Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Anti-theft alarm problems

16K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Stinson 
#1 ·
I own a 2001 Honda Odyssey EX V6 (recently sold a 1998 Accord EX V6) and I am new here. I'm having problems with my anti-theft alarm. It goes off for no reason at all. We'll be sound asleep in the middle of the night and it will just start sounding. This has been happening at least every other night. It happens during the day too. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

#2 ·
I have had this problem with my other car. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then rehooked the battery. It seems to have worked, as it has been 2 months without any problems.

Also is it an aftermarket alarm or is it factory installed? If it is aftermarket you might be able to get on the mafac website and troubleshoot. And if it is factory then someone else can chime in and assist you.

#3 ·
It's a factory alarm system. That's a good suggestion. I'll try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if that does anything. I took the van to the dealer a couple of weeks ago. They spent two hours (at least that's what they said) and couldn't figure it out. They wanted to charge me $200.00 for their time and asked me to authorize another $100.00 for another hour with no guarantee they could figure out the problem. I'd rather just disconnect the alarm all together if somthing like this is going to cost that much. If anyone knows how to disconnect the alarm, I'd be interested in that information as well.

#4 ·
there's an article in here that may prove helpful..... :dunno:

Attachments

#5 ·
Diggin up an old thread here.

I'm a newbie obviously, as this is my first post. My wife has a 2003 LX-V6 coupe. It has the factory alarm system and we have started having trouble with it going off randomly while sitting in the driveway.

She was backed into in a parking lot and the Honda dealer replaced the front bumper and right front headlight. Since we got it back, the alarm constantly goes off on its own. We have taken it back to the dealer twice and they inform us that they "cannot duplicate the problem, therefore cannot diagnose the problem." :furious: I'm not making it up and I feel they have not done enough to try and diagnose what is wrong.

I've read lots of old threads about the battery may be low. I don't want to buy a new battery if that is not the problem. Does anyone know if the above article and troubleshooting techniques will work on the 2003 models?

Any help or pointing to another thread for advice is greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
Reading through the link, I see no reason why you shouldn't try those troubleshooting steps. Nothing to loose by trying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.