Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Gentex GNTX-177 AutoDim Mirror

Tags
gentex mirror
10K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Bruce Hawkins 
#1 ·
Picked up a GNTX-177 Auto Dim mirror w/compass and temperature and both harnesses (power/ground and temp + probe) for $5 @ Pull-A-Part :banana:

Christmas present for my sister since she is driving the 2000 Accord EX-VL. Wired one of these up in my Taurus and tapped into the moonroof power wire.

Any suggestions as to wiring this up in the Accord? Can I plug this into a perticular slot in the fuse box or is it better to tap into a keyed power source?

Going to go search for threads about grommets in firewall so I can pass the temp wiring through.

Have a camlock adapter in the mail from eBay.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
When my parents bought the car new, the dealer classified it on internal paperwork as a EX-VL (V for V6, L for leather). Not sure if that's widely used Accord lingo though?

#4 ·
Dos that have the std windshield clip (how it mounted to the glass)?
Id mount the senor in the finder near the door. The problem is direct sun is bad, radiant heat from the ground is bad, Heat soak from the car is bad, under the hood is bad, any ware has problems. I purchased an aftermarket in/outside temp gauge for my truck and the only place that I could think of, was near the door and inside of the finder...

#5 ·
I have a camlock adapter in the mail from eBay so I can mount this wedge mount mirror on the windshield's current camlock.

I'm going to mount the sensor like it is on a lot of cars: in front of the radiator somewhere around the header panel. As long as the car is in motion it should give a fairly accurate reading.

I am more concerned about where to get power for it in the Accord?

#9 ·
Someone had a picture of a Gentex 177 mirror at some point on a Gen 6 Accord and it cleared them fine.

So either moonroof power or door/window power. Now to find wiring diagrams and where it's best to tap the wire.

Found a good thread with with a grommet to poke through under the brake master cylinder...unless there's a better one.

#11 ·
Good call! A Haynes or a Chilton's should have the information I need. Have one for the Taurus, but it doesn't beat the service manual DVDs put out by Ford. Those are the :thmsup: .

#13 ·
So far I learned that the switch for the moonroof power: if you are using a test light, and have the car running, and probe each terminal, none will light up, however, 3 will, when you ground them out, either open, close, or vent the moonroof. Now thinking about tapping the cruise control switch as it's a keyed power source.

#15 ·
Ended up looking at the owners manual...decided to tap the power point wire since it and the radio were on the same fuse, and if it were to blow, the car wouldn't be rendered useless. Used the factory grommet as described in a thread on here to run temp sensor wiring, and grounded the mirror out under the dash. So for the pix...

(thumbnails, click for larger)

Tapped the White/Red wire for the power point

Passed the temp sensor wiring through this grommet under the dash.

There's the other end sticking out.

Voila, temp/compass mirror that cost $5 :) Just need to grab a wire cover from the junkyard (forgot it) to complete this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.