Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

MM Code 3 at 63,000 miles!!!

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  namegoeshere 
#1 ·
The maintenance minder on my Accord threw a code 3 at ~63,000 miles. Code 3 means that I have to change the transmission fluid.

The owner's manual states:
Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission and transfer temperatures. This requires transmission and transfer fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission and transfer fluid changed at 60,000 miles (100,000 km), then every 30,000 miles (48,000 km) (For A/T only:)

I have never pulled a trailer, or driven in mountainous areas.

Is there anything wrong with my transmission? Why is it throwing this code so early?

#2 ·
Is there anything wrong with my transmission? Why is it throwing this code so early?
You mean why is it throwing the code so late. Many people here have already changed the fluid by 30K miles. I did mine twice by 30K and changed out the ATF filter too.

Nothing wrong with your transmission. Just change it out if it's telling you to do so. If you have 63K, the fluid is going to be very very dirty by now, if it's never been changed before. And while you're at it, change out the ATF filter too.

#4 ·
No code thrown. I just change it out because it's cheap insurance against transmission wear and tear and/or failure.

This thread is what made me decide to have fluid changed out earlier than what Honda recommends. Car actually shifted better after first change too. For second change, I switched out the Honda fluid for Redline.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.