Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

How do I fix a P0505 code on a 00 Accord

27K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  blue_cheese 
#1 ·
Hello,

As part of my "thorough" maintainance on my 2000 Accord SE (4 cyl F23A1), I took out the IAC and Throttle body for a good cleaning with a combination of throttlebody and carb cleaner.

After putting everything together, the car is now messed up. After a start it goes to 2000 and lowers to 1000 really slowly, after I give any gas it starts bouncing between 1000-1500 RPM when in idle or park. After 2 days of driving it just lit up the CEL with a P0505 generic code and no other DTCs. with the CEL it having a hard time at around the 1500 RPM range when driving with it jerking and yanking when shifting at that point or just bouncing at 1K-1.1K in all shifter positions. With the CEL cleared it reverts to the earlier problem of messed up idle.

Clearly I may have shorted out either the stepper motor in the IACV or the rheostat in the TPS. Is there any other part that may be to blame?

Does anyone know the specifications for the TPS and the IACV, what are the normal operating resistance ranges for the TPS and what is the normal resistance for the stepper motor in the IACV?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
Or its not...
Google searching all points to replacing the IACV which was not the problem, but a rather expensive part for such an old car. The issue was the paper gasket I got from Honda as the replacement, it was not making a tight seal. I didn't clean the old gasket perfectly from around the bolt areas and it seems there was a gap letting air into the intake manifold and messing with the MAP sensor even when all screws are on really tight. After disassembling and completely cleaning off with sand paper and a new $4 gasket, problem is fixed.

BTW it seems the IACV throws a different specific code, not P0505.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.