Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Malfunction indicator lamp

66K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  CTR2112 
#1 ·
Tonight after work I pulled out of a parking lot and accelerated quickly down a long stretch of rural road. I probably reached a top speed of around 60 MPH. I then noticed the malfunction indicator lamp flash on the instrument panel (top left). I also noticed that I wasn't in drive ("D") but that I was accidentally in D3. Would cruising at this speed cause the malfunction indicator lamp to come on when in D3? Afterwards I shifted back to drive and the light didn't come back on. I drove for a few miles to see if it would come back on and it didn't.

When there is a true malfunction with the engine the light would stay on correct? Also, what is the maximum speed for third gear in a 2005 Accord V6?

The car has a little over 18,000 miles on it and has been pampered like a baby since the day I bought her. I hope this is just related to my quick acceleration and having the transmission shifted to D3.

Please advise. Thanks.

Malfunction Indicator Lamp:

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the same freaking problem, I think it has to do with the vtec changeover and cai intake.

Take it to advance auto and have them pull the codes. Should be close or similar to these P0300, P0301, P0305. All are misfire related. Check all hoses to make sure they are not loose, to rule that out. Did you remove the breather and coolant hose assembly per AEM directions?

I'm looking into issue on other forums, most of them seem to say that when the breather hose is run directly it will cause the MIL to come on during heavy acceleration. I plan on reinstalling that assembly when it gets a little warmer.

#3 ·
I checked the hose fittings and clamps. All is secure and nothing is loose.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the purpose of the coolant and breather hoses?

And what exactly do you mean remove the hoses per AEM directions? I did remove them when I first installed the intake but reattached them afterwards to the appropriate places. The breather hose is going from the inlet pipe to the valve cover which is how it was installed on the OEM intake (only with a smaller hose and metal loom in the middle). And the coolant hose is connected from the throttle body to some other fitting, not familiar with what it's called. Again, this is the same place the coolant hose was connected on the OEM intake with a small hose and metal loom in the middle. So really no hose positions have changed, just the size of the hoses.

I'm not real knowledgeable on this whole issue. I'd appreciate it if you could explain the basics for me. What do you mean when you say run the breather hose directly?

I just took the car out to a long stretch of road. I pretty much floored it until I got to about 80 MPH. I did this several times and the MIL didn't come on. Hopefully it was only a freak one time thing.

#5 ·
I just did the coolant and breather hose reassembly, but the cel still flashes. I pmed you the link to the discussion on the other forum. Don't know if its against forum rules to post it.

#6 ·
Got your PM and checked out the discussion on the other forum. Thanks for your help.

I will go to Advanced Auto on Saturday to have them read the codes. I have a feeling that it was just an engine misfire due to the fact I was driving in D3 and accelerating heavily.

I drove it all today and the light didn't come back on.

So yeah, hopefully this is all driver error and not anything serious.

#7 ·
Went by Advance Auto this weekend to have them hookup an OBD scanner to read the codes. A couple codes came back all having to do with cylinder misfire. I had him clear the codes out.

The car only has 18,000 miles on it. There's absolutely no way that the spark plugs need to be changed that early.

The light never came back on so it leads me to believe that this was just some random misfire due to the driving conditions at the time. The next time I take the car in for service (20k) I'll have the dealer take a look at the plugs and wires.

#8 ·
The fix:D, TSB about a ecu upgrade. Gonna see the dealer if they will honor this for my 07. Might give me some bs about my intake though. Anyone have a specific TSB for the 07?

Attachments

#9 ·
That's excellent. Those are the exact codes that were returned for the MIL. And it applies to 2005 Accord V6s which is what I have. I gotta drop the car off tomorrow at the service department anyway so I'll just have them take care of this ECM upgrade. But like I said the codes were cleared out so hopefully they understand that I need it. And, my factory warranty expired in September so hopefully it's eligible for "goodwill consideration." Even if it isn't, 0.3 hour worth of work shouldn't cost that much, especially since there aren't any parts involved.

Thanks for posting that TSB. It came just in time. I'll drop her off at the dealer tomorrow then I have a road trip on Wednesday.

#10 ·
Simplified Version

Just did the Clear/Learn CKP Pattern learn myself, since my 07 should have current software.
The steps:
1. Clear the CKP pattern while the engine is stopped (Either by disconnecting the battery overnight or with a HDS).
2. Reattach Neg battery cable. Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait for 30 seconds .
3. Test drive the vehicle on a level road decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) from an engine speed of 2,500 rpm to 1,000 rpm with the A/T in 2 position, or M/Tin 1st gear.
4. Test-drive the vehicle on a level road decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) from an engine speed of 5,000 rpm to 3,000 rpm with the A/T in 2 position, or M/T in 1st gear.
5. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
6. Turn the ignition switch ON (II) and wait for 30 seconds The CKP learning procedure is completed.

