2013 Accord stereo system quality [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: 2013 Accord stereo system quality

kbrunsting
10-01-2012, 05:31 PM
I took a test drive in the sport model and wasn't that impressed with the quality of the stereo system.... I know the EX model has a 6 speaker version, but is the quality of those speakers any better?

longhorn
10-01-2012, 06:14 PM
You got four speakers with small magnets to save weight and money that are full range with maybe a whizzer cone. Honda says its 160 watts into four channels, but you don't know at what frequency they took their measurements, so it probably more like 80 watts (20watts per channel) and don't forget the ANC is on,so those little speakers are already working.

Oh,and I imagine the audio budget for the 9th gen project was reduced to make room for the standard rear view camera (and other doodads that are now standard on the Accord). Something gotta give.

Solution. Go down to your local reputable car audio shop and have put some efficient aftermarket coax speakers and your system will sound much better than the 360 watt, 7 speaker rig that comes in the EX-L and Touring. If customers complain enough about the audio it will upgraded at the MMC. Honda upgraded the audio on Pilots at its MMC due to complaints.

The sport is an awesome car, see one in the Hermatite color.

dfdryer
10-03-2012, 09:24 AM
My wife just bought the 2013 honda accord EX-L...the only complaint we have with the car is the stereo does not sound very good compared to her 2003 honda accord EX-L...

It sounds very "tinny" if that is a word....we tried adjusting the treble and bass the noise cancelation level but still does not sound anywhere near as good as the 2003

but overall it is a great car ...happy with the purchase

mitchflorida
10-03-2012, 01:45 PM
My wife just bought the 2013 honda accord EX-L...the only complaint we have with the car is the stereo does not sound very good compared to her 2003 honda accord EX-L...

It sounds very "tinny" if that is a word....we tried adjusting the treble and bass the noise cancelation level but still does not sound anywhere near as good as the 2003

Probably best to invest in some better speakers and possibly an amp with subwoofer. The original head unit is fine. I did that with my accord when I got it new and it is worth it if you really care about music sound and spend lots of time in the car.

devi0us
10-03-2012, 03:03 PM

That's very disappointing to hear! I know it's not the best, but I love the speaker system in my 2003 EX-L and it's still going strong nearly 10 years later.

FlipAccord13
10-03-2012, 03:14 PM
I hope there is a software update for the audio. No way can a 340 watt "Premium" audio system sound so crappy!:thumbsdow

kbrunsting
10-03-2012, 04:24 PM
it would be disappointing that as soon as I bought a new car, I'd have to go in and have the speakers replaced.... I'm going to go try out the EX model to see if the additional 2 speakers provide enough benefit to stay with the stock speakers.

I don't spend a lot of time in a car, but I do appreciate a decent sounding stereo system... I always have music playing.

II Kings 9:20
10-03-2012, 08:33 PM
I have a '13 Ex-L and find the stereo great on CD/MP3, bluetooth.
Better than my 12 MDX at $46K.

FM is worthless for all but talk on all cars

Good XM which claims to have CD quality, it's not as good as CD. This is true for any XM I have ever had-ACURA, BMW, or Honda).

molson.david
10-03-2012, 09:22 PM
it would be disappointing that as soon as I bought a new car, I'd have to go in and have the speakers replaced.... I'm going to go try out the EX model to see if the additional 2 speakers provide enough benefit to stay with the stock speakers.

I don't spend a lot of time in a car, but I do appreciate a decent sounding stereo system... I always have music playing.
never done it on accord, but have done it on more than few cars:
add sound deadener onto front doors and rear deck.
cover 30-40% of the surface and make 2-3" wide solid ring around speakers. put 4x4 square on the outer door shell right behind speaker.
fill any empty cavities in the door cards with packing foam.
it doesn't cost much, takes couple hrs of work only, but you'll be surprised how your stock unit and speakers gonna sound after that.
less distortion, less vibration, crispier highs and deeper more defined base guaranteed.

mitchflorida
10-04-2012, 10:42 AM

I sure wouldn't buy the EX model just for the 2 extra speakers which are probably worth $50 at the most. And no, they won't make a big difference.

160 Watts is good enough for the front two speakers. If you want decent sound you need a subwoofer and amp.

fw_fw
10-04-2012, 11:06 AM

Good XM which claims to have CD quality, it's not as good as CD. This is true for any XM I have ever had-ACURA, BMW, or Honda).

This.

Sounds fine to me, use iPod with 320K mp3s as my primary music source......

mdreibelbis
10-04-2012, 11:18 AM
This.

Plus with the iPod you can EQ the sound with one of the many apps out there to accommodate the acoustics of the car.

10-04-2012, 11:47 AM
This.

Would the same be true for the iphone? How does one do 320K MP3s?

fw_fw
10-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Would the same be true for the iphone? How does one do 320K MP3s?

It would be the same for the iPhone. I'm one of those old schoolers who still buys all his music on CDs, so I have to rip them off of the CDs too load them into iTunes. When ripping I just specify for iTunes to rip them in 320K mp3s. Then once ripped just load them onto the device.

longhorn
10-04-2012, 12:53 PM

Then you didn't have the ELS option in your MDX.

If owners are playing heavily compressed material such as mp3s,XM or sythencized dance music, then its possible there is not enough material at the lower frequency for the sub to use.

kaiser9
12-15-2012, 02:54 PM
I just picked up my 2013 Accord EX-L V6. The audio is awful. My 2013 with stock equipment sounds much better. Does anyone have advice other than after market speakers?

namegoeshere
12-15-2012, 03:20 PM
I just picked up my 2013 Accord EX-L V6. The audio is awful.

My 2013 with stock equipment sounds much better.

:scratch:

kbrunsting
12-15-2012, 05:25 PM
actually now that I've had the sport model for over a month now, I think the stereo is sounding fine.... and most of the time I'm using the usb flash drive instead of carrying around cd's like in my previous car.

mdreibelbis
12-15-2012, 06:31 PM
I've got an EX-L and think my stereo sounds pretty damn good through the iPod. Plenty good enough for a middle aged bloke anyways.

lertcmn
12-16-2012, 02:52 AM
Mine is Ex. Bluetooth streaming or usb connection sounds awesome but FM is horrible. I mean 'HORRIBLE'. I don't know why. So now i only do streaming. Works for me.

Roostalee
12-16-2012, 04:52 AM
The Sport's speakers are junk, no way around it. In fact, my 2010 Civic Si had the "Premium" 360 watt system (with subwoofer), and it was downright abysmal. People kept saying "well, it's a Civic so you should expect that." Even though it was a $24,000 car with "Premium" written on the dash. I lived with it, because I didn't want to spend a bundle to change everything out.

Now, the regular stock stereo in my 2004 Accord EX-L was excellent, with nice bass, mid-range and treble. A really balanced system that a sound engineer obviously took some time to correctly spec. But when I bought the Si, I was convinced they just cobbled it together with spare parts. After that, the Sport's terrible system wasn't any surprise. It has a very nice UI, but the speakers are pure bargain bin. I don't care if they are sourced by Alpine. That only proves Alpine makes cheap OEM speakers (newsflash: they always have).

I wish Honda would have offered an upgraded stereo as an option. Maybe partner with Infinity, JBL, Polk or someone who makes decent speakers.

Speaking of, anyone have good suggestions for a specific brand/model of door speaker?

Emmanuec
12-16-2012, 05:05 AM
Some people have installed the Polk Dxi 6500 or the db6051. I plan on purchasing one of those for the fronts.

Sportsman63
12-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Have had my sport for a month trying to accept the audio system it came with.
NOT EASY

Spoke with Crutchfield and they stated that the head unit could not be replaced as we would lose all the other functions on the dash where the stock unit is?

