Trans fluid changed - car still jerks when coasting to stop [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Trans fluid changed - car still jerks when coasting to stop

liquidskin
03-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi guys,

Recently aquired an automatic 2005 V6 with 89k. I noticed that when coasting to a stop, the downshift is felt pretty well. I changed the fluid, which was very dark and had a bunch of gunk on the magnet. Did a 4x drain and fill, but the car still jerks when coasting. No issues so far with upshifting, but Im worried and dont want to be looking at having to replace the trans. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

SatinSilver
03-29-2011, 08:38 AM
Try some LubeGuard Red. It's the only supplement that one of the guru's on here recommends for them. :thmsup:

liquidskin
03-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Try some LubeGuard Red. It's the only supplement that one of the guru's on here recommends for them. :thmsup:

An easy, cheap solution.. I like it! Is it possible this could really cure the symptom?

SatinSilver
03-29-2011, 09:34 AM
An easy, cheap solution.. I like it! Is it possible this could really cure the symptom?

It's possible but certainly not a guarantee. You can find the stuff on Amazon. Worth a shot! :thmsup:

nuron
03-29-2011, 12:26 PM
If the LubeGuard Red doesn't work, look into replacing your 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches and using a trans fluid without friction modifiers (FM) like Redline Racing ATF. From my understanding, Honda's Z1 fluid has FM to make shifts smoother but ends up killing the trans later on.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729149

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807045

Grohe
03-29-2011, 01:22 PM
If the LubeGuard Red doesn't work, look into replacing your 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches and using a trans fluid without friction modifiers (FM) like Redline Racing ATF. From my understanding, Honda's Z1 fluid has FM to make shifts smoother but ends up killing the trans later on.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729149

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807045

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Switches will cure the bump into gear. Fluid will cure a 1-2 shudder.

Originally Posted by dc5k20z1
the 3rd and 4th switches right?

Yes sir. When you go from park or neutral to drive, the transmission engages 3rd gear and then first gear. This reduces that jerk you feel when shifting into gear. When the switch values start to change, the trans stays in 3rd too long and you can feel the double bump of it going from 3rd to 1st. Normally it's so quick you don't feel it.

Originally Posted by VQPower37
IHC, just wondering why does the tranny shift first to 3 then to 1?

3rd has less leverage on the wheels so when you go from no load (park) to third and it applies power to the wheels, you don't get a jerk. Once the power is applied it can go down to first and you don't feel it. Same thing if you started off in third in a manual, you would have no acceleration but you also wouldn't have to worry about it snapping your head back.

Interesting. Mine has been doing the same thing (06 V6 Accord), and was fearing the trans was starting to go. Has anyone ever changed the 3rd & 4th gear switches on a 7th Gen V6 accord?

thisaznboi88
03-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Do the redline ATF. I just help my roommate change out 9qt 3 x3 this weekend. Best 100 bucks he ever spent.

07AccordEx-L
03-29-2011, 06:26 PM
You might have that confused with grade logic control. When I coasted to stops in my AT accord, it did the same. Grade logic control is engine braking for you when you coast.

Ilovemy06VtecV6
03-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Hi guys,

Recently aquired an automatic 2005 V6 with 89k. I noticed that when coasting to a stop, the downshift is felt pretty well. I changed the fluid, which was very dark and had a bunch of gunk on the magnet. Did a 4x drain and fill, but the car still jerks when coasting. No issues so far with upshifting, but Im worried and dont want to be looking at having to replace the trans. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Your tranny is a ticking time bomb. I should know, I have a 2006 V6. I would try the new Honda DW1 ATF fluid first before jumping to non-honda fluid like the Redline. I got DW1 fluid on mine by way of blown tranny and it softened up those rough downshifts.

07AccordEx-L
03-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Honda transmission fluids have proven to be incompetent for smooth shifting. I've experienced redline on my buddy's MT and it shifts like butter. No notchiness whatsoever. It won't hurt his transmission to use redline. And If i'm right, Honda transmission fluids are just rebadges like the oil too.

rszappa1
03-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Redline D4 is the only way to go....

paperboy42190
03-29-2011, 09:54 PM
i use redline racing type F fluid. but redline D4 is good too.

Ilovemyvtx
03-29-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm just going to add a +1 to honda fluid is trash...lol I would use a good synthetic like they are recommending.

liquidskin
03-30-2011, 05:34 AM
You might have that confused with grade logic control. When I coasted to stops in my AT accord, it did the same. Grade logic control is engine braking for you when you coast.

