Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Honda's new DW-1 ATF

27K views 54 replies 29 participants last post by  chris918 
#1 ·
Watch for Honda's new auto trans fluid ATF DW-1, supposedly it's got better low temperature performance. I don't know much else about it just yet.

I'm trying to find out.

It's now used exclusively in 2011 models.

#2 ·
oooo hot news! Google shows nothing but trademark filed by Honda on January 22, 2010

http://www.trademarkia.com/atf-dw1-77918249.html

Please post more info as they come through you Fred. It would be much appreciated. I hope it's better than Z1.

#8 ·
Don't know. Saw a link to it on ISIS, that its only in '11 models, no mention of backward compatibility yet. Very cryptic and non descriptive message too.

#18 ·
I've had very good luck with Redline D4. If your car is low mileage, you can use Redline D6, which has less viscosity than D6.

On cars with higher mileage the D4 works better to help with any pressure loss in the unit.

#19 ·
#20 ·
I can't confirm that yet, as Honda's SI doesn't yet have the bulletin up about the backwards compatibility.

I definitely would NOT put a lower viscosity fluid in any Honda transmission with more than about 50k on it. They already suffer from pressure loss by that time, a thinner fluid would only exacerbate that issue.

Of course, it could be me not being able to find it.

#22 ·
Redline's racing fluid is way too viscous and isn't friction modified, great for a racing trans, but I could imagine how harsh it would make a Honda automatic operate.

#23 ·
ATF Summary:
Z1 is garbage (especially for V6)
D4 is expensive, and also causes harder shift when warm according to some users!
Some users say Mobil Syn ATF causes harsh shift, too
MaxLife Synthetic ATF is thin (Fred recommends something thicker than Z1), yet it is the cheapest synthetic ATF :)blah:GroupIII) out there...

Hopefully the DW-1 is True Synthetic (not GRIII)!

#24 ·
M1 isn't really suitable for our trans, i tried it once in my 03..eventually the torque converter wouldn't lock up anymore so engine cruised ~500 rpms too high..not good

#27 ·
Just a quick FYI

12-23-2010

Honda released a message that Z1 is ceasing production and DW-1 is the only fluid that will be available from them. DW-1 is made for Honda by Conoco Phillips, the same people who now have the contract to supply Honda's dealer network with their bulk engine oils.

They specifically mention not to use Z1 in a 2011 or newer car as long as the stock of Z1 is still available.

#29 ·
:yes::banana: Fred, I appreciate you very much for mentioning the ceasing of production of the Z1. I am now going to schedule an ATF service with my dealer with nothing but D1 and try to remove all 8.xx quarts. Can the dealer do it without having to do it three times, I wonder as in is there all the drain bolts they need to do drain it all at once?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.