Also, their opinion was that changing the stock speakers(either front or rear) would not do much as the head unit we have in the sport is anemic and will not drive better quality speakers.

Any thoughts on this?

blyndgesser
12-16-2012, 10:11 AM
I am inclined to agree with the Crutchfield guys. They do a lot of research in order to find a way to sell you some equipment, and if they have come up empty, then I suspect that's game over.

Maybe Honda will release an upgrade kit of some sort.

glen e
12-16-2012, 11:15 AM
also a crutchfield fan of 20 years...excellent tech service - what other company will tell you NOT to buy stuff in this situation? The simple fact is we are not is cars of 10 years ago where you had a "head unit", the electronics are intertwined in telematics (phone) sound and operational features...it's just not that easy....

People want all these features but then they want to be able to work on it like it's a 20 year old lawnmower. can't have it both ways, not any more........

SHINCHU
12-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Mine is Ex. Bluetooth streaming or usb connection sounds awesome but FM is horrible. I mean 'HORRIBLE'. I don't know why. So now i only do streaming. Works for me.

this.
i have a sport but found FM is the culprit. i unplugged my rear ANC mic and that helped. going to do the front mic soon and see if that improves it further.

of course the ipod sounds even better now too. FM just stinks. not sure why its so pronounced in the accords though. my '12 HF civic had better sounding FM.

krob111
12-16-2012, 11:55 AM
I have EX-L v6 with navi. Mainly listen using pandora, Bluetooth or iPod sources and it sounds fine. Could it sound better? Sure but for a car stereo I am fine with the quality. Only listen to FM for local sports talk if at all and no plans to pay for xm when that trial is up.

CraigCA
12-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Hi everyone...

New Accord Sport owner here. Only has ~300 miles.

I found that if I use the Radio.com or the iHeart Radio iPhone apps the FM can sound pretty good. KROQ is a local radio station and they have their HD radio station on the Radio app. All 80's. Sounds great even with 4 speakers.

I 'discovered' this trick because I thought the 160 watt, 6 speaker stereo in my 2010 Insight EX was crap. That little stereo made the side mirrors vibrate if I turned it up.:thmsup:

Craig

krob111
12-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Hi everyone...

New Accord Sport owner here. Only has ~300 miles.

I found that if I use the Radio.com or the iHeart Radio iPhone apps the FM can sound pretty good. KROQ is a local radio station and they have their HD radio station on the Radio app. All 80's. Sounds great even with 4 speakers.

I 'discovered' this trick because I thought the 160 watt, 6 speaker stereo in my 2010 Insight EX was crap. That little stereo made the side mirrors vibrate if I turned it up.:thmsup:

Craig

Amen. I have been saying and doing the same with Tune in Radio app when I need a break from pandora or iPod. Those apps have unlimited number of stations too. If you are fortunate enough to have smart phone with a data plan no need to go near FM radio.

Roostalee
12-16-2012, 07:10 PM
While I've always appreciated the knowledgeable guys and gals at Crutchfield, I can't help but think that better speakers would make the system sound better. Especially door speakers. Granted, the main amp on the stereo is probably anemic and when pushed the power probably gets dirty. But efficient speakers do very well with very little power.

Hopefully someone here has changed out the door speakers and can agree or disagree with me.

maddmatt02
12-16-2012, 08:41 PM
I have an lx and listen from usb 90% of the time and am satisfied with it, I am still going to put the pair of ID8s in the trunk though. only complaint is that I listen aroun 25 and if I want it loud I listen round 28-30, on FM I listen over 30 and tested max volume once just to see, and it wasnt as lous as usb on 30... I wish it had the setting like on aftermarket decks where you can adjust the level in different sources so that you dont have to change the volume everytime you switch. havent put a cd in yet and might never so who knows how that is.

Emmanuec
12-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Othe people have changed the speakers in front to components. There is already a thread on this...

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77227

Maybe they can provide you with more feedback on their experience after the upgrades.

spock123
12-22-2012, 05:54 AM
I went to the dealer yesterday to complain about the poor quality of my audio system on my new accord coupe ex 2013. He said Honda know the problem and the manufacturer of the audio system is working on an update to fix that problem.
The update is suppose to be release on January 2013. I hope they can fix it.

Husker
12-22-2012, 07:48 AM
I went to the dealer yesterday to complain about the poor quality of my audio system on my new accord coupe ex 2013. He said Honda know the problem and the manufacturer of the audio system is working on an update to fix that problem.

What were the complaints you laid on them?

spock123
12-22-2012, 08:12 AM
i don't have enough base sound, it sound like no subwooferon fm and xm on cd it is little bit better, i'm very disapoint, in my accord coupe 2010 the sound was better than my 2013

aceof89
12-22-2012, 08:28 AM
i don't have enough base sound, it sound like no subwooferon fm and xm on cd it is little bit better, i'm very disapoint, in my accord coupe 2010 the sound was better than my 2013

FWIW I found setting the Bass and Sub to 6, Fader to RR1 made a noticebale improvement. Of course its so subjective. Good luck!

Gfn8r
12-22-2012, 01:03 PM
It's too bad that Honda won't sell you the Acura ELS-spec bits as dealer-installed stuff if you want. (Maybe it's not speced-out for the car, but it's gotta be better than the stock stuff!) There is a difference between my 7th-Gen MMC system (EX-L) and 8th-Gen system (EX-L), and I was hoping for the same thing, especially since I'm popping for the Touring!

I wonder if that supposed audio upgrade is also what will address the "freezing" problems.

Hopefully my Touring is still a "glint in Honda's eye" right now, so that any upgrades and fixes for early bugs are baked-in by the time it's built!!

(Incidentally, for those who were waiting, WeatherTech now has FloorLiners and their signature All-Weather mats available for the 2013 Sedans. Just ordered my FloorLiners the other day.)

DrSmoke
12-30-2012, 06:43 PM
EX-L V6 navi stereo is not very good. Surprised, not as good as my 2012 Odyssey EX-L Navi and no where close to my 2000 TL. No bass at all, subwoofer doesn't even seem to exist. You can feel it big time in the Odyssey but not at all in the Accord.

I found the same to a degree. The svc also can make the system "tinnier"

What sort of update? Software?

MaXGTS
12-30-2012, 07:21 PM
I went from a 2010 Acura TSX with Tech to the 2013 Accord Sport. The only thing I miss from the TSX is the excellent ELS audio system.

DrSmoke
12-30-2012, 07:28 PM
I went from a 2010 Acura TSX with Tech to the 2013 Accord Sport. The only thing I miss from the TSX is the excellent ELS audio system.

I think the V6 navi is a nice car. It handles very well, is very quick out of the Eco mode, and in eco mode it gets great fuel economy. The sound system is the weak point. The 2000tl had a nice Bose system that I miss but after 375k I had to break down and get something newer.

JayCoupe
12-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Thank you, I knew something was up!! :yes:
That is one of the first things I noticed in the 9th gen accord. I got a EX-L V6 just yesterday and the sound is definitely not the same as a 2012. There is a subwoofer in the back it does not pack that bass like the 8th gen. I played the same CD's and iPod in the new car. The sub setting on the 2012 was heavy at around +4, on the 2013 it is up all the way at +6 so there's obviously a difference. Hmmm, wonder why they got rid of the 6-disc changer too?

finalheaven
12-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Thank you, I knew something was up!! :yes:
That is one of the first things I noticed in the 9th gen accord. I got a EX-L V6 just yesterday and the sound is definitely not the same as a 2012. There is a subwoofer in the back it does not pack that bass like the 8th gen. I played the same CD's and iPod in the new car. The sub setting on the 2012 was heavy at around +4, on the 2013 it is up all the way at +6 so there's obviously a difference. Wonder why the got rid of the 6-disc changer too?

