Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Transmission flush question

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  TUBHMOOBVAJ 
#1 ·
Hi,
I bought my 2000 Accord LX (4cyl ; vtech) @ 126k miles from private seller who got all oil changes + service done at her local dealership. I have put in timing belt, water body, necessary belts, had throttle body cleaned and put in new engine air filter.

I know the only major weakness of this model is the transmission and I want to do everything to increase its longevity.

QUESTION > When to do transmission fluid flush and new fluid replacement?

QUESTION > Is it ok to flush with cheapest transmission fluid and top off with Honda Recommended fluid ?

QUESTION > What rpms + mph does your transmission shift in the 4 gears (for 4 speed auto)?

Thanking in advance,
ATK

#2 ·
Answer: Never do a transmission flush. The flush can clog the internal transmission filter and cause irreparable harm on the transmission. Tranny fluid should be changed approx every 15K with Honda Z-1 or equivalent.

#3 ·
See answer below.

Hi,
I bought my 2000 Accord LX (4cyl ; vtech) @ 126k miles from private seller who got all oil changes + service done at her local dealership. I have put in timing belt, water body, necessary belts, had throttle body cleaned and put in new engine air filter.

I know the only major weakness of this model is the transmission and I want to do everything to increase its longevity.

QUESTION > When to do transmission fluid flush and new fluid replacement?

ANSWER: If you are not sure when the ATF was changed by the previous owner, then you want to drain & refill 3 times (with some driving between each D & R).
Otherwise, you drain and refill 1 time every 15 K miles.

QUESTION > Is it ok to flush with cheapest transmission fluid and top off with Honda Recommended fluid ?

ANSWER: You could but, I wouldn't.
How much does it cost per drain/refill with cheap fluid ?
Honda DW-1 is $5.75/qt and you need 3 qts per drain and refill.
Is the saving worth the risk of something go wrong later ?

QUESTION > What rpms + mph does your transmission shift in the 4 gears (for 4 speed auto)?

Thanking in advance,
ATK

#4 ·
When to do transmission fluid flush and new fluid replacement?
If you dont know the dealers history of changing the ATF, change it ASAP. Drain and refill with 3 quarts of new ATF is the easiest way to maintain these transmissions. Repeat 2 or 3 times for a more complete replacement. You can safely do a cooling line flush on these 4 cyl cars. Do a search here or on you-tube for that procedure. Do not do any flushes that involve adding chemicals or externinally pressurizing the transmission.

Is it ok to flush with cheapest transmission fluid and top off with Honda Recommended fluid ?
I have heard of this being done, but I would just stick with Honda ATF or something better. I use Valvoline Maxlife. Lots of info here on alternate ATF if you search.

What rpms + mph does your transmission shift in the 4 gears (for 4 speed auto)?
The rpms and mph shift points all depend on the amount of throttle applied.

#6 ·
As nehonda wrote:
"If you dont know the dealers history of changing the ATF, change it ASAP".

If you think your ATF is still new then do a color comparison.
Put a drop of old ATF on a piece of paper towel then put a drop of new ATF next to it.
If the 2 drops are close enough in color, then maybe you can wait till next oil change.

#7 ·
I have always been advised never to a transmission flush! Due to the high pressure and stirring up metal debris that has settled over time at the bottom of your transmission. You could always due a drain and fill which doesn't replace 100% of the fluid but about 1/3.

#8 ·
Drain the tranmission, fill it, drive it for a day, drain it again and fill it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.