Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Car wont start with key, will start with remote starter.

13K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  03LXV6 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have about 270k on my Accord LX.

FYI, I've had a non-Honda auto starter installed for the last 10 yrs.

It runs like a champ but recently(3 weeks or so) after changing the router and distributor cap, 4 plugs and the cables i noticed that my car is randomly not starting.

Normally i start the car 5 mins before leaving home every AM.
The car will start but when i sit in the car and insert the key and press the brake the engine shuts off. I turn the key and it starts and immediatly shutsdown again. if i press the car starter button it turns on!

Strange.

I litterally have to put the car in neutral and with the key in the ignition press the auto starter button to start the car.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#6 ·
yep. try starting the car while rolling it, if it starts then its probably your starter.

#9 ·
How does the remote start work exactly

I just bought a used Honda Accord 1997 with Remote start. I press the button and the car starts. When I get in to drive I insert the key and turn it to the II position (i.e. the interior lights come on but not all the way to activate the starter) when I step on the brakes it turns off. Am I supposed to turn the key off again then on? If someone could list the exact steps that would be great. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.