CDs will be outdated. Matter of fact I haven't a bought a CD in years. With iPods, iPhones, and USB flash drives that could hold 10x-100x the amount a CD can hold there's no point. Move the songs from CD to a flash drive or iPod and it'll last longer as well.

JayCoupe
12-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Yes, you are correct. I'm a big music fan so I understand about CD's...still, the system is NOT what it was in the 8th gen. If anything, CD's gives you an almost direct digital clarity when recorded right (not downloaded) so it is good test for a system even if it's not used everyday.

glen e
12-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Yes, you are correct. I'm a big music fan so I understand about CD's...still, the system is NOT what it was in the 8th gen. If anything, CD's gives you an almost direct digital clarity when recorded right (not downloaded) so it is good test for a system even if it's not used everyday.

I don't mind them getting rid of the 6 changer,but they should have put a 50Gig hard drive in the head unit, (for all models , not just Navi) . It's gotta small change if they did it in volume..

JayCoupe
12-30-2012, 08:49 PM
@glen e:
Ur coupe looks good man! :yes:
I almost got that same color but went with the silver instead. Traded in my black one. If you don't mind, where did you get the roof spoiler? I would love to have one of those...lookes nice on that car!

glen e
12-30-2012, 08:54 PM
@glen e:
Ur coupe looks good man! :yes:
I almost got that same color but went with the silver instead. Traded in my black one. If you don't mind, where did you get the roof spoiler? I would love to have one of those...lookes nice on that car!

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78090

BillB
01-12-2013, 09:37 PM
My 2013 Accord Sport has six speakers (Cnd version). The sound is not very good, it is worst than my old 2005 Accord.
Trouble adjustment is not very good; you can hear low freq mainly in this crap Sound system.
It may be the new ACN that kills the sound...

I went back to Honda dealer to have it checked and they said Honda could release a software upgrade by Spring '13 to address some issues with the Sound System.

I think it is a good idea to complain to Honda for poor Stereo quality - if sufficient people will complain thay may upgrade the sound system.

Rest the car is great.

glen e
01-12-2013, 09:40 PM
My 2013 Accord Sport has six speakers (Cnd version). The sound is not very good, it is worst than my old 2005 Accord.
Trouble adjustment is not very good; you can hear low freq mainly in this crap Sound system.
It may be the new ACN that kills the sound...

I went back to Honda dealer to have it check and they said Honda could release a software upgrade by Spring to address some issue with the Sound System.

I think it is a good idee to complay to Honda for poor Stereo quality - if sufficient people will complain thay may upgrade the sound system.

Rest the car is great.
please read this thread from the beginning before posting.... this and about 5 threads on this already...The update is expected soon....

newfmp3
01-14-2013, 08:49 AM
the stereo quality and its issues as well as the arm rest and poor passenger seat position are the reasons why I have not jumped on a 9th gen yet. Fact is is that I don't have these issues with my 8th gen so I am hesitant to jumo ship. That and the finance rates **** right now.

Hope honda clears up these issues with this update. I have my doubts that its going to fix any sound quality issues though

SHINCHU
01-14-2013, 10:29 AM
yeah i will keep my eyes peeled for an update.
would it just be firmware, like drive in, they flash whatever, and drive out?
i have no idea how that works.

i keep forgetting i have like 3 amps laying around my garage.
i just need to drop a bill or so on a loaded enclosure and some power cable and i would have some bass!

turdburger
01-14-2013, 11:52 AM
typical crappy sound system these days.

You should listen to the Bose in the Mazda6. It has 11 speakers, and SUCKS ASS.

Is the head unit good enough to push out good enough sound such that a simple speaker upgrade would be passable?

The sport is an awesome car, see one in the Hermatite color.

yeah, that hermaphrodite color is nasty. Doesn't sell very well.

Dum_Plings
01-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Does anyone plan on replacing the rear speakers as well? I had some experience replacing my rear speakers on my Altima and it was a PITA. I'm hoping the Accords will be easier?

Husker
01-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Does anyone plan on replacing the rear speakers as well? I had some experience replacing my rear speakers on my Altima and it was a PITA. I'm hoping the Accords will be easier?

I do and will for my EX-L with 7 Speakers...I will put a strong stage up front and use the rear for filling in, go to a concert, all the good groups use the whole stadium and the top groups ($$RICH$$) have incredible surround sound, I don't care for SS in the car just a little fill.

Magiconthetire
01-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Just ordered Polk Audio DXi6500 6.5" component set, and the matching Polk Audio DXi650 6.5's (I know the rear is negligible, but I wanted matching speakers)

Still deciding on a 4 channel amp....

Dum_Plings
01-14-2013, 03:13 PM
I do and will for my EX-L with 7 Speakers...I will put a strong stage up front and use the rear for filling in, go to a concert, all the good groups use the whole stadium and the top groups ($$RICH$$) have incredible surround sound, I don't care for SS in the car just a little fill.

Are you going to keep everything else stock? (i.e. amps)

I'm not looking to shake up the entire neighborhood. I just want to replace the stock speakers with something efficient and sound decent. And probably install some tweeters in the front as well seeing as how the Sport doesnt come with them :thumbsdow

Husker
01-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Are you going to keep everything else stock? (i.e. amps)

I'm not looking to shake up the entire neighborhood. I just want to replace the stock speakers with something efficient and sound decent. And probably install some tweeters in the front as well seeing as how the Sport doesnt come with them :thumbsdow

Going with amps and sub..Will let ya know when I pull the trigger.

01-14-2013, 04:39 PM
To answer the OP-I have an Ex-L top of the line srtereo and it is not great-not terrible either but disappointing considering a claimed 360 watts and a sub. I am sticking stock because it is very adequate to good (not "very" good). In truth, my Logic 7 on my 750 was not "all that" either.

My inside sources tell me that Alpine has developed a firmware upgrade that is due at dealers late Feb to correct the various static, ANC, and fail issues we are faced with. I know nothing about glitchiness or lagginess if that is addressed in the upgrade.

newfmp3
01-14-2013, 05:26 PM
they need to turn the sub up on the firmware because during my test drive, I couldn't tell it was even on and adjusting it did nothing on any source I tried. .i was in a touring.

SHINCHU
01-15-2013, 07:28 AM
My inside sources tell me that Alpine has developed a firmware upgrade that is due at dealers late Feb to correct the various static, ANC, and fail issues we are faced with. I know nothing about glitchiness or lagginess if that is addressed in the upgrade.

soooo im guessing i should plug my rear ANC mic back in and not monkey with audio until i take it in for the update?
heh.
will be interesting to hear the difference, if there is any.
i guess my speaker upgrade is officially on hold.
thanks for the heads up.
:thmsup:

oOKhanhOo
01-19-2013, 08:02 PM
anyone notice this?

No music/sound playing (or music on pause), sitting in silence. every time you turn volume up or down, one at a time, you'll hear a "pup" sound through the speakers.

It not really a problem but it something i wanted to point out.

Not sure if this is discussion but, with iPhone, plugged up via USB and bluetooth. when you select the iPod no music but song is still playing but no sound. switching it back the bluetooth you'll hear the music.

again, It not really a problem but it something i wanted to point out.

this happened once, got off the of a phone call through car speakers, the music resumes but no sound at all. disconnect/reconnect bluetooth didn't fix. only way to fix it was restarting the car.

REOlsen
02-01-2013, 01:17 PM
I agree with the crowd. Perhaps the "noise-cancelling feature" plays a part, but the 2013 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 w/Navi audio system is much worse than the one in my 2007 Honda Accord EX V-6. I ordinarily neither boost nor lower my treble and bass settings, but on my 2013 Honda high-range sounds are abrasive instead of translucent, and low-range sounds are a tad mushy. The biggest problem is apparently with the two front tweeters that point just to the right of the driver.

