Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

auto to 5speed swap

35K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Petey3 
#1 ·
Has anyone done this? My AT is failing and I want to know if its is cheaper to replace the AT or just do a 5 speed swap. Could someone help me out its a 4banger non -vetec ex 01 accord

#2 ·
6th Gen A/T to M/T Swap. The other link replace the 5th gen parts with 6th Gen and your GOOD to go.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1229014
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1237137

I priced out a F23A1 AT and its gonna cost me like 800$ + Shipping

So far into my 5 speed swap I got close to that or even more..

- Picked up a F23A1 MT Tranny, MT Pedals Assembly, Tranny Mount, Shifter w/ cables. 175$
- Picked up a Exedy Stage 1 Clutch with Pressure Plate ( rated for 300 HP ) and a Light weight flywheel for 300$
- Clutch Master And Slave Cylinder was like 100$
- New Axles cost me like 150$ Used axle with 1/2 shaft was 100$
- ECU from a 99 MT accord was 125$
- I still need M/T Motor Mounts and Clutch Hose. Thats gonna be another 200$
- Then to get it installed 400$
- Then you need a different starter, I was given one.

So I think your better off just buying a new tranny.

#5 ·
99 honda accord ex four door 4cyl 2.3L

I got a 99 Honda accord ex four door 4cyl 2.3L with four speed automatic. It don't have reverse it whines like hell kinda like a manual trans not all the way in gear with clutch let out. The drive gears are shifting hard. I was told was a shift solenoid bad but they are over $100 each set. And I don't want to buy them and it not fix the problem and I'm out of a lot of money. It also makes same sound sometime when started in park. You gotta knock in drive then to N then it shuts up. I hate automatics anyways and want to change to 5speed manual also. I need to know is it just an unbolt and remove auto trans and mounts and bolt the manual trans on ? Does everything line up or does anything else have to be altered ? I k low I gotta buy the lines and slave and master cylinders and the pedal. But is that all? Seen someone say something about a computer u gotta change I don't know what that would be for its just reverse lights. To hook up on manual trans right ?

Everything I can find about the 98-02 accords automatic trans had a build factory mistake and Honda only recalled the 00-02 models even known the 98-02 are all the same trans and had the same factory build problem something about a bearing somewhere in side the trans that the automatic trans is only good for 50,000 miles sometime more. I love my Honda and want to keep til rust eats so bad it falls apart

#6 ·
If you read the above links posted by Robert, they give a good how-to on the 5 speed swap. The manual ECU can be hacked and used per the how-to, but you will have a CEL light due to the automatic trans not being connected. If you use a manual ECU that issue is eliminated.

A slight correction on your "recall" statement for future reference. Honda extened the transmission waranty on 2000 and 2001 Accords (service bulletin 02-062) but there was no recall.

#7 ·
So I did the auto to manual swap about 6 months ago. Everything is good with the exception of the speedo, odo, and cruise control. I swapped the tranny, clutch, ecu, and harness from the tranny to the ecu. Will the above directions work for me or do I need to change out the instrument cluster also?

#8 ·
99 honda accord ex four door 4cyl 2.3L automatic

I'm gonna do the swap but found a wreaked 98 same car I got except its 5speed manual. I'm wondering how hard its gonna be to swap out since I got the whole car for parts . And if I change the wire harness will I still have to do all kinds of rigging or what. Also does the wire harness seperate for trans and motor or is it all one . And where is the ecu I need to change. This is my first Honda I've ever owned and I love it except the automatic trans problems I got. I get it swamped out I'm gonna keep til the wheels rust and fall off. There's something about a Honda I love dunno if its the comfert or the power or the handle of roads

Also mine is 2.3L 4cyl without vtec wond how hard will be to add vtec to it. I'm gonna add super charger and nitrous just for sound and looks. I really wanna get looks and sound on my Honda like the black accords was on 2fast 2ferrious . That's what I'm after the looks and sound and for show

#13 ·
that wing added 100 hp and 200 tq.... :lmao:

#14 ·
I just bought an 94 hind a accord four door five speed manual has the 2.2L . Then I got the 99 Honda accord 2.3 four door automatic then the 98 accord four door five speed I'm doing the swap with for 99 accord, but looking at my books the 2.2 in 94 is same motor then my 2.3 . Except bore. I didn't know that. Anyone got a spare hood and hinges they would sell for a 94 four door accord ex ?

#15 ·
Finally got it right

So after about a year I finally figured out why my speedo, tach, and odo weren't working. Turns out there was a wierd short in the 3 wires coming out of the VSS. I don't know how much time it took me to figure it out. Eventually I figured it out though. I even replaced the Gauge cluster with one out of a MT and then kept the auto circut board with the orig odometer so I have the real mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.