Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Fluttering noise around 60-65 miles/hr

25K views 94 replies 38 participants last post by  gfaccord 
#1 ·
I am long time forum reader but this is my first post in this forum. I purchased a 2013 Accord V6 EX-L couple of weeks ago and am noticing a slight fluttering noise as soon as I cross 60-65 miles/hr. This is very slight noise which is tough to hear if the music is on at a decent volume. The noise seems to go away if I put the car in "S"(Sport) mode.

I have taken it back to the dealer and they have confirmed the noise. They have tried various things and they think that they have narrowed it down to the noise cancellation in the VCM(variable cyclinder management). Dealer has also opened a service ticket with Honda and are waiting for Honda to get back to them. I have another appt next week because according to the dealer most of the Honda guys were out for the vacation and they wanted to spend dedicated time with the car.

Has anyone run into a similar issue with their car.
-------
2013 Honda Accord V6 EX-L

#69 ·
We have been experiencing this from day one as well. Really disappointing to hear that the torque converter replacement fixed the issue. What are the chances of Honda offering a 100k power train warranty in lieu of a major transmission component needing replacement in essentially a new car?

#72 ·
I wonder if somehow water is getting in the transmission. When I first bought my 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T there was a rash of Transmission failures the first two summers. The Torque Converter would fail and send metal thru the transmission via the fluid. The root cause was found to be that the grommet around the dipstick tube was not sealing correctly and allowing water from the AC unit to drip down the OD of the tube, pool at the grommet and then seep in and contaminate the fluid. The symptoms before failure were close to what you guys describe.

Jay

#75 ·
Fluttering Noise Around 60-65 miles/hr

Have a 2013 Accord with a very similar problem. After multiple visits to my dealer and getting a Honda rep involved it was the torque converter. Honda replaced the torque converter and the problem was solved. Have your dealer focus on the torque converter.

#77 ·
I have this problem as well so American Honda made the arrangement with my local dealer on this because local dealer is giving me the BS. It's best to let Honda HQ deal with these dealers. I drop my car off yesterday since the tech did a test drive and he notice it as well. They gave me a loaner- Chevy Cruze from Enterprise, which is crap lol

My question for those that had the dealer apply a fix- how long of a wait for them to get this fix?

#78 ·
Funny I had a Chevy Cruze from Enterprise also!

I dropped mine off on a Monday morning and they didn't finish until the end of the next day, but I am not sure when they started working on it. The service manager wouldn't let me pick up the car until he test drove it so I picked it up in the afternoon on the third day.

#80 ·
I have this sound its very light but can be heard with radio down. I have been able to mimic this sound by doing the following.

Between 62 and 66 mph
Check you mpg gauge and when it marks at 45 mpg is when I hear this similar noise.

Someone should try to mimic this with a V6 to see if others have this sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#81 ·
My V6 is making this flapping sound at highway speeds. Goes away with more throttle or a downshift. It is definitely related to VCM activating. I just wonder how it interacts with the torque converter to cause the sound. I also seem to have the same sound at lower speeds while cruising and encountering an incline. The noise is much louder in this situation, and very brief because it snaps back into V6 mode because of the extra load caused by going up a hill. It sounds chunkier, almost like a real rapid rod knock. I'll have to take it to the dealer, I suppose.

#88 · (Edited)
Just got a call from American Honda and they're saying that "This is a characteristic of the vehicle and no repairs are planned"

Guess it's time to find a good attorney...
midisync, I took mine in on columbus day. They told me my problem was the torque converter as well and that it was characteristic of the car. But my symptoms are different. In the range of 1800-2200rpm while accelerating from a dead stop I can hear a high frequency sound similar to brake squeal. It always happens when the coaching bars are light green and I can replicate it at any speed just by applying gas lightly and not heavy. Is there any way in getting Honda to realize this isn't characteristic considering our cars didn't do this at test drive?? I'm so p/o about this! I'm just under 19k miles.

#84 ·
My Honda does the same thing (2013 Accord V6 EXL). I have not brought it in to the dealership and knew from the start its the VCM system. When it kicks in, it sounds just like a snare drum. I just went on a trip and heard it the whole time. It's the VCM kicking on (noise) and it kicking off (no noise).

It looks like from reading this thread, Honda has no clue what is going on.

#85 ·
My 2013 Accord V6 EXL has been making this same noise for a few months (at least). She came off the line end of November 2012. Took three trips to the dealer and finally a test drive with one of their mechanics. He definitely heard the noise (as I know how to re-create it...happens between 1500-1800 rpms - generally around 55 or 65 mph - but can be other speeds). Initial response..."mechanical." Got it up on the lift and determined it was the torque converter. It's in the shop now. I expect it back tomorrow or Friday. They told me to replace the part, they would have to remove the transmission (at a minimum), possibly drop the whole carriage. Not happy about such major "surgery" on a 9 month old car....

#89 ·
looks like i'm not crazy after all. I have this issue since the first month I bought my car back in Feb 2013. I have been to multiple dealership and they give be BS saying that it's normal! I was like WTF, how is that normal. anyways, I have the same symptoms.. Mine is at RPM 1500-2000 and the MPG load has to be at 30mpg. I have '13 V6 touring at just above 10K miles. I'm going back to the dealer and I'm going to show them this thread.

Hey those of you that got the Torque Converter change, does it solve the issue?

#90 ·
I hear it too on the Hwy, at times, but I also get this weird high pitch whine when cruising at Hwy speeds with light throttle..typically when mpg gauge is all the way over and you are just barely touching the throttle. Goes away when engine loads up with more throttle. I have 10K on my V6 and this is the only negative so far.

#91 ·
I just took my 2014 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Automatic (HFP Package) in for the fluttering noise that was mentioned in this post. I purchased the car brand spanking new and within a couple days I noticed a slight flutter when the car was at 1,500 RPM. I didn't think much of it, but decided to take it in to just get it checked out. I took a road test with their head technician and the technician disregarded the noise as "air noise". This is my 3rd Accord, and I've never noticed a flutter like this before. So,... since the car was fairly new, I told him to make sure my service history had this issue noted in case something happened along the way. Well, the car has just over 9K miles and the fluttering is driving me crazy. It flutters more when the Eco button is on. When I'm on the highway at 60MPH, the fluttering is heard more now. The fluttering goes away when I slightly depress the gas pedal. Very weird. Let's see what the Honda dealership says. I hope Honda has this issue noted and resolved. I have a weird feeling that there's an issue with the Transmission.

#94 ·
Exactly my scenario. See my earlier post. The reason the fluttering goes away when you press the gas pedal more is the slight increase in RPMs. If you notice the noise happens at a certain RPM (1600 if I remember correctly) After my torque converter was replaced, the RPMs never dropped down to 1600, stayed around 1900 and the problem was solved. No more noise.

However around 28,000 miles (14 months after it was "fixed") starting coming back. Traded it in for a Dodge Charger AWD Hemi :grin

#93 ·
My moms 2009 Accord 4 cylinder EX had a fluttering noise when accelerating and driving on the freeway 65 mph for some time. It's gone now. She had gotten her brakes changed, tires changed, oil changed, and tires rotated and the sound is gone. I'm guessing one of these things fixed the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.