Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

o2 sensor problem (p0135 code) on 97 accord

14K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  haku 
#1 ·
so i found out that I have a p0135 probelm (o2 sensor) on our 1997 accord.

can anyone tell me the needed part # to replace it?

also does anyone know how to turn off the CEL (i tried removing the radio fuse underneath the drive side fuse panel, but the light remains).

I don't have an OBD reader so I can't clear it.......

thanks

#2 ·
Did you ever get my reply about if you have less than 150k Honda will replace it???

Autozone will reset the CEL or you can disconnect the battery for a bit. Make sure you have your radio code if it is an EX or SE.

#3 ·
^ hi

thanks for the reply!

i called up my honda dealer and they told me they wouldn't replace it for free, the warranty is only for first 3 years (i even specified the code etc. that i have).

Also im in canada, so we don't have an autozone up here :(

I tried taking out the radio fuse as i read in another thread, but it didnt work. i disconnected the negative (black) connector to the battery and that didn't work either!

The reason im wanting to reset the CEL is because the CEL turned on when I was driving up a hill and suddenly had to gas it a bit more than usual (the engine revved up more).

If the o2 sensor is replaceble at home, i'd rather do that... :)

Cheers

#4 ·
Oh canada... that explains all.

Maybe get a haynes manual from an auto parts store?

#5 ·
^ perhaps :eek:

I'm hoping someone who has had a similar problem can post some inputs.

this is the 2nd or 3rd o2 sensor problem we've had with this car and each time we'd get it replaced by the dealer, but IRC, it was rather $$

I'm hoping someone (princess maybe? :D) can post up the diagrams/instructions :eek:

thanks in advance

#7 ·
O2 Sensor

If your car has over 100 K and you have not replaced the O2 sensors then they probably will need to be replaced. If not now then soon. There is one on the intake manifold and one on the catalytic converter. At least that's where they are located on my 99 Accord (V-Tech 4cy). You really don't need to reset the light. It does not affect performance. After changing mine the light stayed on for about 1 week then went out. It takes a number of engine starts and a number of computer readings for the light to reset. Has something to do with the difference in the voltage readings between the 2 sensors and then a moving average is calculated. The computer does the rest. Hope this works for you.

#9 ·
If your car has over 100 K and you have not replaced the O2 sensors then they probably will need to be replaced. If not now then soon. There is one on the intake manifold and one on the catalytic converter. At least that's where they are located on my 99 Accord (V-Tech 4cy). You really don't need to reset the light. It does not affect performance. After changing mine the light stayed on for about 1 week then went out. It takes a number of engine starts and a number of computer readings for the light to reset. Has something to do with the difference in the voltage readings between the 2 sensors and then a moving average is calculated. The computer does the rest. Hope this works for you.
thanks for the replies~!

did you have to change BOTH of them (intake manifold and catalytic converter) or just 1? I heard the former is a bit of a pain to do (have to get under the car). also are the sensor parts interchangable?

would this part work: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&viewitem=&item=310066208122&_trksid=p3286.m7

or will i have to go OEM?

The 1997 accord we have is 4 cycl...

thanks!

#10 ·
O2 Sensors

I think they may be different but can't remember for sure. I bought after market Bosch (sp) sensors. They are still quite expensive about 80 - 90 dollars US per each. But both worked well. My experience says change both. Yes you do have to use ramps or devise a SAFE way to get under the car. I can't tell you what the Honda service department charges but you can bet plenty. Hope this helps.

#11 ·
Hey there,

I called up the local honda dealer I go to,they quoted me for $268.94 for ONE oxygen sensor!

I see these going on ebay for $50! In the mist of my research, it was recommend to use OEM b/c the CEL may come on again after using 3rd party o2 sensors :dunno:

Also the guy gave me these part #:

36531 P0BA01 (o2 sensor near intake manifold)
36532 P0BAA01 (o2 sensor near catalytic converter)

So that mean's the o2 sensors are different??

I ran these #'s through google and eBay, but they don't seem to correspond with anything :confused:

I'll call another dealer to see if the guy gave me the right #s.....

#12 ·
OK,

so basically i found some instructions on how to test and change the o2 sensor.

i checked for resistance b/w the pin 3-4 and there were none shown. this indicates the o2 sensor has malfunctioned.

so i went out a bought an aftermarket o2 sensor and DMM-ed that. it actually showed resistance, so it must have needed a part replacement.

replaced the part, and voila, CEL gone (for now) :D

thanks!

edit: i bought the wrong part at first b/c the EX and SE sensor is different (we have SE)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.