Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Accord Arm Rest Rub Fix

17K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  teezythakidd 
#1 ·
So I got fed up with the driver seat rubbing against the arm rest. I did have the dealer install Katzkin leather, but I think they moved the driver seat too close to the arm rest which caused the rubbing. So I decided to take matter into my own hand. This fix is very simple. Enjoy! :D

Some tools you need: Wrench, and socket wrench. I think the bolts were 10mm, if not then you can find the correct size.

Step 1) First Locate these bolts on the driver seats and loosen them, don't need to unbolt them, we just need to loosen the bolts.
You want to take out any carpet from the driver seat out as well.
There are 4 bolts, 2 in the front 2 in the back. Use pictures as reference

These plastic cover are a bit tricky taking out, use a flat head screwdriver and pry them off.
They do required a bit of force to take off, but it's easy to put them back.

Once you have loosen all the bolts, the seat have some play and this is where the second person comes in handy. Have the person pull the seat away from the arm rest. While he's holding the seat, you want to tighten the bolts back. If you don't have another person, use something that doesn't scratch your seat and place between the arm rest like a thick book or something. Then you want to tighten the bolts back and your seat should have some clearance from the arm rest now.

Before: The seat was about 2-3mm against the arm rest.

After: You can't really see from this angle, but I have about 2-3mm gap between the arm rest and the seat.

Overall the job is not hard, but it would be easier with 2 people. No more rubbing, and I can move around the seat in peace now.​

See less See more
#6 ·
Yes they are so much better than OEM leather, is thicker and softer and have actual leather smell.

#3 ·
I have the same seats; great choice, and I have the same problem, I will try this later in the week! what Accord do you have? I ask because I had the Sport and the armrest was already leather, I did not get the red stitching in the armrest.

#7 ·
I have the 2014 sport as well. I decided to get leather from Katzkin and they did the arm rest as well.

#4 ·
Thanks, I was planning on doing the same thing since the hinge on the armrest cover isn't easily accessible. Glad to see it helped a little.

#5 ·
Thanks. Appreciate the Picts. I do so much better with Picts, especially the back bolt covers.

EDIT: Took all of 10 minutes. My bolts were 9/16ths. Moved just little over 1/8 inch. Arm rest just misses seat now.

THANKS AGAIN.

#8 ·
How much did the katzkin cost for the hole car? I'm thinking of doing the same. Wasn't too sure about the Honda leather after coming from an old E-class.

#9 ·
I got the leather with heated seats and the dealer charged $1500 for it. I was able to get down to $1000 and the dealer agreed. If you get leather alone it should be much cheaper. I bargain the leather when I was buying the car.

#10 ·
That's a great idea actually... Didn't even thing of that. I'll do it next time for sure. Thanks!

#13 ·
ducle91 your pictures are not showing up in my browser. Is it possible for you to send me your pictures so I can move my driver seat? The creaking noise coming from the leather driver seat touching the center console lid is driving me crazy.

Thanks,
Lars

2013 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe V6 Std

#14 ·
hmmm, I can see the pictures on my computer, but if still doesnt show up for you, then PM me and I will send you the pictures.

#15 ·
Thanks!! this was driving me crazy, as it would squeak as they rubbed together on my wife's EX-L, BTW the socket needed is 14mm, I think someone said it was 9/16 and they will both work but all the fasteners are metric.

#16 ·
I have a rather simple fix for this problem...the damn creaking sound was starting to bug the crap out of me. I took some good leather conditioner (I personally use Zymol) and wiped down the side bolsters where it was touching the arm rest, as well as the side of the arm rest. Bam, noise is gone! It haven't made a single creaking noise ever since I reconditioned the area that was rubbing together.

#18 ·
Leather conditioner will only work for so long before it fades out and the creaking will eventually come back, but I could be wrong. I'd rather have a permanent solution than a temporary one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.