Help! The D4 indicator out on 2000 SE [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Help! The D4 indicator out on 2000 SE

minstrel614
06-03-2006, 08:25 PM
My wife usually drives the 00 Accord SE but today I drove it and noticed that the "D4" indicator light on the dash is out. All the other gear indicator lights seem to work fine from D1, D2, to R, and P. So is this just a light bulb that has to be replaced? Can I do it myself?

I read somewhere that a flashing D4 indicator means transmission problems (I think from the tranny recall notice sent by Honda). So could this be the dreadful tranny failure (this car is under the 2000 tranny recall)?

BenjiBoy650
06-03-2006, 08:33 PM
It's just a bulb, common problem. You can replace the bulb yourself...princess should have instructions on those.

minstrel614
06-03-2006, 09:32 PM
It's just a bulb, common problem. You can replace the bulb yourself...princess should have instructions on those.
Whew! Thanks! I'll just wait for the instructions from princess.

minstrel614
06-06-2006, 11:15 AM
I think I've got a bigger (probably tranny) problem. Today I got the bulb and took out the instrument panel. However, I found that all of the gear indicators were lighted by a single bulb! So the D4 indicator out is most likely not a light bulb problem. Most likely some kind of a sensor in the transmission is not detecting or sending the proper signal ...

Well, the transmission is on the extended warranty. So I hope this problem can be covered by the warranty... I'll have to take it to the dealer

stiller fan
06-06-2006, 11:44 AM
if the tranny is shifting normally, it could be a loose wire where the gearshift is, cause the D4 light not to light up on the cluster.....

SSMV6
06-06-2006, 12:14 PM
I think I've got a bigger (probably tranny) problem. Today I got the bulb and took out the instrument panel. However, I found that all of the gear indicators were lighted by a single bulb! So the D4 indicator out is most likely not a light bulb problem. Most likely some kind of a sensor in the transmission is not detecting or sending the proper signal ...

Well, the transmission is on the extended warranty. So I hope this problem can be covered by the warranty... I'll have to take it to the dealer
Are you sure you're looking at the right area behind the instrument panel? There should be a separate bulb for each of the gear indicators (P,R,N,D4,D3,2,L). They're lined up in a row. If you didn't get the bulb already, you could swap the D4 (burnt out bulb) with the "L" bulb since it's so rarely used.

minstrel614
06-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Are you sure you're looking at the right area behind the instrument panel? There should be a separate bulb for each of the gear indicators (P,R,N,D4,D3,2,L). They're lined up in a row. If you didn't get the bulb already, you could swap the D4 (burnt out bulb) with the "L" bulb since it's so rarely used.

That's what I thought too. I googled on how to replace D4 light and found that Acura TL 97 had this problem. A lot of the D4 went out after 6 years... But once I got the instrument panel out, I found there there is only 1 light bulb in that general area. I could see different light bulbs for the SRS, brake, etc., but the gear indicators are located between the fuel and temp gauges, right? There is only 1 bulb there... :dunno: I didn't have my camera ready so wasn't able to take pictures.

It was relatively easy to take out the instrument panel, 6 screws and some clips. 15 minutes work.

SSMV6
06-07-2006, 07:41 PM
From looking at the online parts pictures, it looks like you didn't go far enough when you're taking apart your guage cluster. It looks like you have to remove the circuit board that holds the bulb sockets for the SRS, ABS, etc before you can access the set of bulbs for the PRND lights.

minstrel614
06-08-2006, 03:45 PM
From looking at the online parts pictures, it looks like you didn't go far enough when you're taking apart your guage cluster. It looks like you have to remove the circuit board that holds the bulb sockets for the SRS, ABS, etc before you can access the set of bulbs for the PRND lights.

Wow! You are so right! This morning I talked to the dealer service department and they told me there was definitely 7 bulbs for the gear indicators. The dealer service rep. told me it was going to cost 105 for the labor and suggested I do it myself... He was nice but couldn't get the schematic to show or print. Then I suspected I didn't go far enough like you said, so I fumbled with the instrument panel and almost complete disassembled it... I didn't know how to remove the circuit board (I wasn't even sure if it was removable)... then I figured out how to remove the circuit board: there is a white plastic clip and 8 little metal clips that each pair attaches a gauge to the circuit board... so finally I was able to get to the gear indicator bulbs... Now it is finally fixed.

I noticed that some of the other bulbs were about to expire too. Can you tell where you find the diagram? I'd like to know if I can order more of those bulbs (some were marked T5-black, some T7-blue, and T10-Black).

minstrel614
06-08-2006, 03:52 PM
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94039

"The staggered row of lights near the center is what you are aiming for. The D4 light is the fourth one up from the bottom (1,2,D3,D4,N,R,P respectively). The light twists about a quarter turn, then pulls straight out. Just drop yours in and twist it so it is lined up like the other ones, you can see where the wiring of the light has to touch the back of the cluster."

I was mislead by the description and thought I didn't have to take the circuit board out. But it appears that the older design (on '97 Acura TL) was more user-friendly when it comes to replacing the gear indicator bulbs... I was really afraid of breaking something and hesitated to use the flat head screw driver on the circuit board.

BenjiBoy650
06-08-2006, 03:54 PM
I noticed that some of the other bulbs were about to expire too. Can you tell where you find the diagram? I'd like to know if I can order more of those bulbs (some were marked T5-black, some T7-blue, and T10-Black).
Look in the 7th gen FAQ, there's a section for OEM parts for all Honda :thmsup:

WolfpackBill
06-08-2006, 04:05 PM
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94039

"The staggered row of lights near the center is what you are aiming for. The D4 light is the fourth one up from the bottom (1,2,D3,D4,N,R,P respectively). The light twists about a quarter turn, then pulls straight out. Just drop yours in and twist it so it is lined up like the other ones, you can see where the wiring of the light has to touch the back of the cluster."

I was mislead by the description and thought I didn't have to take the circuit board out. But it appears that the older design (on '97 Acura TL) was more user-friendly when it comes to replacing the gear indicator bulbs... I was really afraid of breaking something and hesitated to use the flat head screw driver on the circuit board.

Haha...I posted in that thread about the same problem with my 3.2TL. That generation model is notorious for having a burnt out D4 light. What I did was instead of buying a new bulb, I took the "1" gear light and swapped it with the D4 light. My logic is that I never use "1" gear anyways since it's an automatic so I used that bulb instead of spending $5 for a light bulb.

minstrel614
06-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Haha...I posted in that thread about the same problem with my 3.2TL. That generation model is notorious for having a burnt out D4 light. What I did was instead of buying a new bulb, I took the "1" gear light and swapped it with the D4 light. My logic is that I never use "1" gear anyways since it's an automatic so I used that bulb instead of spending $5 for a light bulb.

That's smart move!