Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Timing belt on v6 2006 accord

12K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  frenzal 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I am considering a diy on timing belt (Im at 112k miles) and possibly a valve adjustment at the same time. (ticks in the mornings when cold for a minute or so)

My question is.. Where is the best place to buy the parts needed to do all of this? Dealer? Online?

Also, for someone that has never done a timing belt job (me) but most likely has the ability. Is this that difficult of a job? I plan to use the haynes manual.

Thanks for all the input.

#2 ·
and possibly a valve adjustment at the same time. (ticks in the mornings when cold for a minute or so)
This is normal. It won't hurt to do since you'll have everything apart though.

My question is.. Where is the best place to buy the parts needed to do all of this? Dealer? Online?
Online.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM...fits=Model:Accord&vxp=mtr&hash=item23140e9b8b

Also, for someone that has never done a timing belt job (me) but most likely has the ability. Is this that difficult of a job? I plan to use the haynes manual.
It will help a ton that you have the manual. When I had my TL I considered doing it myself, but I know a honda mechanic that does work for cheap.

#7 ·
Hey ... Funny you mention that because my car need Timng belt work( I'm at 102k, dealer recommend 105k) and just recently I started noticing a ticking noise when I start my car in the mornings ass well...

Anyway I know for sure I'm going to buy the tensioner and water pump from the dealer because quality is much superior than aftermarket...

How much would labor cost to get the job done?

#8 ·
#9 ·
I disagree about buying on-line (especially from ebay!) such a vital component of the engine like the timing belt. Buying from a dealer guarantees that the part is OEM and not some cheap and questionable quality after market part from China or India. We all know and have experienced how products made in these two countries have sub-standard quality, questionable business ethics practices and no assumption of liability what so ever. I am sorry to say all this but it is the truth and it is widely documented on the internet. Think about what will happen if a timing belt that hasn't been built according to standards brake. Your engine is toasted. Now, if the same happens with an OEM belt then you have grounds for at least an investigation.

Just my 2 cents.

PS. buy as many fog lights you want from China. You ain't gonna kill your engine if they don't work in 2-3 months!

#11 ·
I disagree about buying on-line (especially from ebay!) such a vital component of the engine like the timing belt. Buying from a dealer guarantees that the part is OEM and not some cheap and questionable quality after market part from China or India.
So do you think in the link I posted that some company has gone to all of the trouble of making OEM stickers and packaging and sealing the items just to say they are OEM? And they somehow stamp the metal products with Honda insignia, and stamp the belts with the proper nomenclature, too?

#10 ·
.....from this sailor's point of view.......

.......Tony makes a big time valid point.....the timing belt on an interference engine is critical.

ez

#14 ·
Greg,

Just a word of caution here but I would have trepidation about ordering an allegedly "OEM" timing belt kit from eBay- I have had friends go down this route only to discover that the parts were chintzy knock-offs repackaged as OEM components :thumbsdow

I would play it safe and order the parts from a credible OEM Honda parts site. Hondapartsnow.com usually offers the best prices on OEM Accord parts.

Good luck man! :thmsup:

#15 ·
Greg,

Just a word of caution here but I would have trepidation about ordering an allegedly "OEM" timing belt kit from eBay- I have had friends go down this route only to discover that the parts were chintzy knock-offs repackaged as OEM components :thumbsdow
If you've seen the proof then I have no choice but to agree. I can't think of anything I have ordered from ebay that's OEM, so I don't have personal experience with it.

I would play it safe and order the parts from a credible OEM Honda parts site. Hondapartsnow.com usually offers the best prices on OEM Accord parts.
It would be nice if they offered a timing belt "package."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.