My dealer is helpless to even identify a problem, and Honda of America is playing a catch-22 game with buyers: if the dealer can't identify a problem, there is no problem, but if an owner replaces part of the audio system other than at a dealer that will void the (otherwise worthless) warranty on the audio system. Is the manufacturer of the audio system even identified in the manual? If not, that tells you something.

I can't listen to the audio in my car for more than five minutes unless I reduce the treble setting two notches below mid-point, reduce the base setting one notch, throw some of the sound into the back with the fader, and limit the volume to 16. That's like killing your tastebuds in order to ingest bad food. Honda should be ashamed.

REOlsen
02-04-2013, 06:13 AM
please read this thread from the beginning before posting.... this and about 5 threads on this already...The update is expected soon....

I would be interested to know from whom you are getting your information. My contact at Honda of America claims that there have been no consumer complaints about the quality of the sound system in the 2013 Accord EX-L. I have begun to make a record of my efforts to have the problem serviced at my dealer, if only for Lemon Law purposes. The dealer's service department encourages me to wait for the navigation system software fix, now expected by late February, to see whether it has any effect on the sound system. Either the equipment is substandard (I don't think Honda discloses the audio component manufacturer's name in the manual or any advertising), the balancing is terrible (I have to turn the treble down to nearly minimum setting), the noise-cancelling feature (new this year) is cancelling some of the audio output, or the admitted problems with the navi system are disrupting the audio system performance.

REOlsen
02-04-2013, 06:53 AM
this.
i have a sport but found FM is the culprit. i unplugged my rear ANC mic and that helped. going to do the front mic soon and see if that improves it further.

of course the ipod sounds even better now too. FM just stinks. not sure why its so pronounced in the accords though. my '12 HF civic had better sounding FM.

Thanks. How do you unplug the mikes or turn off the ANC system in its entirety?

Husker
02-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Thanks. How do you unplug the mikes or turn off the ANC system in its entirety?

Your gonna get a ticket from the Search police!!

REOlsen
02-04-2013, 06:58 AM

I think you may have been had by your nervous dealer.

glen e
02-04-2013, 07:17 AM
I think you may have been had by your nervous dealer.

no the dealer is correct - but sometime in 2/13....

fw_fw
02-04-2013, 07:20 AM
no the dealer is correct - but sometime in 2/13....

My dealer has confirmed the same thing to me......

glen e
02-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Your gonna get a ticket from the Search police!!

or even better - read the FAQ's

fw_fw
02-04-2013, 07:25 AM
I would be interested to know from whom you are getting your information. My contact at Honda of America claims that there have been no consumer complaints about the quality of the sound system in the 2013 Accord EX-L.

Your contact is wrong. Myself and plenty of others here have been in touch with our dealers and Honda Corporate. They are aware. Myself I posted a video of the audio distortion issue on YouTube back in November, and have communicated with Honda Corporate Customer Service about the problem and the video itself back then.

SHINCHU
02-04-2013, 07:26 AM
yeah i added a powered sub from inifnity (basslink) and it just made the problem worse.

ANC is making my sub go nuts. the mics pic up the engine audio (seems to incorperate engine RPM into the compensation, its like i have a bass pedal for a throttle lol)
anyway, the sub goes almost full power and just HUMMMS at certain RPM, especially when i start the engine (cold idle).
oh and the sub seems like its being choked back by ANC as well.
i have gain turned up all the way then backed off just a touch to avoid serious clipping. and its like the sub is playing from somebody else's car. output is seriously not what it should be. i've had the same sub in a 98 camaro and it sounded WAY better. not just because of acoustic difference. it seriously punched harder. im 99% sure its ANC causing all of this.

im this close --><-- to unplugging my ANC module, firmware update or not. razzin frazzin...

turdburger
02-04-2013, 08:16 AM
im this close --><-- to unplugging my ANC module, firmware update or not. razzin frazzin...

do it.

does ANC even provide a noticeable noise improvement?

sounds like a gimmick

SHINCHU
02-04-2013, 08:32 AM
it sure does if you install a sub lol
100hz full power humm is vastly improved lmao

Pilm1112
02-05-2013, 11:06 AM
I have an lx and listen from usb 90% of the time and am satisfied with it

LX sounds fine to me too, also use USB almost exclusively. Maybe it's the higher trims that have mucked up systems due to integration of other gadgets?

fw_fw
02-05-2013, 11:17 AM
LX sounds fine to me too, also use USB almost exclusively. Maybe it's the higher trims that have mucked up systems due to integration of other gadgets?

USB and CD are fine on all trim levels. It's BT, XM, and FM that are subpar....

walstylez
03-06-2013, 04:32 PM
For those who upgraded their speakers and added subs: What set up did you guys use? I've read some places that said there's no point in getting better speakers (I have a Sport trim to only 4 speakers with no tweeters) because the head units power/signal is so poor it won't matter. I want to add a sub if anything because the base sounds more like someone is knocking on my door...and was going to buy the Sound Ordnance B-8PT (I don't want anything rattling, just some bass) and have it installed...any opinions?

Thanks

Something Aweso
03-06-2013, 07:22 PM
I have the fully loaded V6 coupe and i like the story a lot. Its better than what was in my 2008 acura tl type s. The bass sounds nice and no matter what song i max out i do not get distortion. Not sure what all the complaints are about. I raise bass by 2, treble by 3, and sub by 3. Lastly, i turn off that option that artificially increases the volume of your stero based on travel speed or what have you.

walstylez
03-07-2013, 10:34 AM
I just turned my ANC off via the Diagnostic mode on the head unit and it hummed really bad at first...but then stopped. I still need to drive it though and see what happens lol

locoandroid
03-08-2013, 08:36 AM
I just turned my ANC off via the Diagnostic mode on the head unit and it hummed really bad at first...but then stopped. I still need to drive it though and see what happens lol

How did you perform this task?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

vh2k
03-08-2013, 08:45 AM

Disabling ANC via the diag menu only works until the car is turned off. It doesn't permanently disable it, correct? Who is going to go into the diag menu every time you get into the car?

glen e
03-08-2013, 09:12 AM
No one...it's just to see if you want to cut the wires for a perm shut off....

Husker
03-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Disabling ANC via the diag menu only works until the car is turned off. It doesn't permanently disable it, correct? Who is going to go into the diag menu every time you get into the car?

Eventually someone will discover how to enable & disable or someone will leak the Service Menu Calibration Guide.

walstylez
03-08-2013, 10:26 AM

No, you can go in and turn it back on. The stereo goes seem quite a bit louder to me, I think. I am still looking into replacing the factory door speakers, I think. Just waiting to hear back from a couple of Sport owners that I PM'd on here to see if I should add an amp or not. Again, I'm not trying to have some sort of a "system" in my car, I have that in my other car, I bought this mainly for work purposes.

vh2k
03-08-2013, 11:16 AM
No, you can go in and turn it back on. The stereo goes seem quite a bit louder to me, I think. I am still looking into replacing the factory door speakers, I think. Just waiting to hear back from a couple of Sport owners that I PM'd on here to see if I should add an amp or not. Again, I'm not trying to have some sort of a "system" in my car, I have that in my other car, I bought this mainly for work purposes.

I'll try again (this time, as a statement).

ANC is enabled by default everytime you start the car -- regardless of what you do in the diag menu.

MGP999
03-08-2013, 12:05 PM
With the Sport's weak head unit you probably want to amp any good aftermarket front speakers, but I don't have the Sport and my Navi unit does have enough to power my fronts fine at the volume that I listen to.

GradyPhilpott
03-08-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm a little disappointed with Honda for not giving accurate specs for the stock head unit.

There was a time that if you advertised the specifications for an amplifier, you had to give the wattage in RMS and also specify the frequency range and the total harmonic distortion, at the very least.

