Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Problems with cruise control on 2003 Accord LX?

32K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  PetesPonies 
#1 ·
The cruise control is not working in my Accord. The Cruise Main light comes on when I push the Cruise button. The Cruise Control light comes on when I hit the set button. The cruise control does not maintain the speed. I don't believe it is a problem with the brake switch. When I apply brakes, the Cruise Control light goes out.

What should I look for next?

Thanks,
Steve

#5 ·
Just because you press the brake and it turns off the cruise doesn't mean your brake switch is problem free. When the brake switch starts to fail, it is typically intermittent. If your vehicle has TCS/VSA, the warning lights will generally appear while you are driving when the switch is not functioning. If it is not the brake switch, then take the car to the dealer so they can check the rest of the cruise control system.

#4 ·
I'm going to bump this questions because I have the same exact issue.
I read else where
Q: Problems with cruise control on 2003 Honda Accord LX?
The cruise control is not working in my Accord. The Cruise Main light comes on when I push the Cruise button. The Cruise Control light comes on when I hit the set button. The cruise control does not maintain the speed. I don't believe it is a problem with the brake switch. When I apply brakes, the Cruise Control light goes out. What should I look for next?

A: It may be the case that vacuum or electronic actuator (the part that moves the throttle to maintain the speed) isnt working. If it is vacuum powered, there may just be a leak in the line to it, or it may have failed. If you have a moment, it may be best to ask over at driveaccord.net

so I checked here, but this is the most i have found

#6 ·
I also have the same exact problem. I had cruise control working from when I bought my accord in 2003 and it worked fine until this month. I had been completing a road trip from the great plains to the east coast. I was using cruise control about 95% of the road trip. On the 7th day of the trip, the cruise control stopped working. Both the cruise main and cruise control light stay on, but the speed is not maintained. At first I thought due to the hilly/mountainous terrain, the cruise control might not work as the manual says. However, I've tried this again on flat lands at speeds greater than 60 mph, and the cruise control just won't work.

If the fuse is blown, what would be the indication of this? Should the 2 cruise control lights still light up? Thank you.

Edit: Just checked the brake light and horn, both are working fine.

#7 ·
Looks like no one ever figured this one out. I too have had this issue for some time. My 03 Accord LX is manual, but same thing. Light comes on, but throttle wont hold... I was hoping there was some sort of disconnected switch/connection but I don't know enough... maybe one day...

#8 ·
I had to fix mine recently. The first thing to check on a cruise control is the switch on your brake pedal. Those sometimes go bad.

My problem was a less common one. The "set" switch literally stopped working. When I would push it in the switch didn't have a solid "click". It would not stay pushed in, if that makes sense. If I held it in the cruise would work, but as soon as I took my finger off of the switch it would un-set.The good news is it's easy to remove, but the bad news is you have to remove the airbag unit to get to the wire connector. That's a dumb one on Honda's part.

#9 ·
Cruise light works, button won't stay "clicked on"

I think I have the same problem.

When I push in cruise, the light comes on, when I let go of the button, the light goes off. I can hear two little clicking noises. But the cruise won't set.

I'm going to check tomorrow whether this is the brake problem, but if not, did getting a new cruise unit work for you? Thanks.

#12 ·
i actually have a related problem, but not exactly like the OP is describing....

during the summer, i noticed that if the interior is too hot, either the cruise control won't work at all, or it'll start working, then cancel itself out. the only solution to this problem is to cool down the interior with the a/c in order for it to start working all the time.

problem first noted in july 2012 while driving in mississippi.

#14 ·
From the symptoms described above (lights work as expected, but doesn't hold speed) it sounds like you have the classic failure of the plastic pulley on the throttle body, same as I did. The pulley plastic ages from heat and becomes brittle. Eventually a portion of it cracks away, the portion that keeps the cable end (small barrel shaped bit of metal clamped to the end of the cable) in place. I could slip the cable end back in place but it would (very) quickly just fall back out of the slot every time since the plastic retaining portion is what broke away.
After a bit of head scratching, I realized that there was enough of the pulley remaining to hold the cable end in place IF tension was held on the cable - it is adjustable and normally somewhat slack when cruise is off. Just tweak the two adjustment nuts to JUST apply slight tension when the engine is off. The way the system is designed, it does not appear to cause any problems. Mine has been holding for two weeks now with daily use of the cruise. I expect eventually this too will fail, but in the meantime I'm enjoying my cruise again!!

#15 ·
I love my 2003 Honda Accord but my cruise control has quit working. One day it worked and the next day it stopped. I click the cruise button and the light comes on but as soon as I remove my hand from the button the light goes off. Could it be a fuse?
If so, which one? I looked in my book and it doesn't even mention which fuse goes to the cruise control. Any suggestions??

#16 ·
Most likely the switch is just defective. If you hold the switch button in then set does it work. If so it is the switch. This happen to my 03 v6. I just broke off a piece of a toothpick and wedged it beside the main switch and it stays on all the time and I use the set button when I want the cruise.

#19 ·
I want to add this to the information. People search these subjects for years and years. If your brake lights are stuck on, the switch may be fine but the rubber button had hardened and cracked and probably fallen apart. This happens after they get old. Get a new button or a small nut and bolt works great. Second . .if you have a 5 speed, there is also a clutch switch . and with the same rubber button. Don't forget to check that switch and button as well. It falls apart, the switch never gets pushed in and your car thinks your clutch is pushed in. The Cruise will not engage. Actually, no set light. The main light will light up but when you push the set, it will never happen. So new button or nut and bolt and bingo, all is well again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.