter driving. For me, its very helpful to know when I should be aware of possible freezing temps leading to ice on the road.