I suppose that Honda gets off the hook because they are not the manufacturer of the head unit.

If they are claiming 160 watts, however, it's a pretty good guess they what they really mean is 40 watts times four channels and I would hope that that is continuous watts across a range of at least 40-18,000hz with a THD of no more than 10%, which is the threshold for the human ear to distinguish.

That's not spectacular, but in the normal world, that's enough power to fill an automobile cabin quite well, as long as you don't have the bass cranked up full blast, unless you have powered subwoofer.

I had two head units in my 2003 Accord bite the dust and believe me those units were exceptionally expensive, but at least I learned that they were manufactured by Alpine, which except for the Honda head units, have a pretty good reputation for automotive audio, or so I'm told.

The bottom line is that the more I listen to my unit, the more satisfied I am with it, but of course, even though I listen to a wide variety of music from rock and roll to classical, I don't listen to it at insane levels.

I suppose that if I had a Sport or LX model with the high frequencies emitting from a full-range speaker mounted at foot level and soaked up by the carpeting and upholstery, I might very well be looking for an upgrade, but as it is with the EX and the door mounted tweeters, things are so far pretty good, as long as I stay on top of the EQ, which is of the utmost importance.

I still think that the way the tweeters were mounted in the 2003 Accord just under the windshield on the dash was the best arrangement for an automobile, because glass really disperses the highly directional high frequencies and I thought that really helped to create a fairly realistic presence.

Husker
03-08-2013, 08:41 PM
I still think that the way the tweeters were mounted in the 2003 Accord just under the windshield on the dash was the best arrangement for an automobile, because glass really disperses the highly directional high frequencies and I thought that really helped to create a fairly realistic presence.

It's better not to reflect the high frequencies off any hard surface, because they will arrive at different times to your ears (not to noticeable in a tiny space), especially the first reflections, which can cause a slight echo or muddied sound.

I prefer to have the high frequencies delivered directly to my ears, then, the car seats, my body, carpet, etc. will act as an acoustic absorption to intercept/control the first reflected high frequencies, desired for a tuned environment.

GradyPhilpott
03-08-2013, 09:45 PM
It's better not to reflect the high frequencies off any hard surface, because they will arrive at different times to your ears (not to noticeable in a tiny space)

Well, high frequencies still need some form of dispersion. Domed tweeters and even two tweeters mounted angles have been tried.

Honda and some others use a grate over the tweeters that does the same thing, to one degree or another.

As I said, I'm still getting the adjustments down and we'll see just how effective the current set up turns out.

I would also note that phase is going to suffer to an extent because one tweeter is always further away from the listener, whether the listener is the driver or the passenger.

dirtrat
03-09-2013, 11:33 AM
with a THD of no more than 10%, which is the threshold for the human ear to distinguish.

Please don't spread incorrect information in this thread. I know many casual users and audiophile experts who would completely disagree with this statement! If you can't tell the difference then maybe it's time to UPGRADE your stereo.

mgp777
03-09-2013, 01:11 PM
No one...it's just to see if you want to cut the wires for a perm shut off....

I believe cutting mic wires is no longer needed. Just unplug the ANC module in the console.

jban
04-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Wow, nice to see I'm not the only one. I've had my 2013 Honda EX-L 4 Cyl Coupe less than a week, and I'm seriously underwhelmed by the audio. Sound quality from all sources is like an AM radio station, and the radio stations themselves are full of static. Soooo disappointing, and I'm not an audiophile. The dealer says they've never had a complaint about the audio. I traded up from a 2002 Civic EX which had better sound. Sad.

Has anyone found any solutions? Can we install firmware updates ourselves or do we have to go to a dealer? Any help is appreciated!

jimjc
04-28-2013, 12:11 PM
I`ve had many new cars and the Accord Sport stereo system ****s. The key to any decent sound system today is low distortion and this radio if it wasn`t for distortion it wouldn`t have anything at all.

If it`s true that Alpine makes it that would surprise me because Alpine makes decent stuff. So Honda must go out of its way to come up with a lousy radio.

The big problem is today the head units are tied into everything so replacing them with aftermarket is difficult if not impossible without screwing everything up. I miss the days when I could change radios and come up with some truly super systems.

I don`t listen at the critical level I used to so a true high fidelity system isn`t important but having a system that is reasonably distortion free is.

Of coarse I guess I could bypass the factory unit and install a unit somewhere else in the car but as I said the highest fidelity isn`t important.

In this day of electronics a company has to go out of its way to come up with a lousy audio syatem.

IceWendigo
05-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Has anyone found any solutions?

I Second this, If anyone found a way to improve the Audio quality (hopefully by updating software or changing setting configuration, instead of coughing up more money with new additional equipment) let us know.

(imo the audio in my Sport trim is usually good enough when I listen to classical or jazz but sometimes crappy with other types of music pop/rock/etc . The Canadian Sport trim has 4 speakers plus 2 tiny speakers (tweeters?) and the brochure refers to this as being 6 speakers, is this referred to has 4 speakers or as 6 speakers in the US?

costasmandylor
05-02-2013, 07:47 AM
I Second this, If anyone found a way to improve the Audio quality (hopefully by updating software or changing setting configuration, instead of coughing up more money with new additional equipment) let us know.

(imo the audio in my Sport trim is usually good enough when I listen to classical or jazz but sometimes crappy with other types of music pop/rock/etc . The Canadian Sport trim has 4 speakers plus 2 tiny speakers (tweeters?) and the brochure refers to this as being 6 speakers, is this referred to has 4 speakers or as 6 speakers in the US?

The Sport Accord in the states has 4 speakers full stop. One in each door in the front, two in the shelf behind the rear seat. No tweeters.

The speakers themselves are the cheapest construction imaginable. Simply replacing them will help the quality of the sound considerably.

thirteensport
05-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Has anyone installed new speakers in the Sport, or any other 4 speaker version ? Just wondered what brand you used, did it make a big difference ?
Thanks.....

WSport13
05-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Has anyone installed new speakers in the Sport, or any other 4 speaker version ? Just wondered what brand you used, did it make a big difference ?
Thanks.....

try this thread
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77227&highlight=DB6501

I followed the tips from other members and replace mine with Polk DB6501. Fit good, sound great to me, of course, to each his own.

thirteensport
05-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Another question concerning the system in my Sport...
Has anyone added an amp and sub to the exsisting stock stereo ? I don't suppose Honda was nice enough to have RCA out puts somewhere behind the stereo ?

Thanks

mf15
05-03-2013, 12:22 PM
I find the stereo very good if you supply the signal from USB,the material is from cd and other quality sources,transferred at high bit rate. FM and XM terrible in comparison.
This may indicate the tuner is weak,or fm and xm highly compressed and missing a lot of data or both. But would also indicate that the amp and speakers are not bad if fed a good signal.
EXL.
Old Mike

karfreek
07-17-2013, 02:49 PM
I wish someone would introduce Honda to the 6x9. My Magnum had 6x9s in the doors and two out back and that car would lay the pipe. Even at 70mph with the sunroof open it was fantastic. It was *only* 276w, too.

Jay

brand0n
07-17-2013, 03:22 PM
I have the touring Accord.

right now I am in a rented Buick Lacrosse. Holy crap. There literally is no comparison in stereos. If you were to put a blindfolded person into the Buick, let them listen and then move them to an accord.... I think they would guess they were in a Yaris or something similar.

