Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Easy way to play music via bluetooth

90K views 84 replies 32 participants last post by  darklite41 
#1 ·
I'm sure I'm not the first to do this but I picked up a new Blackberry Stereo Gateway on eBay for only $20 shipped.

What this little treasure does is it allows you to stream music from not only a blackberry but almost all bluetooth cellphones including the iPhone and iPod Touch. Any device that supports bluetooth A2DP.

The back has two connections, one for auxiliary and one for usb power (you can use a regular mini-usb car charger for this).

I personally use an iPhone so all I had to do is turn on the bluetooth on my phone, add the device and it automatically connected. So now when any audio is playing through my phone, it plays through my speakers crystal clear. I haven't experienced any issues with this so far.

What's really neat is that when I'm listening to music and someone is calling me, it fades out the music and my phone rings. I can then pick up the phone without hearing the person in my speakers and continue with my conversation. When I'm done with my call, it fades the music back in and continues to play.

I can't be certain of this because I haven't tested it but from what I've put together from researching online is that if you use a bluetooth headset WITH this stereo gateway, it will still transfer the call to the headset. I assume the phone knows that what type of device the gateway is and that it doesn't have a mic. I'll try and test this soon though.

Overall it worth every penny because I used to have to pull the auxiliary cable out of the phone every time I was getting a call or whats even worse is trying to charge the phone and listen to music at the same time. You're left with cables connected at the top and bottom. For $20 you can't go wrong.

Pro's:
- Much cleaner setup
- No cables dangling
- Music fades in and out for calls
- Only $20!

Con's
- Uses up the charger outlet in the console unless you get a dual usb charger

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you not just use an auxiliary from your phone to your aux. port? That's what I do with my Droid Incredible with Pandora Radio application. When I get a text or call, it stops the music and plays the tone for whatever is coming through.

But I think I see what you are saying about the pros since you are talking about bluetooth. So it does seems pretty useful, I don't use bluetooth myself but I see where this would be good.

#3 ·
Yeah you can do that but its just more convenient. For me, if someone calls and its still plugged in they can't hear me until I unplug the aux cable. I also like to put my phone in door cubby. It basically just turns your phone into a remote control for your music or whatever your playing.

#6 ·
Really. No USB power in my coupe that I have found yet. Definitely worth checking out.

Thanks!

#13 ·
Sure. He has more too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140468673000&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I thought the quality of music was not as good using a blue tooth connection over the aux? What do you all think.
That's what I thought but I figured for 20 bucks, its worth a shot. I honestly can't tell the difference between using the wire vs bluetooth and I'd honestly say I'm a very pick person when it comes to sound... or anything for that matter :thmsup:

What's neat was I was walking from the gym to my car listening to music through my headphones and when I got in the car and turned it on, it continued playing my music since it automatically pairs with the device. Very cool.

#10 ·
I thought the quality of music was not as good using a blue tooth connection over the aux? What do you all think.

#12 ·
i may have to get one of these. Looks like my ipod going bad now

#14 ·
Thanks OP. I just ordered one from your Ebay link. I almost bought this today from Amazon for $35 so it was a good thing I waited. :)

For $20, I'm willing to try and see how it is. Especially since I don't know how this will work with my OEM Navi's HFL.

#19 ·
Sure. I'm excited to test it out.

#16 ·
so.... i guess the sound quality is just as good as using aux or is it better?

#20 ·
Bluetooth A2DP sound is just as good as Aux in my opinion . . . The Blackberry BT Gateway actually works better for me because I hate having my phone tied down with wires. Add in the fact that when you have your phone in a case, the AUX port can be tricky to access (especially with my Droid Incredible case).

This is confirmed to be the ONLY device I found that played well simultaneously with the HFL (and my Droid Incredible at least). See my review post linked below. :)

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53579&highlight=bluetooth

Glad to hear others are having success with the unit. +1 for the OP's comment about buying a splitter for the center console outlet. I picked one up at The Shack for $7. I opted for one that split off using wires like this:

http://cdn.myradiostore.com/mrs.pri...hotDisplay/wmep9419-xtfe9411/2041_4060273.jpg

I had originally purchased a splitter that was contained in a plastic housing that would sometimes shake loose from the socket.

