Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Check engine light on only when cold

12K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bds85466 
#1 ·
So another winter has set in on my 2003 v6 Accord, and this time around the check engine light now comes on when, and only when, the air temp is consistently below freezing. The car has 115k on it so it's no surprise that there are some gremlins now and then. What could be the cause of this one? It happens like clockwork, for the past 4 freeze/thaws we have had here in ohio any time it is in the 20s or below for more than a day the light comes on, then stays on until its in the 30s or 40s and the light promptly goes away. It runs fine the whole time, although it has started giving me trouble with warm starts where it doesn't want to start if the engine is in the middle of cooling down (turned off for about 10-30 mins, not more not less).

The weird thing is that I have a Davis CarChip that reads ODBII codes, and for some reason it doesn't see any code when the light comes on. So, without taking it to a dealer or getting some keen insight from some of you guys, I am not sure how to get this resolved.

#3 ·
Strangely enough, this seems to describe my recent issue with my 2003 v6 accord. I live in MN and the first time this happened was the really cold snap in January -- it's then gone on and off -- seemingly with the temp. I at first thought it was the gas cap because I thought it was fluctuating with fill ups. It didn't seem to make sense unless my cap is inconsistent from loosening to tightening -- i tighten it like 10 clicks every time now. After some fills, it goes off, and after some fills it stays on. Since January, it's toggled on and off about 4 times, staying off for a couple tanks at a time as well as just a half a tank. The one thing that I have noticed is that usually when I fill for cold snaps (to avoid an empty tank) is when I see it come on consistently. The funny thing is, it then warms away from bitter cold, and this seems to be when it goes out. I know this is all anecdotal and whatnot, but I was searching and came across your post and thought -- hey maybe I'm not crazy.

At any rate, I'm borrowing a buddy's obd II code reader tonight so I may have better information tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.