Xzilon? Is it clear coat? [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Xzilon? Is it clear coat?

derdude
08-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Hello,
I bought a 2006 Accord Coupe a month ago. When I bought the car I told them I did not want to buy the clear coat that they where trying to sell me. When I brought the car home I found under the seat a paperboard item that I think they would hang on the mirror that says "XZILON has been professionally applied to your vehicle". Is Xzilon clear coat? Should I use a special wax because of the Xzilon?
Thanks....

Conundrum
08-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Ummm..ok to try and clear up some confusion...

All cars these days are "clear coated". Basically back a number of years ago (I think this was around 10-15 years ago) all cars had single stage paint, meaning just the colour, and nothing else. This meant the colour would fade over time, amoung other problems. What was done to replace single stage paint was a base coat/clear coat solution (so in other words two stage). Basically as soon as the base coat has been sprayed and dried the car is clearcoated and dried again. In some cases the clear is mixed with the base, and is sprayed at one time (however I'm almost 100% sure our Honda's have it done in two separate stages). Anyhow this is all done at the factory, and is separate from what you are talking about.

Now in terms of what dealerships (or rather stealerships) offer to customers is a "paint protection package". No matter what they say this package contains, basically all they do is use either a wax or sealant on your car and charge an insane amount of money. I've never heard of Xzilon before, but I figure its that dealership's buzzword for whatever they use in that process.

Now if you found a tag in your car, maybe it was treated, maybe it wasn't. If your not completely anal about your cars finish (I mean like uber detailer here), and you never got charged anything extra, then I wouldn't worry about it. In terms of waxing the car just use whatever you normally would use...as whatever they put on at the dealership (if they put anything on) wouldn't be much different from what you can buy online or OTC in a store.

BenjiBoy650
08-22-2006, 06:52 AM
Now if you found a tag in your car, maybe it was treated, maybe it wasn't. If your not completely anal about your cars finish (I mean like uber detailer here), and you never got charged anything extra, then I wouldn't worry about it. In terms of waxing the car just use whatever you normally would use...as whatever they put on at the dealership (if they put anything on) wouldn't be much different from what you can buy online or OTC in a store.
A lot of the dealerships use teflon based products, which will screw you over bad. Teflon won't allow most good waxes and sealants (Klasse, Poor Boys, Five Star, Meguiars, etc) to stick to the paint. When you apply it, all it does it streak instead of going on evenly. Teflon based products for car care are one of the dumbest inventions ever - they do nothing for a car's finish unless they are applied at 800 degrees. Even DuPont, the makers and copyright holders for Teflon, have come out and said it's a useless product for paint protection.

That being said, a simple google search will tell you everything you need to know about Xzilon...it's a glorified paint sealant. It's not going to last you 5 years unless you drive your car roughly 1000 miles and keep it under a car cover inside a locked climate controlled garage the rest of the time :yes:

phoenix
08-22-2006, 06:53 AM
Maybe this labels me a sucker but I bought the paint protection package at the dealership. They said that they use some sort of "plastic" coating. I mean, they told me all sorts of benefits yada yada. They also said it eliminates the need to wax the car since nothing, including the wax, will stick to the plastic coating and they will reapply it whenever I ask. Of course I still clay and wax it anyway but that's just me.

Since I cannot garage my car (and my carport blew away one windy spring morning, I literally found it in a tree :lmao: ) I decided to go for it. I mean, in the end it only added like 4 bucks a month to my payments. I'll pay $4 a month for piece of mind.

SSMV6
08-22-2006, 07:06 AM
http://www.xzilon.com/cat/
Sounds like a scotchguard knockoff or a wax...

Conundrum
08-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Maybe this labels me a sucker but I bought the paint protection package at the dealership.

Meh don't feel so bad...I ended up paying for it too (before I found out what they really did). I know in my case I talked them down pretty dramatically from what they wanted vs what I would pay (car, options, and the protection package for paint/leather/undercoating)...so in the end I don't feel as bad as I doubt I would have gotten the amount off if I had not gone with that stupid package.

In terms of what they used, I have no clue what they used on mine, however I know I can wax it without issues (just waxed it last weekend)...however after one wash the car loses most of the "slickness" it had from the wax before the wash...might have something to do with it.

BenjiBoy650
08-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Waxes lose a lot of slickness after the first wash. Many waxes leave oily residue on the paint that washes off with the car wash...it's normal.