Slight oil leak inside distributor? [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Slight oil leak inside distributor?

Bruce Hawkins
01-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Hi,

I just replaced my cap and rotor, and there was a (possible) slight oil leak inside distributor? there was some oil residue on the inside of the cap, and some inside the distributor.

Is the o-ring found in between the head and distributor a likely suspect, or???
I have 210K on the car...

Bruce

nehonda
01-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Hi,

I just replaced my cap and rotor, and there was a (possible) slight oil leak inside distributor? there was some oil residue on the inside of the cap, and some inside the distributor.

Bruce

Not if the oil is inside the distributor. The obvious external o-ring keeps oil from leaking around the outside of the distributor. There is another seal/o-ring inside the distributor housing that keeps oil from leaking around the shaft to the inside. Unfortnately Honda does not consider it a repairable item and recommends replacing the whole distributor body.
I think others have disassembled the body by removing the gear and fix it used a generic seal. I have not done this on a 6th gen but did fix my 87 distributor in that manner.
If the amount of oil is minimal, I wouldnt worry about it. It wont hurt anything unless so much oil gets inside it starts misfiring.

Bruce Hawkins
01-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Not if the oil is inside the distributor. The obvious external o-ring keeps oil from leaking around the outside of the distributor. There is another seal/o-ring inside the distributor housing that keeps oil from leaking around the shaft to the inside. Unfortnately Honda does not consider it a repairable item and recommends replacing the whole distributor body.
I think others have disassembled the body by removing the gear and fix it used a generic seal. I have not done this on a 6th gen but did fix my 87 distributor in that manner.
If the amount of oil is minimal, I wouldnt worry about it. It wont hurt anything unless so much oil gets inside it starts misfiring.
There is a drain hole at the bottom. I dont know if it got in that way or the slight oil I see on the outside is from the inside?
Like you said, I'll keep an eye on it. I cleaned the leak residue from inside, and I plan to do the same on the outside too.
Thanks for the input

Zero
01-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Hi,

Bruce

Bruce, I have the same problem. Replaced the o-ring that goes between the distributor and the engine. The inside one is also leaking. I think I'll buy a new one from e-bay. What do you intend to do with yours?

Peace.

Bruce Hawkins
01-25-2012, 08:04 PM
I plan wait, and see.
If it starts to leak more, find the cheapest OEM source part, or something, NOT from ebay (low quality). NAPA, or??? Any suggestions what is BETTER than the Honda part?

Once I get it off my car, see if I can repair it, and keep it as a back up part. I'm planning on 400-500,000 miles on my car (I'm at 210K now)...

danbudy
11-29-2012, 06:08 PM
I have a 2000 accord with 236k on it and a more than acceptable amount of oil inside. It was also leaking outside, so I changed the external o ring. Talk about hard rubber, it was way past it's prime...

If it requires a new distributor, then I'll just wait for it to fail...

Thanks, Dan.

danbudy
11-29-2012, 06:55 PM
I was thinking of buying a new distributor housing, but was cautious about buying it. I was told by a parts guy that the oil leak may be caused by engine blow by due to the wear that comes from getting the 237k miles on it. Although due to the regular maintenance that it has received since it was very young 36k, I doubt that the rings or any other important part is worn excessively.

I was looking for some thoughts on this, and if anyone has an experienced based opinion on it.

Thanks, Dan.

nehonda
11-30-2012, 04:31 AM
If you have excessive blowby your throttle body will show the effects and need frequent cleaning, since blowby will be forced thru the PVC system (both lines). If the PVC valve has never been replaced, it could be part of the problem.

danbudy
11-30-2012, 05:19 PM
I pulled the intake air tube off of the throttle body and opened the throttle. Inside the throttle body is a thin layer of soot. It is slightly damp, but not really enough to call oil. At least not "loose oil." It is more like what you get when you have coated something with WD40, and the film is left on it.

What I am not sure of is how much of soot and oil is normal, or should it be clean and dry.

I am not sure, it has had 236k to get there. ;)

The pcv valve has been previously replaced maybe six months ago. It is clear and working and clear. There was not, that I could tell, oil in the hose from the pcv valve. I took it off, shined a flashlight and looked in it.

Is damp to much oil, or do you expect a certain amount?

Thanks for your help, Dan.

danbudy
11-30-2012, 05:27 PM
I did find a replacement inner seal for the distributor, by reading a few forum posts. I have ordered it from partstrain.com and am planning on replacing it once it arrives. But I am really questioning whether or not it will even make a difference. But for $20 dollars we will know pretty soon...

nehonda
12-01-2012, 05:53 AM
What I am not sure of is how much of soot and oil is normal, or should it be clean and dry.

A small amount of soot and oil in the throttle body is normal. With a fairly new PVC valve you should be fine.

DJR
12-01-2012, 09:36 AM
I have replaced the o-ring on the outside, and I am STILL leaking oil out of it. Not sure why.

danbudy
12-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Pull your distributor cap off and look inside the distributor. If it has oil inside, then it is the inner seal leaking. If so, then you will need to order and replace that seal, I believe.

I am waiting for the seal to arrive. When it comes in I will let ya know whether or not it helped. Although it may be several weeks of driving before it has enough time to prove out.

Dan.

danbudy
12-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the reassurance nehonda. I am pretty sure now that the internal distributor seal is bad, hard or worn and my engine does not have a lot of blow-by.

Bruce Hawkins
12-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Is the internal seal replaceable?
What was the outcome, of replacing the seal?

danbudy
12-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes, I have found several Honda Forums with write ups of step by step instructions.
The Part is Made by NOK part# BH3888--E0 purchased through partstrain.com.
I am going to install it tomorrow night, when I arrive home, if all goes to plan ;)

I'll let ya know.
Dan.

danbudy
12-06-2012, 06:53 PM
No, the distributor seals on our gen accords are not serviceable. I took it apart tonight and found the shaft collar(that's what I'll call it) to be pressed on. There was not a way to remove it like I had saw in the guide.

Lesson learned, it was for the older engines. Now the only other option is Majestic Honda and the $165 dollar housing.

Dan.