Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Removing scratch marks from lower bumper

20K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  jang859 
#1 ·
Someone was probably backing out of a parking spot and brushed the rear quarter panel on the drive side. So they scuffed the plastic lower bumper and above that being the metal body. I ran my finger over scratches on the metal and it is is not deep. In fact I don't really feel any depth to it. I was planning on using something like 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and light polishing compound like Meguirs or 3M. I think the Turtle stuff is too aggressive. Maybe Turtle wax or Meguirs scratch and swirl remover.

I don't have a buffer so I was going to do this by hand.

This is the technique I was going to use, please refer to the photos : --> http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4216365.html Would you guys recommend this method?

But for the plastic bumper how do I clean up the scratches and scuff marks. Do I do the same thing and use more aggressive polishing compound?
Any good products that someone could recommend?

#2 ·
how deep are your scratches? i know you said you ran your fingers over the scratches, but you need to run your fingernails over the scratches. if your fingernails catch, then you'll probably have to wetsand (which isnt something i would do, but if you're up to it then go ahead). if it doesnt catch, you can probably get away with just polishing or compounding the scratches.

in my experience, theres no difference in how you approach scratches on metal and plastic body parts.

i've never tried to do any polishing/compounding by hand since i have a buffer so i cant really recommend any products.

are the scratches past the clearcoat/paint? if they are, then you're out of luck.

#3 ·
Can't recommend anything until I see pictures of the damage. If the damage is to bad it may look worse after repair. Clear coat is very thin and can be sanded through very easily.

I1:)

#4 ·
Here are some pics. The reflection in the pic should not obscure the scratches. I ran my finger over the scratches and I do not feel any depth to them at all. It looks like just the clear coat except for the plastic bumper below. I took it to a body shop and they quoted me $150. They would polish/sand as much as they could the panel above the plastic bumper and then paint the plastic quarter panel below. The plastic quarter panel, definitely needs to be painted. I figure if they have to paint the bumper then might as well let them polish the panel above. I have a 4 1/2" angle grinder but no polishing wheel and no tools for spray paint.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

#5 ·
That should buff out. Try some rubbing compound or the scratch and swirl remover by hand. Then wax the area.....you should be OK.

DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT sand the area.

#6 ·
I agree it should buff/polish out. But like I mentioned before, if they are going to paint my bumper, then I might as well leave them to polish the panel above and just let them do a proper job instead of me messing with it. If it was just the panel above then I would tackle it.

#7 ·
I just came back from getting another quote at another place. The guy told me that polishing/sanding may not be enough. He most likely will have to paint the area and blend it in with the rest of the panel. He will try to polish/sand but he said if he goes through for me not to say that he did not warn me. Either way will try to polish as much as he can and if not then paint .. about $300.

#8 ·
From the looks of it, the bumper definitely needs to be repainted because there isn't any paint at places on the bumper. But on the quarter panel, the scratches doesn't look deep enough. That looks like it can be buffed out.

#9 ·
The 1/4 looks buffable if you can live with the dent..:dunno:

Repaint on the bumper is the only way to properly repair.

#13 ·
Most people wouldn't notice:yes: I notice because that's what I do;)..
You will know it is there too. Just find out what it would cost to fix it all and then make your decision:thmsup:

#12 ·
man, that SUCKS! I hate the fact that people find it acceptable to just hit someone else's car and drive off. It really pisses me off (and it has happened to me alot unfortunately, people hitting my car and leaving of course). Sorry to hear that man hope you get it fixed soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.