#21 ·
I just received mine today. Will be testing it and posting my impression tomorrow.

#22 ·
ok...received my yesterday
took all of 1 1/2 minutes to sync iphone 4 to gateway
iphone 4 connected to bluetooth in 2009 honda accord v6 ex-l
sounds just as good as aux
can receive and make calls from iphone and car while connected to gateway
sound receeds when a call comes in, continues when call is finished
this rocks for $35 via Amazon!!

better than paying $200+ for a 3rd party unit to connect into head unit of car
now if blackberry were to be nice ....they would update the firmware to allow for AVRCP protocol in addition to A2DP....then we can control and see music info on car nav screen and control via steering wheel and dash buttons!!

#24 ·
Received mine for $19.50 shipped and it works great!! I was nervous at first because the initial sync had static but after being connected for 5 seconds it went away. What i also enjoy is that the notifications no longer interfere like they did using the AUX cable. Thanks OP for the suggestion and Ebay link!! I received it within 3 days.

#25 ·
i may need to pick this up. I already have a usb car charger so this would work great.

#27 ·
Had mine paired and plugged in last night and tested it during this morning's drive to work. Here are my impressions so far:

1) The set up is very easy. Pair the unit to your phone and plug the aux cable in. Get a car charger with micro-usb plug (I got my car charger for $1 from meritline.com and used a micro-usb cable from one of my cameras).

2) The sound is good but can be better. It's not CD quality, at least with my Iphone 4 and stock audio system. I would say it's on par with FM quality.

3) I noticed pretty good bass but disappointing highs. I even turned on the EQ on my Iphone to "boost treble" and that didn't seem to change much.

4) The volume is low. My normal listening volume with good CD is 8-10 and 12-14 for AM. I had the volume at 20 this morning and I would say it equates to about volume 6 of a good CD. Not sure if there's anything I can do about this as I already had the volume on Iphone at max.

5) During my 15 minute drive this morning, my Iphone 4 battery went from 97% to 95%. I need a longer time drive time to get a better feel for battery drain but for now it seems pretty good.

6) The sound from my mp3's and Pandora radio seemed about the same quality.

7) I'm wondering if a better Aux cable will improve the sound. Will have to try it and see.

8) HFL works fine. When receiving or making calls, the units mutes your music and brings it back when you end the phone call.

9) The unit automatically pairs when you start your car (when it receives power).

Overall, for the investment ($20 for the unit from ebay and $1 car charger), I'm very happy with this wireless solution. Everything is tucked inside of my armrest for a clean look.

Reactions: dgates01
#28 ·
thanks for the review. I was always under the impression that bluetooth audio was not the same as aux or the in case with the ipod digital out aux. I may just stick with my current set up for now and just save up for a ipod setup to the stock radio.

#29 ·
I never had my Iphone connected thru Aux cable before so I'm not sure how this setup compares but since the unit is sending the music thru Aux port, I'm pretty sure the quality of sound is similar if not the same. I'm just very picky when it comes to sound quality.

#30 ·
digital out on the ipod sound just like a cd. It sounds better then just using the aux port.

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-miniusb.html

This is what I have now and the sound quality is great. Its the only reason why I did not go with anything else right now. someone else posted to a china site that had aux usb. I just ordered one of them and will post the sound quality of that when i get it and see how it compares to the send station

#31 ·
I did consider that option as well for the better sound quality. However, I didn't like the fact I have to plug it in every time I want to listen to my music. I'll sacrifice sound quality for being wireless.

#32 ·
ah I see. i have an ipod classic so I just plug in and play. But wanted another option for my phone also. If i could find a way to do digital out on my phone i would be set.

If anyone has and android phone check out PowerAMP. Its one of the best music players on the android.

#33 ·
I wonder if there is a way to have my phone start playing the music as soon as it gets paired with this unit instead of manually starting pandora or ipod.

Is there an app for that? :naughty:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.