Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Cruise Control steering wheel switch

78K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  Michael Ratzel 
#1 ·
Ok, gf took her car to the dealer to see what was acting up. Cruise main works but the SET switch just flickers on and off...acts as if the switch isn't locking or getting "caught". I told her is just the switch, only to find out the dealer agrees with my opinion.

After looking around I believe I found the part online from a Honda parts dealer, but my problem is I have no idea how to replace the SET switch on the steering wheel. Does anyone happen to have a tutorial or instructions on how to replace this switch. I know the dealer quoted $150 to do the work but I think thats too high. Her car is a 2003 Honda Accord LE

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
In my case, the problem is with the main cruise control switch. When I push it, the light comes on, then immediately goes off. If I hold it down, I can use the 'set' switch and the cruise control engages.

I *think* that's also the behavior the GP was describing.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen

#5 ·
I just clarified things with my fiance and she said that her main cruise was the switch acting up. She said if she held it down it would work, but really who can drive long distance keeping it held down.

Apparently the dealer was able to fix it, but that was another ordeal in itself.

#7 ·
I have this exact problem. The switch on the steering wheel that controls all the cruise functions does not engage. If you hold the switch down, then you have cruise functions. But when you release the button, all cruise functions are shut down because the switch doesn't stay down.

So I need to know how to fix this. First, where would be a place to find the parts? Secondly, how do you get the airbag out of the way like this post says? That doesn't sound like such an easy job. Has anyone got any more specifics on how to do the fix without mucking up the airbag or worse?

Thanks for your help.

Michael

#8 ·
I have (finally) ordered the switch for this, so at some point in the next couple of weekends I will be replacing the switch. I'll try to remember to take some pics.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
My current hobby is not collecting stamps. I'll be adding not collecting coins as soon as I don't have time.

#10 ·
Michael,

I ordered the part from www.magauto.com I had also looked at hondapartscheap.com, but they wanted 11 or 12 dollars shipping.

I don't know when I'll get to swapping the switch, but it has been sent.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Know what I like about atheists? I've yet to meet one that believes God is on their side.

#12 ·
Make sure to disconnect the battery before doing anything with the airbag.

#17 ·
No, I haven't; I can't seem to find any spare time to do much of anything. I suppose it's really more of a priority-setting problem than anything. When I do do it, I will remember to take pictures for anyone who does it afterwards, but it may be some time yet before I get to it.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Only a small percentage of male elephant seals ever get to mate -- most spend their lives growing fat while watching the action from a distance. All this goes to show, I think, that we're just TV and some beer from a total brotherhood of nature.

#16 ·
A couple pieces of advice on this job.

The two screws are Phillips head.

DO NOT try to back the screws all the way out. Just pull the screws back enough to get the switch unit out. There is a Mickey Mouse system of "keeping" the screws in place which is designed so you never have to reset the screws. The problem is that once you do pull the screws all the way out you ain't getting them back in without major headaches. Don't ask how I know.

PS: If anyone knows how to get these screws back "in" please let me know.

Best regards.

Michael

#19 ·
So, it looks like goofeyfoot and (maybe) Kelsen have done this. I need to do it to mine also. Can you guys verify that all that needs to be done to get the switch unit off/on is to (partially) unscrew the two screws behind it? I.e., I don't need to mess with the airbag at all. That's how I'm reading this thread, but I just want to make sure I'm correct before I try to do it.

#20 ·
Franklin:

I didn't touch the airbag at all.

Here is what you do.

The screw heads are Phillips. They are recessed way down inside the steering wheel. Just back the screws out a little at a time until you can pull the unit free. Don't back the screws all the way out or you will never get them back in.

Then plug in your new unit and put the screws back in.

I couldn't get mine back in so I took some long sheet metal screws, fitted them with a rubber hose "collar" to act as a big flexible washer. Then I screwed them in until the rubber hose snugged up nice and tight. The hose was model airplane fuel tube.

Worked like a charm.

Take care.

Michael

#24 ·
don't take the pos side off... always do neg first.....

#26 ·
So I am currently working on the process of replacing the Cruise Control Switch on my 04 Accord. I was able to unscrew the two screws behind the steering wheel just fine. Now I have the switch loose and should be able to just pull it right out....right? Well when I try that there is a little plastic "tab" in the upper left corner of the switch that seams to catch itself on the plastic airbag cover in the steering wheel just enough to not allow me to pull the switch all the way out. My question is, how to I get the switch completely out now so I can pop the new one in? It seems that others on this forum have done this and no one mentions this problem. Answers greatly appreciated.

#27 ·
Well, mine crapped out this weekend. Same thing, button won't stay depressed, but will work if I hold it.

I'll be looking at getting this part and trying this install myself. Anyone have any of those pictures mentioned?

#28 ·
Yeah, those pics would be helpful. I just ordered the part from hondapartsnow.com. The part# is 36770-SDA-A01. Im pretty sure it's the same for the 07 and 04 but double check. They have a cool feature where you plug in your VIN and it knows exactly what parts you need. Good luck! I'm still waiting for someone to explain how they got the old switch out.

#29 ·
I checked it out at hondapartsnow.com, but I wanna see if I can find it cheaper. I tried that Magauto.com and can't seem to find it. Actually, can't seem to find it at any of the sites for an 07 EX. It's not even coming up as an option.

#30 ·
I've had this same problem for awhile. I've resorted to pushing the button down and jamming a credit card next to the button to hold it down when I am on a long drive, but I'd like a more permanent solution. I looked around alot of sites a few months ago and found very few places that stock it. I dont recall how much it was but it definently wasn't cheap.

Here's what I'm thinking: If I take the switch out, there should only be three or four wires, right? It shouldn't be too hard to fugure out which two are the power. Why not just splice those two together and slap the broken switch back in? The only possible downside I can see to having the cruise control constantly powered on is that the cruise control light will always be on but I could care less about that. And the upside? its FREE!

I am going to try this out when I get a chance. In fact, there's only two screws so I'm going to go take a look now.

#32 ·
If you're going through the trouble to pull the switch, why not replace it? The only problem with this method is that you have no way to disable the cruise system if it has a serious problem (although unlikely).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.