Explained:
1. Remove Neg battery cable overnight to clear ECM of stored Crank Position Pattern(CKP). Most of us don't own a HDS.
2. Reattach Neg battery cable. Insert key and turn to ON (II),(Starter not engaged, accessories have power). Wait 30 seconds, then start car.
**Please make sure road used is lightly traveled or in no-mans land so you don't get run over doing this.:D
3. Put car in Drive 2nd gear for autos, lst gear for mt. Drive car on road up to 2,500 rpm then let go of throttle, let coast until 1,000 rpm (No brake).
4. Still in 2nd gear, drive up to 5,000 rpm then let go of throttle, coast down to 3,000 rpm (Again no brake).
5. Drive to suitable parking spot and park. Turn key to off pos.
6. Turn key to ON (II), let it stay there for 30 secs. After that the values should be learned.
7. Go enjoy your MIL free car.

This may or may not work for other years/ecm software versions, but it worked for mine. The reason we are getting the flashing cel is because when the battery is disconnected sometimes the stored CKP value for high rpm is lost or learned incorrectly. This causes the ECM to misintrepret the readings as a misfire on Cyl 1 & 5. (Codes P0301, P0305, & Sometimes along with P0300).

#18 ·
Accord 2007 Diesel Manual MIL

My warm thanks to AlaBastardAV6. I had a similar problem with the Engine Light remaining on. Just out of the blue at 72000 miles. The following worked for me, although I did have to drive for 5 mins afterwards before the light went off and stayed off... Followed the "explained" set of instructions below...

Just did the Clear/Learn CKP Pattern learn myself, since my 07 should have current software.
The steps:
1. Clear the CKP pattern while the engine is stopped (Either by disconnecting the battery overnight or with a HDS).
2. Reattach Neg battery cable. Turn the ignition switch ON (II), and wait for 30 seconds .
3. Test drive the vehicle on a level road decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) from an engine speed of 2,500 rpm to 1,000 rpm with the A/T in 2 position, or M/Tin 1st gear.
4. Test-drive the vehicle on a level road decelerate (with the throttle fully closed) from an engine speed of 5,000 rpm to 3,000 rpm with the A/T in 2 position, or M/T in 1st gear.
5. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
6. Turn the ignition switch ON (II) and wait for 30 seconds The CKP learning procedure is completed.

Explained:
1. Remove Neg battery cable overnight to clear ECM of stored Crank Position Pattern(CKP). Most of us don't own a HDS.
2. Reattach Neg battery cable. Insert key and turn to ON (II),(Starter not engaged, accessories have power). Wait 30 seconds, then start car.
**Please make sure road used is lightly traveled or in no-mans land so you don't get run over doing this.:D
3. Put car in Drive 2nd gear for autos, lst gear for mt. Drive car on road up to 2,500 rpm then let go of throttle, let coast until 1,000 rpm (No brake).
4. Still in 2nd gear, drive up to 5,000 rpm then let go of throttle, coast down to 3,000 rpm (Again no brake).
5. Drive to suitable parking spot and park. Turn key to off pos.
6. Turn key to ON (II), let it stay there for 30 secs. After that the values should be learned.
7. Go enjoy your MIL free car.

This may or may not work for other years/ecm software versions, but it worked for mine. The reason we are getting the flashing cel is because when the battery is disconnected sometimes the stored CKP value for high rpm is lost or learned incorrectly. This causes the ECM to misintrepret the readings as a misfire on Cyl 1 & 5. (Codes P0301, P0305, & Sometimes along with P0300).

#11 ·
I'm not sure what all that means. I'm just going to have the dealer perform the software upgrade per the TSB you posted. Like I said, my MIL didn't remain on. It just blinked for a few seconds and went away. Haven't seen it since.

#12 ·
I just did the last part of the TSB basically. Plus didn't really feel like wasting time at the dealer. I figured since its an 07, it probably has a somewhat current software. Versus 05 that need upgrade. Posted the instructions for anyone who wants to try themselves.

#15 ·
Happens to me on heavy accel' like when getting on the freeway from a short ramp. Brief flashing light. My local dealer's a jerk so I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll try the DIY above. Thanks for that.

#16 ·
I did hard acceleration before as well and my lamp blinked a few times and stayed on though and when I pulled the codes it was a random misfire code. Just reset the system and no problem since. The blinking of the CEL is indicating that a code was stored in the system and in your case it is usually a misfire.

P.S.- I know this is old post but maybe useful to others with same issue.

#19 ·
I just wanted to thank everyone thats been posting in this thread. I've been chasing the exact same problem with 2005 V6 with 113,000 miles for 3 solid days now!

If I want to focus on the positive side of this I was able to change my plugs and buy a code scanner so not all is lost.

I feel much better now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.