Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Sun visors extend?

6K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  willis 
#1 ·
I was out yesterday in my accord and moved my sunvisor to block the drivers window. In doing so I pulled a little too hard and found out that they have the ability to extend to block more of the drivers window. :banana: Maybe I'm easily amused but I think this is a cool feature, and I can't believe it's taken me 10 months to figure it out. :lmao: Makes me wonder if any of my previous vehicles had the same feature..:dunno:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who didn't know their accord did this.

#2 ·
Well some of the cars ive been in had this feature, so for the accord i tried it and figured it out, but when i was getting the car, the sales person showed me that also.

#3 ·
Yea, my 2001 Sentra has it and it comes in very handy! Glad to hear the Accord has it too. In my FJ it has two seperate sun visors, one for the side and the normal one for the front. You sit so far from the windshield in the FJ if the front visor was all you had you would have no sun blockage from the side.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I'm with Joe. I think most cars since like 2000 or so has had them. I know my mom's 2000 Lexus RX has them.

#8 ·
haha if it makes you feel any better, after having my dad's dodge ram for 2 years, i figured out that the truck had the same ability to do it.

I was playing around in my accord one day and did the same, pulled it to hard and it slid out. I thought wow, this is neat!

Then I was in Dad's truck the next day, and figured I'd experiment and see if it did the same. It sure did. I was excited and told my dad, and he basically said yeah dummy, i've been knowing about that feature lol

#14 ·
What? Seriously? I'm going to go play with that thing right now! Sweet! Yah, I'm lame...didn't know it was able to do that either and I've had the car since last August. Cut me some slack though, my last cars were a 94' and a 97'.

#15 ·

i also found out by accident playing with it over the summer.

#16 ·
After reading the thread, I went to my car immediately to check out this feature. OMG, it really exists. I have had the car for 15 months now and never knew this. Living in south florida, the sun is really too much. When I drive, I just tilt my head to the center of the car to avoid too much sun on my face.
Anybody knows any other cool features?

#19 ·
actually, i like the one on my 7th gen better. it has a plastic piece that you can pull out...im scare one day im gonna pull out the whole visor on my 8th gen=X

#20 ·
when i went to put my visor to the side it snapped off and was hanging by the wires of the lighting for the mirror

#24 ·
when you put some tint on the accord coupe, 20%, you don't even need sunglasses in it bc it is so shaded. i do not think I have ever used my sun visor. i live in ft. lauderdale too. extendable sun visor is good, but tint is better haha :)

^^ i did just walk out to my car and check if it extends though, good find OP.

#27 ·
i barley touched the damn thing haha it fell of in my hand! i felt so stupid driving a sick car and then people looking at me at a light giving me the WTF HAPPEND look. :thumbsdow

#28 ·
i could not get it back in for the life of me. it was sparking non stop as i tried putting it back in. so, i had to fricken disconnect the battery, cut the 2 ridiculously skimpy wires, and threw the damn thing in the back seat, elect taped the wire ends & called it a day. now, the dealer can actually fix something the next time i do there & not just say they tried. Only I could screw up a sun visor.

I had not even turned the visor to the window or anything, just flapping it down it came right off. as i mentioned, I had never used it before. but, the plastic notches holding it into the car are very weak and malleable on the edges that hold it in. it's just a matter of time before they give and bend it appears.

#29 ·
Except now that you cut the wires and ripped it off it's unlikely the dealer will fix it under warranty. They are going to tell you that you should have just brought it in and Honda will back them up as would I.

#30 ·
Dude if they tell you that punch them in the face right then and there, bring a screw driver with you walk urself into the lot find an open accord whip out ur screw driver and take a new one. Then take the broken one to the svc dept and tell them to go f' themself. Let them know theres a brand new car in the lot with a broken visor they may wanna get that fixed before someone buys it. There is NO REASON what so ever u should ahve to accept them not repairing it simply becuse u cut the wire. what the hell would they expect you to drive all the way to the dealer with the thing in your face sparking away?

#32 ·
When you do this let me know... I'd like to upgrade a few parts on my car as well!

"Hey that Accord over there says it's a V6 but it's not, I suggest you get that fixed before someone buys it" :lmao:

#34 ·
there is no stopper Joe. the whole visor unit came off, without any extending or turning. just flapping it down, it came off b/c the weak plastic piece that holds it in failed. Imagine if I was on the highway driving 65mph, the sun peaks over the horizon, i reach for the visor and it hits me in the eye and throws a few sparks to boot. you are saying, after i avoid an accident and surrounding traffic/people, i should pull over, disable fuses & continue to drive with it just hanging there by 2 skinny wires like a pendulum?? I had no other choice but to cut it off. This is my only car, as well. I do not have time to even go to a dealership til next week. I am not worried about them covering it, its pretty obvious the plastic thing failed miserably. I will actually put a picture up at some point so you all can see.

#35 ·
Ok, I misunderstood your original post. I didn't realize it was all the way off and hanging down, I thought it just came off too far and that you couldn't get it all the way back on (but it was on partially and fairly secure) and then you just cut the wires. And I never meant for you to pull over on the side of the road and dig around for fuses, but your post made it sound like you were in your driveway or garage testing it out when the problem occurred. My dealer is less than 3 miles away, so I would have just zipped tied it up and driven over there, but if I had to drive any appreciable distance I would have done what you did. If it happened to me on the freeway I very well may have just ripped it off.

And I'm sorry if I came off as blaming you, I wasn't and I was just trying to point out the dealer's perspective when someone shows up with a cut off visor and says fix this.

#36 ·
haha, i really appreciate your recantation. you are right, a lot of people do one thing and say anothr to a dealer to fix a problem under warranty. but, it is pretty evident what happened. It is a combination of the turning joint of the flap is reallllly tight and hard to fold down. since it was the first time opening it, i did not realize i had to support the joint and flap down. so, it just came off entirely. The passenger one folds like butter, zero resistance. so, the plastic joint was too weak for the tight hinge and shabam, fireworks. I was worried most about the wires shorting some fuse & cause the car to activate the alarm and disable the engine or something crazy befitting of my dandy luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.