Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Hard to get key in and out fo ignition

20K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  PapillonOne 
#1 ·
Hard to get key in and out of ignition

So this problem just started happing tonight. Went to insert my key into the ignition and had to use more force than usual. I though it was strange so I pulled the key out and that required more effort than usual. Usually the key just slides in and out, not it feels like the ignition opening is too thin and something is rubbing against it. I put the key back in and it starts up with no problem, still had to push it in hard to get it all the way in though. Get to the store and I really had to pull on it to get it out. Go shopping for a few and come back. The key would not go in the first few tries. It finally goes in with a good amount of force and I go straight home. Taking the key out at home yielded the same result. Anyone experience this problem before? I have a 2006 LX MT I4 btw.

#2 ·
Do you have another key to try? Preferrably one that came with the car but has hardly been used to isolate if it's the key or the key cylinder.

#3 · (Edited)
I had some problems with my key and ignition a few months ago and went straight to a locksmith who sprayed a special lubricant into the ignition opening... it was called Houdini 4 Way Lock Lubricant. It solved the problem and I was having trouble turning the key as well as the key sticking in the ignition. Hope this helps. You can buy the lubricant at locksmiths here in Orlando, FL. I would imagine it's for sale other places too.

#4 ·
I second the lubricant suggestion. DO NOT use any old grease or silicone. You essentially need something that will "clean" and lubricate without gunking up the tumblers in the lock cylinder. Look for a something that is specifically made for locks. It will most likely be a "graphite" compound of some sort. Wouldn't hurt to hit any other locks on the car, too.

Also, pay attention to the steering wheel position. It could be in a position that it puts extra force on the ignition when trying to remove the key. Move the wheel slightly to see if that makes a difference next time.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Locksmith said DO NOT USE graphite.....

The locksmith said NOT to use graphite as it does gum up the works.

He said to use something like the Houdini product, (which, BTW, he did not charge me for spraying into my ignition nor did he pressure me to buy) should I ever notice the problem again. Funny thing is while he did sell the product, (it was $8.00 for a large spray can), when I got home, I'd found that I'd happened to have purchased a nearly full can at an estate sale for $.50 just because I wanted a spray lubricant available should I need it. The locksmith told me that locksmiths no longer use graphite at all as it makes the lock cyclinders sticky and dirt sticks to them then.

#7 ·
#8 ·
So this problem just started happing tonight. Went to insert my key into the ignition and had to use more force than usual. I though it was strange so I pulled the key out and that required more effort than usual. Usually the key just slides in and out, not it feels like the ignition opening is too thin and something is rubbing against it. I put the key back in and it starts up with no problem, still had to push it in hard to get it all the way in though. Get to the store and I really had to pull on it to get it out. Go shopping for a few and come back. The key would not go in the first few tries. It finally goes in with a good amount of force and I go straight home. Taking the key out at home yielded the same result. Anyone experience this problem before? I have a 2006 LX MT I4 btw.
Hello LeaDxPainT,

did you find an working solution for this problem, please share with me. I have the exact problem at the moment.

Thanks very much in advance.

Dunn.

#9 ·
I had this problem quite a while ago. Stopped at a Locksmiths and he sprayed a product called Houdini Lubricant made specifically for ignition locks (told me to stay away from graphite products as they get all gummy.) Anyway it worked like a charm! Didn't charge me either but said I could buy a can of the Houdini spray for about $8.

Someone else did say something about making sure your key was good. I have had badly made keys cause me problems in the past so do give that option a look at. Hopefully you have one original key that is still good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.