The Touring Accord can't even compete with a base model Buick that doesn't even have a subwoofer. Epic.

brand0n
07-17-2013, 03:23 PM
I find the stereo very good if you supply the signal from USB,the material is from cd and other quality sources,transferred at high bit rate. FM and XM terrible in comparison.
This may indicate the tuner is weak,or fm and xm highly compressed and missing a lot of data or both. But would also indicate that the amp and speakers are not bad if fed a good signal.
EXL.
Old Mike

Good signal or not, its still bad. Even falls short of my wifes 2011 EX-L Pilot.

christophoclese
07-17-2013, 05:23 PM
IDK. ive got the seven speaker system and think its fine (not as clear as the bose system in my maxima or the 11 speaker infinity system my 300 had). i usually only play digital files though through the usb or on the HDD. I think with some speker upgrades it could be pretty good system. Good enough for my tastes and needs.

unixadm
07-17-2013, 07:38 PM
I have the touring Accord.

right now I am in a rented Buick Lacrosse. Holy crap. There literally is no comparison in stereos. If you were to put a blindfolded person into the Buick, let them listen and then move them to an accord.... I think they would guess they were in a Yaris or something similar.

The Touring Accord can't even compete with a base model Buick that doesn't even have a subwoofer. Epic.

Same here. Every vehicle I've ever owned except for like my first two cars (one of which was from 1970) when I was a kid had a better sounding stock system. My 2012 F150 FX4 blows it away, my 05 4Runner Limited does as well. The rental 2013 Jetta 2.5 S wagon I had a few weeks ago was leaps and bounds better sounding and it was a base model. I really like most everything about my Accord Touring, but the system in it sounds weak, muffled and lacks any punch/bass.

karfreek
07-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Maybe Car & Driver needs to take things like Audio System sound quality into consideration when handing out the "10 Best" award. I know they are the first to bash bad infotainment systems like the MyFordTouch.

Jay

Radioarchivist
07-18-2013, 03:34 PM
This radio is undoubtedly the same 160 Watt, 4 speaker sound system used in the 2013 CRV. As a long time engineer involved in auto radio design, like for radios in Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Ford, Pontiac, Volksvagen, I was not impressed with the power of my new CRV's radio. The measured results, using a few variations of measurement procedures were the following:

4 Ohms, 1% distortion: 10.08 Watts/Channel
This is the standard endoresed by all universities, CES, text books, etc.

4 Ohms, 10% distortion: 15.6 Watts/Channel
Often used by OEMs in the past. Ignored a lot now due to modern quality standards.

4 Ohms, volume all the way up: 23.04 Watts/Channel
This is unbelievably horrible and unlistenable distortion. If left on for any extended period of time, the speakers and/or amplifier section would be damaged. This "method" is only used to deceive potential customers and has no legitimacy.

So, called "Music Power" was not attempted because nobody can really tie down what that BS is. Google on it and it will usually say 2 X real power. OK. Let's estimate it. Total power out of Honda is 40 Watts. OK 40 X 2 is what?

I hope you realize that not even the insane last method can produce no more than 92.16 Watts total. It is a meaningless as burning the car, measuring the heat and determining the horsepower of the flames.

The reason for Honda's being able to advertise 160 Watts is that the average customer does not complain. The Sheeple have spoken, I guess.

karfreek
07-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Wow. Interesting information. I really dont get any audible distortion from the system using BT audio @ max volume. But, I can tell that as you turn it up the bass drops right out. Almost like Auto Loudness from back in the day.

There is just no 'Warmth' to the stereo in this car. Im not sure if there is a fix other than aftermarket. Meaning, I think its hardware not software. And I dont think Honda is going to move this to the top of the list any time soon...

Jay

mon3ymak3r
02-01-2014, 09:25 PM
The Sport's speakers are junk, no way around it. In fact, my 2010 Civic Si had the "Premium" 360 watt system (with subwoofer), and it was downright abysmal. People kept saying "well, it's a Civic so you should expect that." Even though it was a $24,000 car with "Premium" written on the dash. I lived with it, because I didn't want to spend a bundle to change everything out.

Now, the regular stock stereo in my 2004 Accord EX-L was excellent, with nice bass, mid-range and treble. A really balanced system that a sound engineer obviously took some time to correctly spec. But when I bought the Si, I was convinced they just cobbled it together with spare parts. After that, the Sport's terrible system wasn't any surprise. It has a very nice UI, but the speakers are pure bargain bin. I don't care if they are sourced by Alpine. That only proves Alpine makes cheap OEM speakers (newsflash: they always have).

I wish Honda would have offered an upgraded stereo as an option. Maybe partner with Infinity, JBL, Polk or someone who makes decent speakers.

Speaking of, anyone have good suggestions for a specific brand/model of door speaker?
Crutchfield is where I go for research and when I want to see if a speaker will fit my car. I have a 2013 LX Honda accord and have had the stock speakers taken out and have replaced them with JL Audio ZR 650 Component speakers, and a 12 inch alpine type X Subwoofer in a ported enclosure.They sound fantastic! I was able to buy the Window sail(Factory Tweeter Location) on the Honda Estore. I also have a Alpine PDX-M12 for the sub and a PDX F-4 to power the speakers. There was a problem at first with ANC interfering with the subwoofer frequency. I had it disconnected and it fixed my problem. The downside is that now I cant use bluetooth to talk on the phone. Other than that Everything works just fine and I'am happy with my upgrades. :D

levelup
02-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Is it possible to replace the stock speakers and keep the ANC?
I'm not doing anything crazy that requires an amp.

FreAkInZ
02-02-2014, 04:59 AM
It would seem that focal speakers do not mess with the ANC

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=154601

mon3ymak3r
02-02-2014, 05:35 PM
It's not the speakers that interfere with the anc. It is the subwoofer that interferes with it. If you are only upgrading the speakers then you should have no problem.

ScottTex
02-02-2014, 06:38 PM
Is upgrading the front speakers a) the best thing to do (biggest bang for the buck) and b) if you were to just change the front speakers (for about $100) would it make that much of a difference?

mon3ymak3r
02-05-2014, 06:54 AM
yes it would. seeing as how you are the one driving it all the time it would make sense to first upgrade the front speakers. Thats the first step I took but I had an amp put in at the same time. No sense in putting in awesome front speakers and tweeters If I cant use them to their full potential. otherwise you will still have a lot of distortion at high levels.

berrnard
02-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Is upgrading the front speakers a) the best thing to do (biggest bang for the buck) and b) if you were to just change the front speakers (for about $100) would it make that much of a difference?

dont unless you are installing an amp and/or sub at the same time.

changed my speakers and they sound worse than the oem's. because the oem system is way underpowered and cant drive aftermarket stuff well.

have all my amp and stuff, just waiting for a above 40 degree/no snow day to install :thumbsup:

shadow85
02-05-2014, 08:03 AM

changed my speakers and they sound worse than the oem's. because the oem system is way underpowered and cant drive aftermarket stuff well.

have all my amp and stuff, just waiting for a above 40 degree/no snow day to install :thumbsup:

Do you know if the speakers you tried, that sounded worst with stock setup, are high sensitivity or not?

Dum_Plings
02-05-2014, 08:21 AM

Completely agree with this post! Mids and highs are good...just the bass is totally lacking. However, I don't really want to install a sub since I dont want it to take up any of my trunk space. Are you going to use the amp to power the speakers as well?

primetime
02-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Crutchfield is where I go for research and when I want to see if a speaker will fit my car. I have a 2013 LX Honda accord and have had the stock speakers taken out and have replaced them with JL Audio ZR 650 Component speakers, and a 12 inch alpine type X Subwoofer in a ported enclosure.They sound fantastic! I was able to buy the Window sail(Factory Tweeter Location) on the Honda Estore. I also have a Alpine PDX-M12 for the sub and a PDX F-4 to power the speakers. There was a problem at first with ANC interfering with the subwoofer frequency. I had it disconnected and it fixed my problem. The downside is that now I cant use bluetooth to talk on the phone. Other than that Everything works just fine and I'am happy with my upgrades. :D

The ZR 650's have a 5.56 mounting diameter. So you were able to install these without having to do any cutting to make the hole bigger?

http://www.jlaudio.co.uk/zr650-csi-car-audio-zr-speaker-systems-91122

berrnard
02-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Do you know if the speakers you tried, that sounded worst with stock setup, are high sensitivity or not?

not sure, http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/sps-610c/

shadow85
02-06-2014, 12:59 PM

I see the sensitivity is 88dB which is low, and requires a true amp to sound good since they arent as efficient. Maybe with high sensitivity speakers (>90dB), where the speakers are more efficient, there may be a small gain with factory amp.

