Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Tire Pressure/VSA/brake light stays on?

32K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  murk13 
#1 ·
Hey, I've been coming to these forum awhile now looking for answers for problems to my Honda and most of the time I find an answer. Which is a huge help.

I have a 09 Accord EX-L, and 3 days ago I had a flat and had to put on the spare, the car was fine but after a few times driving it, the tire pressure light came on, the VSA light with the '!' beside it, and the brake light, like the emergency brake was on. I checked all the air in the tires, and it was fine, so I figured with the spare, I guess the sensor just thinks its low, and with the spare tire being smaller, making the car a little unbalanced, that's why the VSA and brake light is on.

Well, I put on the new tire, checked all the tires again with the right PSI, and of course shutting the car off to reset the sensors. But, all three lights are still on while I am driving it. Does anyone know why? Is there someway to reset it? Thanks

#2 ·
Take the negative terminal off the battery for a couple minutes and put it back on. That's as much of a reset as you can do yourself. When you drive it again after the reset, get it up around 40-45 mph for a bit to make sure the tpms sensors activate. If the lights come back, you may have damaged the tpms sensor when your tire went flat. Also check for loose or damaged wires around the hub on the wheel that went flat. The brake light may be indicating that the abs sensor is unplugged or damaged.
Might want to just take it to the dealer if you're still under warranty.

#4 ·
I believe the current Accords had the non-volatile memory, meaning the computer memory can store information even when not powered, so removing the battery cable may not clear the trouble code. It needs to cleared with a code scanner/reader.

TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)
The TPMS detects low pressure in a tire and alerts the
driver by turning on the low tire pressure indicator. If it
detects a problem in the system, it turns on the TPMS
indicator.

NOTE: If the low tire pressure indicator comes on,
inflate the tires to the proper air pressure. There is no
need to clear any DTCs.
Once the vehicle reaches 25 mph, the TPMS monitors
all four tires at all speeds.
When a tire pressure is low, the low tire pressure
indicator comes on and sets a DTC. The DTC
indicates sensor 1, 2, 3, or 4.

When an original tire goes flat and is replaced with a
spare, and the original tire is put in the trunk of the
vehicle, the low tire pressure indicator stays on.

• If the customer leaves the vehicle at the dealership,
and the flat tire is repaired and reinstalled, sensor
memorization is not needed, as long as the sensor is
not damaged.
If the original tire is flat and is left at the dealership
for repair, and the customer drives the vehicle on the
spare, the low tire pressure indicator and the TPMS
indicator will come on after driving about 20 minutes.
A DTC will be stored because the wheel with the
sensor has been removed from the vehicle. Once the
original tire has been repaired and reinstalled on the
vehicle, the DTC must be cleared.

Some more info.:

Make Sure the TPMS Sensors Are Operational, and
Set the Tire Pressures

NOTE: If this procedure is not done during the PDI, the
TPMS indicator will come on after driving about
20 miles. When the TPMS indicator comes on, the
TPMS control unit also sets one or more of these
TPMS DTCs: 32, 34, 36, 38, and/or 41. The repair of
any of these DTCs, at PDI or shortly after, is not
warrantable.
To make sure the TPMS sensors are operational and
the tire pressures are set, do this:
1. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).
2. Use a tire pressure gauge with a bleeder valve to
quickly lower the pressure in one tire to 18 psi or
less.

NOTE:
The tire pressure must be lowered by at least 3
psi within 15 seconds, or the TPMS sensor in
the wheel will not be activated.

#6 ·
That would do it... you need a place to read that new sensor code (they will actually read all of them) and then program that into you ECU/code bank.

Discount Tire, at least for most people, will do a read/program for free.

Some dealers (mine around here) do this for free...some charge 50/75$ to do this simple read and program procedure.

Sometimes DT employees are a little slow w/ their programming device...so after the program the codes...drive about 2-3 minutes above 30mph and make sure the light goes off. Otherwise, go back and ask them to do it again, or seek the dealer.

#9 ·
So the old rim with the original TPMS sensor is gone?

When I damaged a rim, I bought a new rim and had the dealer put the original TPMS sensor on the new rim. I bought the rim, a TPMS sensor grommet, and the TPMS nut washer through an internet Honda dealer and had a local Honda dealer install it. The dealer only charged me $15 to take the original tire and TPMS sensor off the old rim and mount them on the new rim and balance it. (I've been very happy with the Honda dealer that does some of the service on my car. A lot of the other maintenance, I do myself).

I am a little surprised the dealer didn't say anything to you about needing the TPMS sensor.

#12 ·
Ok, great, the guy who put on the new tire on the new rim put a new air plug on it already, but I'm going to take it to a legit service shop to put this on for me. I'm getting the other 3 tires on monday, so I'll put it on then, I'm glad its nothing major. Thanks for the help guys

#15 · (Edited)
ok, I got 4 brand new tires, with the new rim, they put the sensor on the new rim for me, so I have all the sensors on the tires. When I got in the car, the lights were off, as soon as I made it on the main road, the brake light and VSA ! light popped back on. The tire pressure light is gone.

I guess I just got to take it to a dealer to get them to reset the system? anyone know how much that costs?

and I drove it back to my house about 5-6 miles going around or above 45 mph.

and I also, when I got home, I disconnected the negative cable from the battery for about 5 mins to try and reset the system, but it stayed the same

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.