Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Method to Install Tie-Rod / Ball Joint Boots?

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  npolite 
#1 ·
HI, What is the method to install tie-rod / ball joint boots (dust covers)? Honda mentions a special tool - is it needed and if so, where does one find the tool? Can the home mechanic do this?

One addition: Is there a heavy duty version of a needle type grease lubricator that one could use to add lubricant to the "sealed" boots?

Thanks

#2 ·
I think you are referring to the tie rod separator. Do NOT use the pickle fork ones as they will damage the boot.

I purchased one in the past and it was too thick so it is a crapshoot unless you buy the one Honda recommends. My uncle has a German made one that ran him like $140. After the junk I paid $20 I can say that the $140 is worth it.

http://lightningmotorsports.com/i-396737.aspx

If the boot is already cracked and leaking you'll need to replace it. The part doesn't cost much and you might be better off getting a proper seal. The biggest problem you will have is that it will probably be seized so you are going to have to heat the thing up. I've only had luck with a acetylene torch.

#3 ·
npolite, Thanks for the reply. I agree with you that "pickle fork" style separators can easily damage the dust boots. I use a Honda style tool or a fixed two jaw style puller with good success. Your uncle's tool sound nice!

What I was inquiring about is replacing the "boot" for the tie-rod or ball joint. Honda has a special tool they use for this and I was inquiring if this special tool was needed for a home mechanic. Is this task really difficult? I was, also, looking for a heavy duty needle type lubricator to maybe use to add lubricant to the sealed joints.

Thanks, Jim

#4 ·
If the boot is already cracked and has leaked lube you need to replace it.

Honda offers part number 07965-SA50500 (This is for my TSX) but i would assume that it is the same for the Accord.

I don't know if you need it or not, I just usually replace the entire tie-rod because by the time you notice the problem it is already cracked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.