By the way, I say all of this with no real experience.

ousooner2
02-06-2014, 01:31 PM
This radio is undoubtedly the same 160 Watt, 4 speaker sound system used in the 2013 CRV. As a long time engineer involved in auto radio design, like for radios in Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Ford, Pontiac, Volksvagen, I was not impressed with the power of my new CRV's radio. The measured results, using a few variations of measurement procedures were the following:

4 Ohms, 1% distortion: 10.08 Watts/Channel
This is the standard endoresed by all universities, CES, text books, etc.

4 Ohms, 10% distortion: 15.6 Watts/Channel
Often used by OEMs in the past. Ignored a lot now due to modern quality standards.

4 Ohms, volume all the way up: 23.04 Watts/Channel
This is unbelievably horrible and unlistenable distortion. If left on for any extended period of time, the speakers and/or amplifier section would be damaged. This "method" is only used to deceive potential customers and has no legitimacy.

So, called "Music Power" was not attempted because nobody can really tie down what that BS is. Google on it and it will usually say 2 X real power. OK. Let's estimate it. Total power out of Honda is 40 Watts. OK 40 X 2 is what?

I hope you realize that not even the insane last method can produce no more than 92.16 Watts total. It is a meaningless as burning the car, measuring the heat and determining the horsepower of the flames.

The reason for Honda's being able to advertise 160 Watts is that the average customer does not complain. The Sheeple have spoken, I guess.

I wish I saw this earlier! I'd like to know what the voltages

I see the sensitivity is 88dB which is low, and requires a true amp to sound good since they arent as efficient. Maybe with high sensitivity speakers (>90dB), where the speakers are more efficient, there may be a small gain with factory amp.

By the way, I say all of this with no real experience.

A sensitivity of 88dB using 10 watts at 1m (3') will give you 101dB. That's VERY loud for most people. Factor in distortion and it could sound louder to your ear

I'm a proponent of having a decent amount of headroom for dynamic peaks, but most people don't realize it takes very little power to reach a volume (dB) that's quite loud. One of the reasons people have issues with volume and crappy sound in a car is due to the axis of the speaker relative to your ears and the role that reflections play on that (either negatively or positively). Most speakers roll off VERY quickly when you're 20-30+ degrees off axis (standing directly in front of the speaker would be 'on-axis'). Think about where your ears are in relation to the drivers side speaker! You're on the wrong side of 45deg lol. Factor in phase cancellations and peaks and you're going to get an uneven frequency response no matter how you slice it.

Another reason DSP can be such a HUGE game changer

ViciousMo
02-06-2014, 01:34 PM

What amp/speaker combo did you go with? I was thinking of spending around ~100 for 2 speakers, and ~100 for the amp.

mon3ymak3r
02-09-2014, 12:09 AM
No. The hole was a little small so cutting was neccessary.

Wrenchspinner
02-09-2014, 07:21 AM

You said that you no longer have Bluetooth to talk on the phone. How? I just did a full update and everything works fine. Just curious what was done.

Salami
02-09-2014, 08:54 AM
You said that you no longer have Bluetooth to talk on the phone. How? I just did a full update and everything works fine. Just curious what was done.

Isn't that one of the issues caused by cutting the microphone wires instead of unplugging the ANC module in the console?

mon3ymak3r
02-09-2014, 03:22 PM
There was an issue where my sub made a weird noise. I read that it had something to do with the ANC interfering with the sub or vice versa. I unplugged both mics and it stopped making the noise. I do want the bluetooth to work so I'm curious as to how you got it to work as well.

levelup
02-09-2014, 07:33 PM

FUG!
I just got those to replace the front and the coaxials to replace the rears.
Oh well I already took the dremel to fit the tweeters and it came out quite nicely.

Did the speakers at least fit perfectly with the brackets that were included?

Kid2icon
02-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Completely agree with this post! Mids and highs are good...just the bass is totally lacking. However, I don't really want to install a sub since I dont want it to take up any of my trunk space. Are you going to use the amp to power the speakers as well?

I was concerned about trunk space as well with my subs. I had a ported box for 2-12's and it took most of my trunk. I got a sealed box made and was quite impressed by the finish. The sound output is obviously not as loud as the ported but the notes are cleaner and deeper. I have plenty of trunk space for all my goodies. Like they say though a picture is worth a 1000 words, so check it out...

primetime
02-12-2014, 08:23 PM
I changed flat to "on" in the system diagnostics menu and the factory system sounds much better. Anyone notice that when you use an iPhone and turn the vol up all the way on the phone while playing it using blue tooth it sounds much better than an mp3 on a jump drive? Turn your base up to 4 with flat setting on and that factory sub isn't that quiet anymore.

02-13-2014, 07:33 PM
I changed flat to "on" in the system diagnostics menu and the factory system sounds much better. Anyone notice that when you use an iPhone and turn the vol up all the way on the phone while playing it using blue tooth it sounds much better than an mp3 on a jump drive? Turn your base up to 4 with flat setting on and that factory sub isn't that quiet anymore.

I just did it today. Great improvement to a shitty "Premium" stereo that is now adequate but far from good.

Before on BT, I had to crank up the volume to 22 and now I play it at 12-14 and it thumps. I may be spoiled because my '07 MDX with the ELS system simply blows the Accord (and many cars) away.

ShazZam185
02-14-2014, 01:13 AM
I was concerned about trunk space as well with my subs. I had a ported box for 2-12's and it took most of my trunk. I got a sealed box made and was quite impressed by the finish. The sound output is obviously not as loud as the ported but the notes are cleaner and deeper. I have plenty of trunk space for all my goodies. Like they say though a picture is worth a 1000 words, so check it out...

how does that dual enclosure setup sound? I had dial enclosure in one of my previous vehicles '89 Jeep Cherokee. Then upgraded to a Jeep Commander but didn't install it in that vehicle. So it's been about about 3 years and my dual enclosure has been collecting dust in storage. I'm on the fence about going with the same setup in my Accord. I don't want to overdo it and rattle other cars at stop lights or crack the pavement...just add some additional bass.

Anyone else feel free to chime in too...

02-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Then you didn't have the ELS option in your MDX.

If owners are playing heavily compressed material such as mp3s,XM or sythencized dance music, then its possible there is not enough material at the lower frequency for the sub to use.

This is a year old but you are exactly correct-Base model lease MDX.

I do have the ELS on my purchased '07 MDX and it is Spectacular and blows away '12 MDX, Accord, and many factory stereos. I have heard some very high end B&O and Levinson that top (just barely) the ELS but they are many thousands more money.

TPC13SPORT
03-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Just had a Audio guy quote me $650 for 10" sub very small box pointing down, amp, tweeters with honda mounts, disconnecting ANC as it causes havoc with aftermarket audio, parts and labor. I think Kenwood. Is this a good price. I'll stick with my factory 6.5 for now. Not very knowledgable on car stereos.

ousooner2
03-01-2014, 04:00 PM
Depends.

