Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

2005 Honda Accord EX Starting Problems

30K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bncgraves 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2005 Honda Accord EX. The car has been having problems starting up at random times (not just in the morning, but also during other times) but the car seems to runs fine once it starts. Since the car runs fine, I didn't think it was the alternator. I had the mechanic check out the battery and the starter and he said those looked okay. Concurrently, a check engine light came on indicating that the O2 sensor was malfunctioning. My mechanic recommended that I switch it off the first time and see if it comes back on again because he said it could just be 'bad gas'. A few weeks alter, the same check engine light came on again and I promptly got it replaced - hoping that it would solve the starting problem too. Unfortunately, the car is still having problems. The mechanic also recommended I purchase fuel system cleaner to clean out the engine. There was some improvement soon after I added the fuel system cleaner but the problem is back again. I'm not too sure what else I should do. I'm considering taking it to a dealership to run some diagnostics.

#2 ·
Have you replaced the starter relay in fuse box under hood. There was a recall to replace.

#3 ·
sounds like a fuel issue (relay or pump). When the issue is happening while trying to start have someone smack the fuel tank with a hammer underneath a couple of times, if it helps than its fuel pump. Or the right way put a fuel pressure gauge (which no one besides mechanics or do it yourself ppl have) on the fuel line and see how much psi you have?

#4 ·
My 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid appears to be having a similar problem and it's been going on for over 3 years. The intermittent problem was beginning to drive me crazy. I'd drive to work in the morning without any problems and then frequently get "nothing" when trying to start the car to go home at the end of the day. There were dash lights, radio, etc but not even a click when turning on the starter. When trying to jump start the car, instant turnover. The dealership told me my 60 month battery was done for after only 37months and sold me a brand new very expensive 60 month battery. 38 months later, I was having the exact same problems again. Had the neighbor jump start the car and took it to Napa who checked the battery and was told there was zero cranking power left. I bought another brand new battery with much higher cranking power than the original battery. Something tells me there may be another problem causing the batteries to go bad because it's only been 2 months since the new one was installed. Came home from shopping the other day, several stops, no problems driving or starting until after I got home, stopped the car at the front door to unload. When done, went out to the car to move to the back of the garage and it won't start. Instrument panel lights up but ignition won't even click! Anyone have any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.