Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Honda Security Question

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  ethan2014 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I have a question regrading the security system on the 8th gen accord. Is immobilelize system also the security system of the car which mean when someone break into the car it will sound off the alarm. If not i want to buy the viper system, can you guys recommend me one that have alarm and remote-start. Thanks guys:thumbsup:

#2 ·
I'm pretty sure the imobilizer chip has to do with the ignition components of the car, not the security system, however if you're going to install a remote start its going to have to bypass the imbolizer chip somehow, without the chip in your key the engine wont start at all trust me I tried while tinkering with my switchblade key.

#6 ·
The 8G Accord has two separate systems; a security system and an anti-theft system. In layman's terms, the security system makes noise if the perimeter is breached and is intended to prevent theft of the car's contents. On the other hand, the anti-theft system is a defence against the car being started and stolen. In other words the security system is the bark and the anti-theft system is the bite. One can be broken and the other will still do it's job.

As for adding additional security, I recommend adding a stealthy, well-installed fuel kill switch.

Lastly, I recommend that you ignore those who will inevitably come along as say "if they'll want it, they'll take it". I'm sure those people still lock their doors and take their keys when leaving their vehicle, even though they claim the situation is hopeless.

You need to put up a good fight and not make it easier.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
U need something with a shock sensor and passive arming. Prestige, Dei/Viper or many others . If you worry about someone Stealing the car I would not bother with any aftermarket system it's near impossible to start the vehicle without the actual key.

I like idatalink modules a lot been using them since they came out. Dball will do the job as well.

#10 ·
Which spells out, a bad install.

75-80% of the system is in the install...no matter how good the product/tech is... if the installer cuts corners and/or does a hack job, I agree..one will succeed in making it an easier day for potential thieves

As others have stated...look for a reputable installer that has the credentials/feedback behind them. DEI, AutoPage, Clifford (which is the same as DEI now..just different model #'s) are good systems, but look for certified installers (even then, that can be deceiving, as Best Buy is authorized/certified...NO way would my car ever see one of those places).

Upper end DEI and AutoPage units have GPS tracking modules and iphone/android app support. This will cut some peoples insurance rate if you notify your carrier that you have such support--it equates to having LoJack but with more options at the user's end.

#11 ·
Jumping into this discussion late because I got my 2008 Accord literally 4 days ago and am still finding my way around the owner's manual (and the car). I like the car so far, but I was dismayed to learn that the Accord tops the list of cars most often stolen!

I came home and locked the car up, and sure enough, the security system is set as described on p. 217 of the owner's handbook. When folks in this thread say the anti-theft system, do they mean the ignition switch?

Given the Accord's popularity with chop shops, I'm just a bit nervous about whether this is enough. I understand that thieves deal with door and ignition locks by uprooting them with a dent puller. I note the suggestion about a fuel kill switch, and I'll consider that. I've thought also about VIN etching and some version of The Club.

Thanks for your thoughts.

#14 ·
Edumacate thyself, Sir!

The Accord is the most stolen? Yes, the 1996 Accord is the most stolen. You have an immobilzer....so worry less.

This isn't a movie from the 1970s where the thief reaches under your dash, pulls a bunch of wires down, then twists two wire ends together and starts the car.

#15 ·
All this really depends on what you are trying to defend against.

The standard immobilizer will keep the average joy rider at bay.

Snatch-and-grab will happen no matter what you do. So don't leave anything in sight.

If a chop shop wants your car then they can just load it on a flat bed regardless of any security system or immobilizer. That is when the GPS tracker becomes appealing.

#16 ·
Agree with above posts. Engine immobilizer is computerized where it needs to have a matched code frequency which matches only to the paired key which will allow car to start. Car will have to be towed away by thieves in order to become stolen. Yes, the Honda accord was once the most stolen car in the US but that was before engine immobilizer technology.

Steering wheel locks are no more needed mainly because of engine immobilizer technology. You can walk around in any parking lot and you will notice that cars no longer have steering wheel locks unlike 10 to 15 years ago. Just beware of wheel theft and smash and grab theft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.