Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Transmission "Jerky"

9K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  gooderthanyou 
#1 ·
My Accord has an automatic tranny, and ever since i hit the 15,000 kilometer mark on my odo its been shifting really hard even if im babying the pedal, it shoves me forward like a bloody lambo in race mode.

Is this the transmission programed to shift in a *sportive* way or is it giving signs of damage?

#4 ·
I dont know if it applies but did you check the recent TSB 11-050?
Not sure if it only applies to US Accords

#6 ·
auto accord

it sound like yout tranny getting bad. honda is good car but auto tranny are not so good. i had 2 honda with auto they all get bad after 30000mile even if my mom drive that car.i change oil every 15000mile but no dice.try to get maual next time you will not have any diapoitment. and coast less to fix and replace.

#11 ·
All BS ^ aside...I would suggest to take a used accord matching your engine 4 or 6 off the lot for a test drive with a salesman. Lie and say you are interested in purchasing if need be. Confirm the shift patterns are different, very different. Then walk over to service and advise them of the issue and tell them about the car in the parking lot which is extremely different then your own. If the old "npf" shows up on the service receipt when you go to get the car, ask the srvc manager to go for a ride with you in both vehicles. All else fails, call honda and open a case.

#13 ·
already drove a friends 2008 v6 and i swear to you it shifts like a deam compared to mine, his car had 80,000 kilometers on the clock to boot...

I wont stop until i get this fixed =|!

#14 ·
The latest transmission recall is worldwide from what I understand, 2.5 million with 1.5 of the total amount in the U.S. The transmission Bulletin doesnt say wether is it for AT or MT but I would definitely bring to the dealers attention and let them look at it.

View attachment a11-049.pdf
View attachment a11-050.pdf

Hopefully these were attached right. As far as where to get these bulletins monthly that I do not know. These were given to me by another member here on DA.

#15 ·
Does this only happen when cold .
Get as much info as when it happens and take it to dealer , it could be something simple .
That recal on AT is for 2.4L vehicles and from the info in TSB it does not sound like it affects normal shifting points at all , only reducing damage from R>N>D and back , like you would if you where stuck in snow , rocking it .

#17 ·
That is definitely how it was explained but I know from my personal driving that the tansmission shifts pretty hard from 1st to 2nd. there was someone on here who claimed to have gotten both these updates and see's a temendouis difference in the everyday drive. I have an appointment friday to have my software updated, but might try and switch for this evening, will revert if I feel there is a difference in my everyday drive.

#16 ·
Don't all I4 Trannys have a removable in line filter??? If so, then it may need replacing. As it would be creating too much pressure from being partially clogged. My magnafine states to replace every year or 10K to 15K. Though it is much larger and has higher flow rating than Honda OEM inline filters.

#20 ·
Ok So I got the two TSB's done last night, at the Middletown Honda Dealership here in Orange county NY, TSB 049 & 050.

On my drive home I noticed a smoother transition between gears. It was almost somewhat unoticeable. Particularly when I go up the mountain I always feel my car switch between gears abrutly to keep up with my current speed. That didnt happen this time around, it was again smoother, it just flowed very nicely, wasnt so obvious or abrupt.

This morning, after the car sat for 12hrs I did my normal half a sleep drive to Dunkin donuts and again I will confirm a more smoother transition between gears particularly during a cold run between 1st and 2nd gear. And I am very very light on the foot, not a speeder but usually my transition in gears would be at its worst in the mornings, not so today.

Now as far as the better MPG and all, that I will be able to tell on my next couple of fill ups to see if my average goes up. Right now I average 27mpg
HWY80/CITY20)

All in all, do the updates, I mean if your worried about loosing "HP" well you should of gotten a 6 cyl. :thmsup:

#21 ·
Oh , I am getting it done . I just don't think there be much change as that is not what the updates are suppose to do . But any improvement will be icing on the cake .

I am on LI so need to check in with dealer if there up to date on there software >HDS system . I am not even sure my LX falls under these fixes as in the both TSB they list the "Failed Part: P/N 37820-R42-A59 " ,which is a EX/EXL ECU , LX has different ECU but who knows they might just added one PN . The VIN# should tell if its covered by these fixes .

#22 ·
I'm curious about these updates. The description that Honda has given for them leads one to believe that they're nothing more than minor tweaks to prevent issues in the future (possible oil consumption and transmission damage). However, the consensus from those who have had the updates performed is that they also improve the car's overall driveability somewhat. I'm wondering if there's any substance behind these claims, or if maybe it's just the placebo effect in action. You'd think that if these claims were true, Honda would've touted the benefits in the bulletin literature. Then again, Honda does tend to quietly make improvements to their cars without advertising them, unless of course they have to do with added features or improved mileage or anything that will aid the car's competitiveness in the segment. For example, everyone knows that Honda improved the Accord's mileage for 2011 via some aero, transmission, and engine tweaks. That information is widely known due to heavy advertising. However, they also made the car quieter, yet never mentioned a word about it to their customers. The dealers that I've talked to are aware of it, but it isn't mentioned anywhere in the press releases that Honda made for the 2011 Accord.

If there is indeed an improvement in power output from these updates as some claim there to be, it'll be interesting to see if Honda makes any published power figure changes for the 2012 Accord, which will include these updates from the factory.

I'm actually eager to get these updates done now myself, to see if I notice the same improvement everyone else has. My 2011 already does just fine, but any improvement would be more than welcome.

#23 ·
I doubt very much if any of these fixes alters max HP/TQ, it might alter part throttle feel /shifting .
Then again just resetting ECU and a vehicle feels better, at least for a few days till ECU relearns again ,so need more long tern feedback .

#29 ·
I took my car in for SB 08-060 and was able to get a free repair out of them. I wrote an email saying I appreciate the fix but do not know exactly what software version I received. Also stated SB 11-033 was for my car. They called me back and we talked and the Service Manager told me he "ate" the costs and that I should have been charged since my car is out of warranty (61k miles) and it was not covered on my extended warranty of 80k miles (is there anyway I can sell since it doesn't seem to cover anything!?)....I told him Honda care said I should be covered until 80k miles regardless because this is a emissions type of warranty which I have until 80k. He said they were wrong. Anyhow I'm happy I got free work done, if they tried to charge I would have pitched a fit anyhow. I definitely notice a difference when shifting from N to D as the bulletin states. I think it's insane that they don't provide this software update for free. It should be a recall IMO.

Anyhow he said Version 2.015.015 was loaded which i'm not sure about but he said it's the latest version they had from November. So I essentially received the fix for 11-033 as well. My car seems a little better when driving as far as transmission switch. I will have to test it a little more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.