Any way to prove whether this is what's doing it? All that's apparent to me is that once the MPH goes down, the tachometer jumps for a second and then I feel the jerk.

Wish I knew that redline was the way to go before doing the Z1 flush, doh.

devi0us
03-30-2011, 07:12 AM
Mines has been doing this for about a year too. When the tranny shifts from 2 to 1, there's a harsh kick or jerk that can be felt.

I've changed the transmission fluid 5 times with Z1 since buying the car in late 08 at 38,000 miles. It hasn't helped, so I'm going to switch to Redline D4 later this Spring.

There have been other threads about this in the past.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45429&highlight=shift+jerk

That thread basically said the jerkiness is indication of wear/transmission failure and that the best we can do is slow it down.

liquidskin
03-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Mines has been doing this for about a year too. When the tranny shifts from 2 to 1, there's a harsh kick or jerk that can be felt.

I've changed the transmission fluid 5 times with Z1 since buying the car in late 08 at 38,000 miles. It hasn't helped, so I'm going to switch to Redline D4 later this Spring.

That thread basically said the jerkiness is indication of wear/transmission failure and that the best we can do is slow it down.

Did you try LubeGard as suggested in this thread? Debating whether or not to pick it up today...

Ilovemy06VtecV6
03-30-2011, 07:29 AM

That thread basically said the jerkiness is indication of wear/transmission failure and that the best we can do is slow it down.]

well then my 06 tranny was garbage from the factory/dealer. :lmao:
sad but true. makes sense though since tranny failed at less then 95k!!

OP: get on DW1 immediately or redline. like i said, the rough downshifts were softened with dw1 but I got a REMANUF tranny too. you might want to jump on redline??

devi0us
03-30-2011, 07:36 AM
I haven't, though I had a 95 Civic is harsh shifting problems and Lubeguard did help.

When I have $122 + shipping I'll order a case of 12 quarts of Redline D4 from Amazon and hope that it'll alleviate the issue somewhat. I'm gonna place my hopes on fully synthetic fluid with less friction modifiers than Z1.

slotlessman
03-30-2011, 02:38 PM
I haven't, though I had a 95 Civic is harsh shifting problems and Lubeguard did help.

When I have $122 + shipping I'll order a case of 12 quarts of Redline D4 from Amazon and hope that it'll alleviate the issue somewhat. I'm gonna place my hopes on fully synthetic fluid with less friction modifiers than Z1.

Just to clarify, I am pretty sure that $122 deal includes free shipping. Good price imo.

devi0us
03-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Ahh I see. What gets me is that IS a good price. I can't believe it's twice the price of Z1 AND the new fully synthetic DW1. I'm really hoping to read something fantastic about DW1, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

07AccordEx-L
03-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Any way to prove whether this is what's doing it? All that's apparent to me is that once the MPH goes down, the tachometer jumps for a second and then I feel the jerk.

Wish I knew that redline was the way to go before doing the Z1 flush, doh.

Only way for me to prove it 100% is for me to have a ride in your car. Given your description, I am 99% sure. I used to coast a lot to save gas and as I was goin slower, it jerked because the engine was downshifting. Are you a 4cyl or 6cyl? If you are a 4cyl, you 100% have nothing to worry about unless you have been downshifting and redlining in d3 or d2.

liquidskin
03-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Only way for me to prove it 100% is for me to have a ride in your car. Given your description, I am 99% sure. I used to coast a lot to save gas and as I was goin slower, it jerked because the engine was downshifting. Are you a 4cyl or 6cyl? If you are a 4cyl, you 100% have nothing to worry about unless you have been downshifting and redlining in d3 or d2.

Interesting and reassuring... I've got a 6 cylinder,is this still a possible reason for the behavior? The jerk is definitely apparent during my gas saving coasting into lights.

07AccordEx-L
03-30-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm sorry I didn't mean engine downshifting, I mean engine braking.
Besides the jerks while coasting, does the tranny shift normal while accelerating? And how often have you changed your tranny fluid?

liquidskin
03-30-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm sorry I didn't mean engine downshifting, I mean engine braking.
Besides the jerks while coasting, does the tranny shift normal while accelerating? And how often have you changed your tranny fluid?

Yep, no other shifting problems. Bought the car recently with about 80k and changed it for what was likely the first time. The oil was very dark...