Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Radio and LCD display turn on by themselves

46K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  calebtheruiz 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I have a 04 Accord LX 4 cylinder sedan. It has 120K. The battery is 6 month old. Recently I found the factory radio and LCD display turn on by themselves, when the car is parked and locked without car key inside. :(

I tried to turn off the radio when I turn off the car. But it didn't help. The radio still turns on by itself. I found that if I change the volume to zero, then the radio stays off. But LCD display turns on and off by itself every few seconds with backlit. Both radio and LCD operate normally when I drive.

Can someone tell me what is the problem? How to fix it? Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

#2 ·
Any input? :(

There is apparently a more serious circuit problem. I garaged the car for 5 days around Christmas. After that I couldn't start it, the battery is drained. I don't believe the LCD back lit can drain the battery that quickly.

I had to recharge the battery. Any pointer on how to go about fixing it? Thanks.

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
freeflight,

Did you find a solution? I have noticed the same problem with the radio turning on and the screen flashing after I turn off my '07 Accord. I did not drive for 2 days and found my battery had drained so I needed a jump start.

I tried changing the battery but this did not stop the radio from turning on. Next I pulled the fuse for the radio so my radio no longer works, but the battery has also not drained again.

#5 ·
Hi CivilMA,

I haven't got a chance to fix it. After some research, I found this is a common problem with Accord. :(

In your case, the radio is clearly the culprit. What works for me is
1. turn the volume to zero
2. turn off the radio
Although the LCD backlit display still flashes, this keeps the radio off. LCD alone doesn't drain battery that fast. I can start the car without trouble after parked it for three days.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

#6 ·
Do you have any aftermarket mods? If so, they could have caused a short somewhere that affects your radio. It's possible two melted or uninsulated wires are touching each other. Just a thought.

#12 ·
Or did you buy it used and somebody had installed/removed accessories before selling to you?

#14 ·
Hi, some random thoughts, from memory there are no mechanical relays inside the radio, so the only relay he could be talking about would be a relay supplying ACC and IGN +12volts to the radio. However I don’t think a separate relay exists for that circuit?

Apart from a 7.5 ampere switched circuit (IGN/ACC), there is also a permanent un-switched + 12v supply to the radio for real-time clock, security and last Radio/CD state etc. As it’s appears to be a 10A circuit, I would think that this circuit is likely switched electronically (electronic relay if you like) in the radios and therefore could be the source of the problem.

There would be a number of ways the radio could fail and trigger this fault, without a circuit it would be hard to fix as there is a microprocessor controlling the on/off operation. I have never found a circuit of the internal radio/CD.

#20 ·
I know i'm 10 years late to this, but I have a 2007 Accord with the same problem. I feel like there is just something more centrally wrong with the electronics because one by one the windows stopped working, the display on my radio, and the interior lights. Radio constantly turning on and off when the car is off and no key is in, during the winter it kills my battery if i leave it for more than 24 hours without running. If the problem is the radio could it really do that much damage? I'm pretty sick of dealing with this lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.