Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Lost wheel lock key..

56K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  KP Texan 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

help me out here...

I bought an 07 Accord last week and over the weekend went to get the tires rotated and oil changed.

However, there were locks on the wheels and no key in the car.

My question is - are all OEM wheel locks same? can I just buy another set and the key will fit on the existing locks?

Thanks

#2 ·
Hmmm, not likely, else the wheel thieves would have an easy picnic getting your wheels off.

Can you contact the dealership/previous owner to see if they/he can provide you with the key?

In fact you may have a better chance if you bought the car from a Honda (or even an independent) dealership, since they would have to take the wheels off to do a safety inspection of brake pad thickness, so they MUST have had the key to do so, as such you can very rightfully ask that they take care of this problem for you free of charge.

#7 ·
They can still take the wheels off at the dealer because like someone else said they have a master key and since they do a lot of times they forget to check if the car has a key. You're probably gonna have to get em cut off and replaced with lugs unless you wanna buy a new set of locks. This happens all the time at the Mazda dealer I work at.

#8 ·
Agreed. I know many times I've forgotten to tell them where I put the lock key, but somehow they were still able to rotate the tires.

So, just take it in and have them remove the locks for you. Then you can either replace them with a new set (so you'll have a key) or simply not use wheel locks.

#3 ·
When I bought my lock nuts at the dealership, they also gave me a paper with a number on it.

With the number, Mc Guard (I think it's Mc Guard - anyway, the wheel lock nuts manufacturer) is able to send you another key...

But you need the number...if you don't have it, you can have your lock nuts removed (destroyed) and then just buy another set. More expensive though!

#5 ·
I just went through this same dilemma. Like others said, you should have a little card that says Mcgard and has a number on it. If you dont have this, you may be able to give them a call (800-444-5847) and see if they might be able to help you out with your VIN. If that fails, the Honda dealer has a master set of wheel lock keys and can remove them for you and then you will have to either buy a new set of wheel locks (probably <$50?) or just buy a set of regular lug nuts to replace them. Hope this helps.

-Wes

#10 ·
I am the SE sales mgr for McGard except I handle the non-automotive products (yes we do much, much more than wheel locks). Our locks just deter theft and although they are the best available, they will never totally prevent theft if someone really wants your stuff.

We can only do so much to handle lost keys. Sometimes we can't win either way. If we try to help you out because you no longer have our control number for your key (your fault or not), pretty much all we can do is have you send us a pic of your pattern to get you the right key. I guess we could also say, sorry charlie, no number, no key, but then there would be complaints that we were not very helpful. We choose to be on the side of helping our customers whenever we can.

#11 ·
Well, I did not mean it as a disrespect to Mcgard. We all know these locks can be taken off by a mechanic for 10 bucks. I chose to keep the locks and order a new key because of whatever little security it provides, so dont get me wrong. I was merely pointing out the simplicity of the procedure. You might want to institute a policy of asking "proof of ownership" when someone calls for a key without the numbers..

#13 ·
// "Well, I did not mean it as a disrespect to Mcgard. We all know these locks can be taken off by a mechanic for 10 bucks. I chose to keep the locks and order a new key because of whatever little security it provides, so dont get me wrong. I was merely pointing out the simplicity of the procedure." //

Hmmm, with what little bit of $10 security we provide, I wonder how we became the first choice as an OEM supplier to most all of the car manufacturers in this country (let alone Europe and Asia).

aw44: Now don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be sarcastic.

sjlee: Thank you, you get it.

#14 ·
Or maybe, Mcgard could develop a wheel lock that would scan your thumb print and then wirelessly download your personal information from the FBI Database before it verifies vehicle ownership information through the DPS! If a known criminal's fingerprint is read or the wrong fingerprint is read more than 5 times, the authorities could then be dispatched to the vehicle's location because the wheel lock would also have built in GPS.

Seriously though, I don't think aw44 meant to rile anybody up over this or imply that Mcgard doesn't deserve to be the first choice as an OEM supplier to most car manufacturers. For what it's worth, I appreciate the fact that you guys don't go completely overboard with security precautions (they're a set of OEM wheels, not diamond encrusted 26's!). This makes life much easier on people like me who didn't get a key or lost the key to their vehicle's wheel locks.

Regards,

Wes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.