Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

revving engine in park

6K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  bnikanor 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
ok i was in park , my car was already warm , i was jump starting my dads car and he told me to rev the engine i did, i had it on 2-3 rpms (the number 2-3) on the dash for about 2 minutes.... the car drives normal but i dunno my stomach isnt normal about it so im asking you guys , do you think this caused damage to the engine?

i never redlined it and does the rev limiter stop the car from doing potential gear spur damage?

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
Limiting the redline in park is done, AFAIK, to keep from overheating the torque converter and/or transmission fluid. What's gear spur damage? I've never heard the term before.

#13 ·
As usual, Edaccord08 hit the nail on the head. Load. If there is no load on the engine you should not rev the engine too high. That resistance keeps all the moving parts tight. With no load and high rpm, the engine sort of rattles it's self on the inside. In neutral, 2,000 rpm is no problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.