Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Timing Belt Or Chain? 4 Cyl = Chain , V6 = Belt

61K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  shifting myself 
#1 ·
We are wondering if the 2013 EXL 4 cyl comes with a timing chain or belt? Thanks.

#3 ·
But they can wear out also; my Corolla with 170,000 is clicking like mad. Mechanics say $1000 to replace!

#4 ·
It is true. Even at Acura, we see them go out. (Rarely the chain breaking, but noise from the chain tensioner or a stretched chain) but, usually the root problem to them going out is from neglect....not getting their oil changes done on time, thus driving around with low oil.

#5 ·
#7 ·
So what is the recommended change interval on the V6? All I found in the owners manual is that if you drove in extreme heat (110+) or extreme cold (20 or below), or towing a trailer, then they recommend 60,000 miles, but it said nothing (at least not that I could fine) if you just have normal driving conditions. :dunno:

#10 ·
It kinda differs from region...but, 7 years or 90,000 is recommended. Basically anytime around 100,000 would be best.

#15 ·
The engine in the 9th Gen Accord will be slightly louder than past generations due to the direct injection system now in use on the K24s of the 9th Gens. Don't think you should be able to even hear the timing chain or any of it's components unless there is a mechanical problem.

#20 ·
Apparently that was a fairly common thing to do back in the '60s and '70s--I am finding the same issue with a Cadillac 472 I'm attempting to recommission. In this case the sprocket itself is metal but the teeth are coated in plastic.

#22 ·
Just stupid. We trust the engineers who design these things to "know best" but clearly some things are just plain stupid.

#21 ·
Yes, most V8 used the plastic on cam gear and solid steel for crank , very common even till late 80's .
Funny thing the replacements were mostly always steel/cast, no plastic on them and I never really noticed it ever got louder w/o the plastic cam gear .

#28 ·
$5-800 maybe more. I am happy with my chain. 189k miles on my 2007 and it purrs like it was new. Unbelievably reliable - still on my original front brake pads (and they have a ton of life left). Synthetic oil at 10k intervals is about it. Only mechanical issue was an O2 sensor at about 110k miles - and it still drove fine even then.

I haven't even changed the antifreeze yet (they use the long life stuff) and it still looks like new. Though I have added about 1/3 quart over the 8 years I have owned it. It was a little low the first few months but hasn't really budged since.

#31 ·
If you try to trade your car in near 100k without paperwork that you changed your belt, expect a lower trade in value. Especially if it's a Honda dealer.

#39 ·
I don't think that people mind doing regular maintenance on their car but it's an expensive job for just a belt and it's significantly more expensive then any other maintenance and also usually gets recommended right around the time your warranty expires and then people are edgy about dropping 1k on a service if something else is about to go wrong. That being said i've always taken good care of my hondas and never had any engine/transmission issues at all so I wouldn't worry about those kind of powertrain issues with a honda. Much more relevant are the constant suspension/comprehensive pieces that need maintenance/replacement right outside of your warranty period. If companies ever went to a better structured warranty i think people would be less concerned. The 3rd party warranties nowadays not only cover alot but also many have options where you receive a large portion of your money back if it is not used within the allotted time.

Now before anyone claims that you get a free warranty with honda, don't be naive lol. Being that i've purchased extended warranties and paint/interior packages before through dealers I will say they are generally a complete waste of money for most people trying to get those companies to cough up a dollar even though you may have paid thousands to have the stupid thing is like pulling teeth. I'm at the point where I just do short leases with an extended comprehensive and just trade the car back in well before anything major should ever come up. Always have a payment but never have any other bills outside of the one payment and oil changes really.

#47 ·
I am not doubting you can turn a wrench .... I really question your Stop Watch or Sun Dial especially when its not JUST the timing belt !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.