What sub?
Exactly what amp?
What tweeters and are you purchasing/supplying the Honda sail panels or is he?
Disconnecting ANC (..you shouldn't have to even pay for that lol)

Add labor (probably not more than a few hours if he took his time)

My verdict...I don't think that's a very good price at all, but it's your money. If he's going to use a solid sub, well built box, etc then okay...but it's likely a cheapo sub, cheapo Kenwood, etc. Probably $250 in parts at most.

TPC13SPORT
03-04-2014, 03:45 AM
The sub and box was $199 and amp $199. $200 labor(about 3 Hrs. he said) and parts and he orders the Honda sail panels. It's hard for me to justify $650 just to add a little thump. Anyone have a cheaper idea?

plunk10
03-04-2014, 10:55 AM

I wonder if Honda ever did release that update. The post I'm quoting is from December 2012. :thmsup:

Sucks to hear that the stereo in my '04 is likely better sounding than the '13/'14 Accord :dunno:

Zany13
03-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Hello guys/gals, I am new to this forum and the amount of info here is mind blowing!

I purchased a Cdn Accord sport 2014 and I am interested to upgrade the audio system.

I went to this trusted shop in the city and they quoted me this setup. Now bare with me I admit I don't know much about car audio till 2 days ago:

The HU will be the factory radio :(

JL C2 components in the front
JL C2 coax is the rear
some JL 10 inch compact sub and box

this will all be powered by the JL XD700/5

The full installation and parts will cost 1600 CDN + taxes.

I don't know what he will use for the setup, I assume it will be good wiring and whatever else that is needed for a typical setup at his shop.

Now the question is, is this a good or reasonable price?

I also never had an upgraded audio system. HOw will this compare to the existing system?

ousooner2
03-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Hello guys/gals, I am new to this forum and the amount of info here is mind blowing!

I purchased a Cdn Accord sport 2014 and I am interested to upgrade the audio system.

I went to this trusted shop in the city and they quoted me this setup. Now bare with me I admit I don't know much about car audio till 2 days ago:

The HU will be the factory radio :(

JL C2 components in the front
JL C2 coax is the rear
some JL 10 inch compact sub and box

this will all be powered by the JL XD700/5

The full installation and parts will cost 1600 CDN + taxes.

I don't know what he will use for the setup, I assume it will be good wiring and whatever else that is needed for a typical setup at his shop.

Now the question is, is this a good or reasonable price?

I also never had an upgraded audio system. HOw will this compare to the existing system?

I have no clue what the difference is between CDN & USD as far as parts, etc. If you could make it to where it resembles a stateside price that'd be easier...for me at least, to asses.

The factory HU is most definitely good enough if you're worried about sound. If you're worried about looks, then obviously you might prefer aftermarket, but as far as sound quality the factory unit is more than enough to get the job done.

Again, I can't really say if that's good or not, but the C2's aren't that great. Unless they're dirt cheap and this setup is costing you an equivalent of $500 USD, then I don't think it's a good deal at all.

As far as if it'll sound good. That's up to you, what you've heard and enjoy and what your goals are. If you've ever heard a car setup with time alignment (full DSP for that matter) on it then this would sound like an AM radio.

primetime
03-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Change flat to "on" in the factory systems menu (search on how to do this) and enjoy a better sounding factory system.

ramblinmanva
03-22-2014, 06:58 PM
I guess my question fits within this thread so I thought I would check here rather than start a new thread about radios.

I bought the 2014 Accord w/ navi last week. I'm in the car about an hour+ each day and listen to a lot of music on my iPhone and I'm so disappointed in the radio. I'm spoiled because my previous car had a 16 speaker "factory" system with 2 sub-woofers and obviously this 7 speaker system with an almost non-existent sub is underwhelming.

So now I'm considering if I have any options to upgrade the stereo (guess after market is the only option). I'm willing to have new speakers and sub-woofers installed (disappointing on a brand new car) but it sounds like from these posts that may not even be an option due to the electronics being all tied in together? Or the equipment being too "weak" to push more sound? (Sorry, I love music but I'm a radio novice on these cars.)

Is it possible to add even more speakers to the car (to increase from 7)?

I also have the Siri update on the firmware and I'm wondering if I upgrade the system if I would lose that capability?

I'm guessing any change to the radio speakers and such would void the warranty? I guess just the warranty as it relates to the radio? I know--probably a lame question, just want to be clear.

Sorry for all the questions. Appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

primetime
03-22-2014, 07:04 PM
I guess my question fits within this thread so I thought I would check here rather than start a new thread about radios.

I bought the 2014 Accord w/ navi last week. I'm in the car about an hour+ each day and listen to a lot of music on my iPhone and I'm so disappointed in the radio. I'm spoiled because my previous car had a 16 speaker "factory" system with 2 sub-woofers and obviously this 7 speaker system with an almost non-existent sub is underwhelming.

So now I'm considering if I have any options to upgrade the stereo (guess after market is the only option). I'm willing to have new speakers and sub-woofers installed (disappointing on a brand new car) but it sounds like from these posts that may not even be an option due to the electronics being all tied in together? Or the equipment being too "weak" to push more sound? (Sorry, I love music but I'm a radio novice on these cars.) You can run an aftermarket system like you described using an LOC. For better control, check out the LC7i.

Is it possible to add even more speakers to the car (to increase from 7)? You can, but strongly suggest you don't add more speakers using the factory amp.

I also have the Siri update on the firmware and I'm wondering if I upgrade the system if I would lose that capability? Not if it's setup right.
I'm guessing any change to the radio speakers and such would void the warranty? I guess just the warranty as it relates to the radio? I know--probably a lame question, just want to be clear. It won't void the warranty.

Sorry for all the questions. Appreciate any guidance. Thanks.

Answers in red

ramblinmanva
03-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Change flat to "on" in the factory systems menu (search on how to do this) and enjoy a better sounding factory system.

I've been searching google and the forums to try to find how to enter this menu and I'm coming up dry--sorry. Any leads/instructions as to how to do this? Thanks.

Ignore. Just found the instructions by using a better search method. Changed it. I'll see tomorrow when I hit the road if this improves the bass.

I notice when sitting with the car not running the music seems to have a lot of bass and sounds very good to me. When I'm driving, it sounds pathetic. Hopefully this will help. Thanks.

REOlsen
09-27-2014, 04:21 AM

What did you end up doing with your 2013 EX-L sound system? I had the same complaint from the start -- the treble was tinny/brassy/jarring at volume level 13 on up, far inferior to the sound in my 2007 Honda V-6. There is no brand promoted (or even identified) by Honda in connection with the audio system, and that tells you something. This is either non-brand equipment, or the manufacturer refused to allow its name to be associated with the equipment following changes specified by American Honda. I complained to American Honda, but that went nowhere.

BlaccordV6
09-29-2014, 02:52 PM
As I understand the ex-l model has yellow cones, and maybe made by pioneer? The non ex-l models have black cones. I'm wondering if the yellow cones are that much better than the black ones?

keep_hope_alive
09-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Pioneer made the base model system electronics.

Fostex makes the premium speakers and Alpine makes the touch screen.

accordsport86
10-17-2014, 03:41 PM
how do you hook up the stock ex tweeters on the sport..i habe the oem garnish and tweeters just want to know how to hook them up thanx

radiofred
10-19-2014, 04:51 PM
just add some sound deadener to the car and youll be surpise on how well its going to sound

The Weather Guy
11-22-2014, 11:01 AM
On my initial test drive of my (pre-owned)2013 EX-L, I really couldn't believe how a modern car could have a such an inferior sounding stereo system. I honestly thought it might be a deal-breaker. However, I was so impressed with everything else about the car I decided to deal with it.

Thanks to youtube, I discovered the DSP Flat 'ON' adjustment, but as far as I can tell that resets every time you start the car.

Earlier in the is thread someone hinted of a software fix from Honda. Does that exist? Eventually I may have to bite bullet and upgrade some hardware.