Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Accord 2003 Passenger Door Child Lock

15K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  mrs.mcquirter 
#1 ·
I bought an Accord 2003 Coupe. If someone tries to open the passenger door with the lock on, the door cannot be opened from inside even though you remove the lock. You have to open it from the outside. Any way to remove this kind of child lock mechanism??

Thanks for your inputs!

#2 ·
There is a lock on the end of the door. Open the rear door and look for a rectangle switch. Up is for lock and down is for unlock. I think that what you are reffering to....

#7 ·
So what kind of lock are you talking about? I just walked out to my car to see what you're talking about, and the coupes do not have a child lock at all. That feature is usually reserved for the backseats only in sedans. Is the lock you're referring to an electrically-operated lock or manually-operated lock? Take a picture of the lock and post it here so we can help you.

#8 ·
Don't know why a coupe would have a child lock at all, don't think they came with them at all. Check your owner's manual it should have some stuff on child locks.

#9 ·
Coupes don't have child locks on the latches.
If it won't open from the inside, the release cable probably broke where it attaches to the handle. Cheap soft plastic.

#10 ·
Take off the door panel and check the cable connecting the handle to the latch mechanism.

Either the cable broke at the interior handle, or it broke at the latch mechanism. Or, someone replaced the door lock actuator and did not have the latch with the cable in the correct position when they reassembled the latch mechanism.

So how good are you at do-it-yourself activities? If you are handy, I can provide you with instructions for removing the latch mechanism to check the operation of the cable (if it is not broken at the interior handle).

#11 ·
It seems I am having problem with actuator on the driver side. Can you direct me to the right thread which discusses on how to go about this one (DIY). I tried to search DIY in this forum but not luck yet. Thanks!

#14 ·
I think you are misunderstanding the function of the door lock. When the lock is engaged, pulling on the handle will not open the door.

I think I have seen on some ford vehicle where the door will still open from the inside even if the lock is engaged.

#16 ·
Your wording sounds very confusing btw.

So, what you're saying is that when you unlock the passenger door, the door unlocks, but you can't open it from the inside? If that's the case, when you pull on the passenger inside door handle to open the door, you should feel some resistance like you should on the driver's side. If it feels loose, then the handle is not connected to the rod that opens the door. If it's anything like my 5th gen Accord, you can remove the door handle without taking off the door panel and reconnect the handle to the rod. See if that works.

#19 ·
After doing work on my own 03 Accord, I have become an expert at removing door panels, doing a navigation conversion, speaker and stereo removal and installation, changing out the door lock actuator, and most recently, removing the rear bumper cover to install LED tail lights (which is a work in progress since I received a defective set...so the OEMs had to be reinstalled until I get get another set!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.