Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

6-Disc CD Changer stopped working, making clicking sound

196K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  shayzzravezz 
#1 ·
While on a road trip recently, the factory 6-disc CD changer in my 2003 EX stopped working. It was playing fine, until I put a CD in that it apparently didn't like and would not play it. All it would do is make the clicking sound over and over like it was trying to load the CD.

I ejected the offending CD, and switched back to the CD that I had been listening to prior, and it would not play either. All further attempts to play a CD after this have resulted in the same clicking sound.

Has anyone else had this problem?

#2 ·
I'm not quite sure if this helps, because my CD player does not work at all in its entirety. I can't even get mine to CD mode. But what you can probably do is maybe reset the radio? I'm not an expert but I would probably try that.

#3 ·
I've only had two Honda changers, but they both had the same issue which I resolved in the same manner. Sometimes, the processor gets jammed up while going through its sequence. The jam screws up the sequence and confuses the "brain" of the unit. The best remedy is to locate an operation it can complete, then let it do that until the end.

Start with CD #1 and repeat for all CDs. Expect 30 to 60 seconds for each operation.

Press load/eject. If it ejects a CD, remove it, then wait for the unit to stop cycling. If it wants a CD to be loaded, put one in. Make sure you let the changer come to a complete rest before pressing any other buttons or before performing any other operations.

All you're trying to do is give the changer the sequential command it's waiting for. It's either a Honda thing or a Clarion thing.

- T

#5 ·
Thanks Tito! I think that's what happened. I ejected all of the CDs that were in the changer, powered it down, then started it back up again with a fresh CD and it worked!

#6 ·
Mine jammed. cds wouldnt come out. I switched to the radio and couldnt get back to the CD menu ever again. I took it all apart, thought I fixed the jam, Never worked again. I was too cheap to buy another cd unit so I just threw in a AUX input.

#8 ·
:confused: How do I remove my 6 disc changer from my 2002 honda accord? It stopped working and I need to take it out I just cant figure out how to take the dash apart. Please help......:thumbsup:
You are in the wrong forum if you have a 2002 Accord. Try the 6th Gen forum. If no help there, use google. On the 6th Gen Accord, I think all you do is pull the trim from around the stereo, but search for the correct answer.

#10 ·
Cd Changer Jammed

OK,I am the proud owner of a 2003 Honda Accord EX-L that was my Mom's. I slid a Chicago CD into the 6 CD Changer, and enjoyed listening. However, when I tried to eject it, it would not come out. Just lots of grinding noises. Tried changing to other CD's. No luck. Don't know if it is software confused, as others have mentioned, or if one of the CD's is warped and jammed (this 106 degree summer is frying everything.) Any help on how to remove the unit from the dask would be greatly appreciated.

#11 ·
OK,I am the proud owner of a 2003 Honda Accord EX-L that was my Mom's. I slid a Chicago CD into the 6 CD Changer, and enjoyed listening. However, when I tried to eject it, it would not come out. Just lots of grinding noises. Tried changing to other CD's. No luck. Don't know if it is software confused, as others have mentioned, or if one of the CD's is warped and jammed (this 106 degree summer is frying everything.) Any help on how to remove the unit from the dask would be greatly appreciated.
I guess your stereo really enjoys Chicago since it won't let you have it back. Disconnect the battery for awhile and re-connect it. Make sure you have your theft code handy to re-enter. Cutting off the power will cause the mechanism to reset and you might be able to eject the CDs. Press and hold the Eject button until it beeps and this will cause all CDs to be ejected. If this doesn't work, then your changer is pretty much dead like so many others. You can replace the CD/Tuner core by contacting OEMCarAudio on eBay.

#12 ·
Figured I'd bump this thread a little with my own problem-

My vehicle:

>2003 Accord coupe EX
>Stock OEM navigation unit w/ 6 disc CD changer

My 6 disc changer is throwing the ERR / ERROR code at me and no longer functioning as of last night. Laaaaammmmeeee.

I've done some reading here and there and come up with these conclusions:

1. There may be a TSB out for the '03 changers? (TSB 03-017?)
2. I might be able to just replace the CD changer / tuner module.
3. I can attach a external CD changer and hook that to my AUX input and just never use my indash CD player again.

Note: I have already attempted a quick fix by resetting the unit via pulling the fuse, as well as disconnecting the battery.

Then there's this possibility:

I can replace/upgrade my stock navigation head unit and navigation disc tray (in trunk / navigation DVD with an '06-'07 set up.

Question:

If I were to go with upgrading my entire navigational unit would I just need to replace the head unit, navigation tray/DVD? (I wouldn't use XM other than for an IPOD so I wouldn't install the antenna.)

Would I have to do any other harness wiring or anything, or should it be a straight swap of upgraded parts since I already have a navigation unit installed?

Anyway, don't mean to threadjack, but at least I'm keeping it alive. Any input would be great! For now I'll just listen to the sound of my car.

#13 ·
So since my changer is kaput I'm ordering a USA spec dealy-doodad.

Should I order a new cd changer from this OEMCARAUDIO guy on Ebay while I'm at it? Since I have to pull out the navi unit to get to the AUX port I figured maybe I could attempt to swap out the changer.

Any input would be great.

#15 ·
If you are pulling the head unit to install the iPod kit, then I would definitely contact OEMCarAudio on eBay and replace the CD/Tuner core at the same time. You don't want to do the same installation twice. Easier to do it all at one time. Since you don't have XM, I would get the Dice Electronics Silverline iPod kit, much more reliable than the USASpec.

#14 ·
I've noticed the same problem as the OP with my car. I haven't used my CD changer for awhile though, because I have an AUX input. It's a rarity if the CD changer starts playing the CD that I want... if it doesn't, it'll just spit the disc out.

#16 ·
Disc Changer Problem

I had the same problem with my unit in my 2004 Accord and decided to replace it.
Honda wanted like $1200 for a new unit!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I got it from the same eBay seller you are talking about?

This one right?

http://stores.ebay.com/OEM-Car-Audio-612-298-4989?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I was actually able to call them and they helped me get the right one.
They seemed to know alot about car stereos and sent me a video that helped me to install it myself:

Installed they're unit about 3 years ago and she's still changing discs like the day she was born.

:banana:

#17 ·
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I've been putting this off too long. I should do it before the parts become even more rare.

I'm gonna download that YouTube vid though, save it to my HD. Thanks man!

#18 ·
Remove Stuck CDS from Honda Accord

After trying all tricks stated on various posts, I removed the CDs stuck first by removing the complete Radio /CD system from the front panel. You can get instructions on how to get the radio/CD unit on youtube.

Once you get the unit out, you have to remove the top plate and then push the CDs out one by one thu the front loading door. It is little tricky but you can get all your CDs out this way.

Pama

#20 ·
My 6 CD changer (trunk mount) recently stopped working after I changed the CDs. I could insert the CDs and eject the CDs, but they would not play. I searched for a replacement Honda CD changer, and the an aftermarket CD changer and found that they are no longer manufactured. I was ready to give up and get a newer single CD player with all sorts of features I would never use until I read this thread.

I disconnected the battery under the hood for a few minutes and then reconnected the battery. Problem solved! My 22 year CD changer is back and working properly.

#21 ·
While on a road trip recently, the factory 6-disc CD changer in my 2003 EX stopped working. It was playing fine, until I put a CD in that it apparently didn't like and would not play it. All it would do is make the clicking sound over and over like it was trying to load the CD.

I ejected the offending CD, and switched back to the CD that I had been listening to prior, and it would not play either. All further attempts to play a CD after this have resulted in the same clicking sound.

Has anyone else had this problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.